Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it be compulsory to reverse into car park spaces?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Best seat in the Amex is in the East Upper concourse (OK it's standing) watching the 1901 fans trying to reverse park their cars in bennets field. They are hopeless. Many have almost come to blows with the stewards who insist on reverse parking to ease the exit later. Others wont park where they are told and there is a guaranteed knock every game. I've witnessed one leaving rather than try and reverse park.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Havent you answered your own question. They aid safety and would be very easy to fit to all cars even old ones I would think. Anything that aids safety for the driver or pedestrian etc must be a good thing.

Not really, a reversing camera only shows you a small area directly behind a car, and sensors only cover a small area at the rear, they can't look left and right into the road for you, driving forwards out of a space is much safer than reversing out.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Best seat in the Amex is in the East Upper concourse (OK it's standing) watching the 1901 fans trying to reverse park their cars in bennets field. They are hopeless. Many have almost come to blows with the stewards who insist on reverse parking to ease the exit later. Others wont park where they are told and there is a guaranteed knock every game. I've witnessed one leaving rather than try and reverse park.

Tbf the spaces at the Amex aren't overly generous, and most cars in there seem to be mahoosive saloons and 4x4's.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
You are meant to reverse into a space as you are reversing away from the 'traffic'. If you drive into a space you then have to perform a reverse, which is considered a more difficult manoeuvre, into traffic. Simple really.

This. My children's nursery has reverse parking as a rule as the 'traffic' mentioned above can be small children.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Or different car parks for women/old folk? If you can't reverse in then should you be driving or reversing out for that matter????

Notwithstanding who is driving at the time,
a vehicle is more manoeuvrable when reversing, given the small spaces in supermarkets its pretty impossible to drive in and align the vehicle centrally in the allocated space first time, it can be done easily when reversing.
Most supermarkets have a central pathway for access to your boot.
Not everyone in a car park uses the boot, so there's no argument for driving in and having no access.
Reversing out from a car parking space provides no visibility to the driver and in supermarkets, out of town shopping areas or entertainment facilities there are children and older people walking in the area where the vehicle is reversing into.

I have often seen incidents of vehicles reversing out of parking spaces and wondered how long it will be, if indeed it has not already happened, before someone is killed or seriously injured by this dangerous manoeuvre.

Surprised this rule has not already been enforced.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the answer is better car park layout, so you can drive forwards into a space, and then leave the space driving forwards as well ???

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It depends for me where I am, who I'm with - if I'm popping into a shop on my own i'll reverse, but if I'm with the Mrs and we are shopping then i'll go in first, as to allow access to the boot.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps the answer is better car park layout, so you can drive forwards into a space, and then leave the space driving forwards as well ???
Interesting idea. Unfortunately, I think this would mean that all parking spaces would be single lines, greatly reducing the number of spaces.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting idea. Unfortunately, I think this would mean that all parking spaces would be single lines, greatly reducing the number of spaces.
Or you can just look for two adjacent spaces, end on. Drive in forwards, through the first space and then be all ready to leave the second space going forwards too. Simples!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't mind admitting that I'm often quite shocking at parking, & normally use the furthest away spaces at the supermarket so there is more space.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Or you can just look for two adjacent spaces, end on. Drive in forwards, through the first space and then be all ready to leave the second space going forwards too. Simples!

This close to Christmas, that would be some accomplishment!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think the OP is on about parallel parking on street. Not bay parking. I tend to drive forward into a bay but always reverse into a spot on street. The amount of people I see who drive into spaces and bump up on the pavement is ludicrous. Just reverse in. It's easier and the car is easier to manoeuvre into position going backwards.

Also when reversing into a spot on, say on a high street, I always use the shop windows as an extra aid for how much space you have.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On thinking about this, if you were forced to reverse into a space and you hit a car that you wouldn't have hit if you'd gone in forwards, then you could litigate against the ones forcing you to reverse.

Winner for the lawyers [emoji38]ol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On thinking about this, if you were forced to reverse into a space and you hit a car that you wouldn't have hit if you'd gone in forwards, then you could litigate against the ones forcing you to reverse.

Winner for the lawyers [emoji38]ol:

No. You should have your licence taken away. Reversing in doesn't give any more reason to hit anything than driving in.

Yesterday, I had to quickly reverse away from a car that just reversed out of a space and would have hit me if I hadn't been alert. If it had been coming out forwards, there would have been no excuse for not seeing me.

Reversing in is definitely safer and easier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here