Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should the queen abdicate?

Should she stay or should she go now?

• NO WAY - she's here, till she's not here, so to speak

Votes: 101 56.4%
  • YES WAY - time to give Charles his moment before he's too old himself!

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • MAYBE WAY - Only if its HRH Prince William who takes over

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • WAY OUT - Make her the last monarch - time for UK to become a republic like Australia did

Votes: 46 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes

She is constantly sick and not turning up for work these days. P45 time

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
She doesn't have to attend events to still be the Queen. Charles can represent her at all official engagements. She can effectively retire from the limelight without retiring from the position. She's come this far and I suspect that she'll want to see the job through to the end.

Yes I’m sure, but does she need to?

I take your point, but I don’t believe she would feel a ‘figurehead’ style role, is sustainable, and will feel obligated to attend some.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Reading this has been interesting because a lot of it mirrors my internal conflict when it comes to royalty in general and The Queen in particular.

I'm not fundamentally pre-disposed to inherited privilege, unelected leaders and me paying for it. But....

- given some of the appallingly poor Prime Ministers and party leaders we've had in this country I'm not sure I'd swap someone with the gravitas of The Queen for a presidential election between Johnson and Corbyn. Yuck. So, as much as I say I'm a fan of democracy, democracy serves little purpose when it's Hobson's Choice

- I quite like the check and balance of a head of state without absolute power. But that lack of absolute power means that we really do only have a figurehead. And so we come to the poll question

- if she's able to do the job at age 96 then it really isn't a job, beyond existing and waving. However
- if it's more work than that then a 96 year old really shouldn't be doing it

In short, until we have better politicians in this country, and for all the time that they bring in attention and tourism from abroad the Royals should remain. But the decision on abdication needs to come from The Queen herself, and it needs to be based on how much her current life is taking out of her.

Some of the other family are, however, to use a favourite [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] phrase, ghastly.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If she had broken her leg, she wouldn’t be able to. She’s got mobility issues. It’s just bad luck and timing. We’re the Jubilee in August or last Feb for example I’m sure she’d be ok. Still that won’t stop all the anti royalists using as a stick to beat the old women with. As if it’s effecting their lives in some way

Pure speculation but she is particularly round-shouldered now so has back problems, so it could be a disc problem, or even osteoporosis, which many older women suffer with. It isn't something just affecting her now but will be until she pops her clogs.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Reading this has been interesting because a lot of it mirrors my internal conflict when it comes to royalty in general and The Queen in particular.

I'm not fundamentally pre-disposed to inherited privilege, unelected leaders and me paying for it. But....

- given some of the appallingly poor Prime Ministers and party leaders we've had in this country I'm not sure I'd swap someone with the gravitas of The Queen for a presidential election between Johnson and Corbyn. Yuck. So, as much as I say I'm a fan of democracy, democracy serves little purpose when it's Hobson's Choice

- I quite like the check and balance of a head of state without absolute power. But that lack of absolute power means that we really do only have a figurehead. And so we come to the poll question

- if she's able to do the job at age 96 then it really isn't a job, beyond existing and waving. However

In short, until we have better politicians in this country, and for all the time that they bring in attention and tourism from abroad the Royals should remain. But the decision on abdication needs to come from The Queen herself, and it needs to be based on how much her current life is taking out of her.

Some of the other family are, however, to use a favourite [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] phrase, ghastly.

The monarchy is the bedrock upon which the British establishment and class system continues to operate. We have a National Anthem that pledges allegiance to an hereditary head of state and barely mentions our country. Despite her overwhelming privileges and wealth the Queen has dedicated herself to service as she sees it, but… Kings & Queens? 21st Century? Really!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes I’m sure, but does she need to?

I take your point, but I don’t believe she would feel a ‘figurehead’ style role, is sustainable, and will feel obligated to attend some.

She doesn't need to but she knows no different life. She's hardly going to have a retirement that she can enjoy and start ticking off things from her bucket list. And if we are being honest, it's not likely to be for much longer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The monarchy is the bedrock upon which the British establishment and class system continues to operate. We have a National Anthem that pledges allegiance to an hereditary head of state and barely mentions our country. Despite her overwhelming privileges and wealth the Queen has dedicated herself to service as she sees it, but… Kings & Queens? 21st Century? Really!

There is nothing in the lyrics of God save the Queen which pledges allegiance.

Several countries have monarchies, and Spain reinstated theirs sometime after ridding themselves of a fascist dictator.

She is also Queen to 54 countries in the Commonwealth.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
She doesn't need to but she knows no different life. She's hardly going to have a retirement that she can enjoy and start ticking off things from her bucket list. And if we are being honest, it's not likely to be for much longer.

I have no beef with her as a person, just what the whole thing represents. I'll be a little sad, when she passes, but I'm far more saddened when someone passes who had an impact on my life, such as a favourite musician.
I really do believe that the monarchy will have rapidly declining support, once she passes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Pretty much agree with most of what you say. As for the last comment, I believe Chas has already indicated he's going to reduce the size of the Royal family so more of the peripheral royals will have to earn a living (that or he'll revert to the more traditional method of reduction at the Tower!!!).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Pretty much agree with most of what you say. As for the last comment, I believe Chas has already indicated he's going to reduce the size of the Royal family so more of the peripheral royals will have to earn a living (that or he'll revert to the more traditional method of reduction at the Tower!!!).

Randy Andy first, please.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Until there's a better option, yes.

We'd fairly much have to rewrite the constitution and parliamentary system. Either we'd exchange a figurehead Queen for a figurehead President who would still need to travel to other countries, attend events and have security detail or we'd need an actual President with executive powers, probably elected from a choice of two, further dividing the country a la Brexit and with the power to bring in almost immediate laws on anything from the culture wars to personal freedom, or we'd call the Prime Minister head of state, in which case we'd have a fat, lecherous liar whose latest achievement was to be booed by a crowd of flag shaggers outside a church.

The Royal Family is the least bad option, so long as they strip back the hangers on and noncey ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here