Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it be compulsory to reverse into car park spaces?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Had a disabled parking space in Bennett’s Field. Had to drive in to get the ramp down to let my son out the back of the van. On leaving, trying to reverse out into cars stacked up was a nightmare. No one let you out
.............. and that has finally put the idea of compulsory reversing into parking spaces very firmly to bed! Well said! It might be more of an option for most of us, but still there is a problem of opening the boot if a Chelsea tractor is parked within two centimetres of you because that's the only way it can get its arse-end in the space.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
To be taken by wankpanzer drivers only
No for all drivers. Wankpanzers would have their own advanced test to be allowed a wankpanzer even on reasonably sized roads. I don't think any of them would pass the reversing 1/4 mile twisty country lane then pull in tight to the verge as I've never seen one attempt even a fraction of either manoeuvre.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I always reverse into parking spaces, unless it’s a big car park with back to spaces, I usually find an empty area and drive across one space and into another so I’m facing forward when I drive away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always park on the end where I also park a little over the hatched end of parking area there. Failing that, in a corner, even if it’s a long walk to where I’m going. Sick of inconsiderate people who push their doors into my car or even worse kids in SUVS kicking the back doors open.

People who drive straight into spaces often struggle to reverse out or don’t pay enough attention when they do and come out in front of cars already moving towards them in the area they are reversing into. Reversing in is the way to go if parking in the middle of spaces imo.

The thought that some people are actually incapable of reversing confidently is a fact too I think. Treat every other driver as a complete moron is my mantra :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always park on the end where I also park a little over the hatched end of parking area there. Failing that, in a corner, even if it’s a long walk to where I’m going. Sick of inconsiderate people who push their doors into my car or even worse kids in SUVS kicking the back doors open.

People who drive straight into spaces often struggle to reverse out or don’t pay enough attention when they do and come out in front of cars already moving towards them in the area they are reversing into. Reversing in is the way to go if parking in the middle of spaces imo.

The thought that some people are actually incapable of reversing confidently is a fact too I think. Treat every other driver as a complete moron is my mantra :smile:
My Dad had a really nice car in the 90’s, he used to park at the quiet far end of supermarket car parks to avoid the same.

Spaces should be made a bit wider imho.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Dad had a really nice car in the 90’s, he used to park at the quiet far end of supermarket car parks to avoid the same.

Spaces should be made a bit wider imho.
No, cars should be smaller.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'd like to see a higher tier driving license that involves an extra test with lots of reversing.
Those who didn't hold the competent reversing license would be banned from narrow roads, many car parks and pretty much every village in Cornwall.
Much like anything, it comes with experience, how would anyone with a ‘lower tier’ license gain the experience on difficult roads in order to improve?

Reading this thread makes me realise I’m not the angry driver I thought I was, certain things annoy me like lane hogging the fast lane on the A27, people not indicating etc but I’ve never been that frustrated in a car park waiting for someone to reverse, it’s common place and quite amusing most of the time watching it, I’m sure I used to be the one who annoyed people when I first started, it’s normally either new drivers or old dears/fellas who just take a bit more time.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Much like anything, it comes with experience, how would anyone with a ‘lower tier’ license gain the experience on difficult roads in order to improve?

Reading this thread makes me realise I’m not the angry driver I thought I was, certain things annoy me like lane hogging the fast lane on the A27, people not indicating etc but I’ve never been that frustrated in a car park waiting for someone to reverse, it’s common place and quite amusing most of the time watching it, I’m sure I used to be the one who annoyed people when I first started, it’s normally either new drivers or old dears/fellas who just take a bit more time.
No radical solution required - with an L plate and a suitably qualified driver as passenger.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I only passed my test less than a year ago, during my lessons, parking was the one thing we went over more than anything else, both forward and reverse. I didn't like driving in forward.
I always reverse into a space, I find it easier going in and you have way more visibility when leaving as you're facing the right way.
I obviously don't have much experience but it certainly feels the safest and easiest way to park.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I only passed my test less than a year ago, during my lessons, parking was the one thing we went over more than anything else, both forward and reverse. I didn't like driving in forward.
I always reverse into a space, I find it easier going in and you have way more visibility when leaving as you're facing the right way.
I obviously don't have much experience but it certainly feels the safest and easiest way to park.
It also teaches you to use your wing mirrors, for more than checking what’s behind you when driving, and judge widths!

The general standard of driving in heavy traffic is abysmal with too many angry people in a hurry with very little imagination or a foolish feeling of invincibility. Consideration and patience is in short supply imo

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you don't take it too seriously it's not so stupid. It's the NSC way.

sideways parking is best anyway.
Two spaces straddling the white line between them surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here