Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should the queen abdicate?

Should she stay or should she go now?

• NO WAY - she's here, till she's not here, so to speak

Votes: 101 56.4%
  • YES WAY - time to give Charles his moment before he's too old himself!

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • MAYBE WAY - Only if its HRH Prince William who takes over

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • WAY OUT - Make her the last monarch - time for UK to become a republic like Australia did

Votes: 46 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Just feel now is the perfect time for her Majesty to step aside and give the longer suffering (of sort) Charles a few years - though others may have other ideas? what are your thoughts?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's actually probably time for the Monarchy to skip a generation is that's your thing.

There is something really odd about a country that is comfortable with a 96 year old woman still in work and her son (well into retirement age) about to take over.

It debases the entire concept of a Head of State, elected or not. They should retire.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apparently when she was crowned she said she'd do the job for life, but I have my doubts now.

There is nothing left for her to do in the role, and after this big milestone surely she wants to retire ?

I also suspect her heath is worse than we are now lead to believe.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently when she was crowned she said she'd do the job for life, but I have my doubts now.

There is nothing left for her to do in the role, surely she wants to retire ?

I also suspect her heath is worse than we are lead to believe.

Her health is that of a 96 year old women with mobility issues. Quite how allow we allow that to happen as a nation is beyond my comprehension.

Needs reform.

Last edited:

I also suspect her heath is worse than we are now lead to believe.

Yes this is my thoughts exactly. if she cant even make 2/3rds of the planned events she was due to attend her health must be questioned.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There is something really odd about a country that is comfortable with a 96 year old woman still in work and her son (well into retirement age) about to take over.

Not odd at all given her devotion to public service.

"There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors - a noble motto, "I serve". Those words were an inspiration to many bygone heirs to the Throne when they made their knightly dedication as they came to manhood. I cannot do quite as they did.

But through the inventions of science I can do what was not possible for any of them. I can make my solemn act of dedication with a whole Empire listening. I should like to make that dedication now. It is very simple.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

A quite remarkable woman.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How she has spent her life meets no definition of “service” that I’ve ever heard.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not odd at all given her devotion to public service.

"There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors - a noble motto, "I serve". Those words were an inspiration to many bygone heirs to the Throne when they made their knightly dedication as they came to manhood. I cannot do quite as they did.

But through the inventions of science I can do what was not possible for any of them. I can make my solemn act of dedication with a whole Empire listening. I should like to make that dedication now. It is very simple.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

A quite remarkable woman.

Quite clearly a remarkable women, that isn't in any doubt but she is 96.

It's usual for anyone to live that age. What I find distasteful is the media coverage of whether she will attend this or that event. No-one at that age should be expected to attend anything.

This is a question for the nation rather as well as the monarchy.

I'm just listening to the news where a commentator is saying "we have to get used to the Queen not attending everything, but when she does it cheers the nation up"

Is it just me ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite clearly a remarkable women, that isn't in any doubt but she is 96.

It's usual for anyone to live that age. What I find distasteful is the media coverage of whether she will attend this or that event. No-one at that age should be expected to attend anything.

This is a question for the nation rather as well as the monarchy.

I'm just listening to the news where a commentator is saying "we have to get used to the Queen not attending everything, but when she does it cheers the nation up"

Is it just me ?

You could always give the media a swerve.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Will it actually make any difference to anything?

If this is a job that a 96 year old can do it suggests that there really isn't much to do.

Keep the pomp and ceremony for the tourists and flag wavers.

In terms of political and systematic duties, can these not be done by someone elected for less money? (I note that if she hasn't chosen to exercise her right to dissolve your current government she probably never will.)

The queen has abdicated long live the king!

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How she has spent her life meets no definition of “service” that I’ve ever heard.

Honestly, I think you should give it a rest buddy.

She was born into it, she didn't ask for it. I dare say there were times she wished she could have had a life where she had a choice in what she did.

I'm not a Royalist, but I have full respect for someone who spends 70 years having her life organised for her and having to be a credit to the nation.

And she has done it well.

Given the choice between a permanently controlled life like hers, whatever the unnecessary luxuries it brings, or the ordinary suburban tedium I'd choose the latter.

I remember the story of how she sneaked out during the VE Day celebrations in 1945. I bet she wished she could have done more of it.

Premier League footballers have as much access to luxury as she has. The type of luxuries they actually want. But we get excited when they sign for our club.

No monarchy fan here, but to her utmost respect.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Honestly, I think you should give it a rest buddy.

She was born into it, she didn't ask for it. I dare say there were times she wished she could have had a life where she had a choice in what she did.

I'm not a Royalist, but I have full respect for someone who spends 70 years having her life organised for her and having to be a credit to the nation.

And she has done it well.

Given the choice between a permanently controlled life like hers, whatever the unnecessary luxuries it brings, or the ordinary suburban tedium I'd choose the latter.

I remember the story of how she sneaked out during the VE Day celebrations in 1945. I bet she wished she could have done more of it.

Premier League footballers have as much access to luxury as she has. The type of luxuries they actually want. But we get excited when they sign for our club.

No monarchy fan here, but to her utmost respect.

I think you should give it a rest. Rather tedious to keep hearing that her life of unimaginable privilege has somehow been hard for her. What a load of rubbish!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear that this will resolve itself very shortly :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here