Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it be compulsory to reverse into car park spaces?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If I go into a car park in my van I will try and park well out of the way of others, I avoid supermarkets at busy times.
I occasionally go to the Meridian Centre in Peacehaven, one lunch time I had been in the CO-OP and was sitting in my van in the corner car park which was empty, someone drove in and parked next to me :shrug: as soon as they turned off their engine I drove to the other side of the car park :smile:
When you pop into shops like that, do you double check the van’s definitely locked?

Tradesmen friends of my brother popped into Sainsbury’s Newhaven in broad daylight. They remember beeping the van doors locked. Returning 10 minutes later, all tools had been stolen. The police explained that thieves lay in wait, appearing to be builders having refreshments in their van, surreptitiously using a jammer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Almost as good as “look at me I’m on holiday”, “look at me I shop at Waitrose” :lolol:
Not as cool as the old guy who sat in the car park in a bright Red Chinese eye RR smoking a cigar, while his wife shopped. I'm working up to that Level though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When you pop into shops like that, do you double check the van’s definitely locked?

Tradesmen friends of my brother popped into Sainsbury’s Newhaven in broad daylight. They remember beeping the van doors locked. Returning 10 minutes later, all tools had been stolen. The police explained that thieves lay in wait, appearing to be builders having refreshments in their van, surreptitiously using a jammer.
Yes definitely locked and alarmed, my van hasn’t got any sign writing and probably doesn’t looks like a trade van to some people.
I have heard of tools getting stolen in big supermarket car parks, I avoid Sainsbury’s during the day.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Started 7 years before you appeared on here, you could have stopped it in it’s tracks if you’d been around :wink:
Yeah I know I'm still a newbie and need to build up some cred, but threads like this make me start to wonder what happens in the off-season? Rating your favourite park benches in Brighton and Hove? Best local cafés for knitting vs cafés where crocheting between coffees is encouraged? Mrs Millicent Muggins to sell her official BHAFC sanctioned wares at all home games in 2023/24? FFS!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah I know I'm still a newbie and need to build up some cred, but threads like this make me start to wonder what happens in the off-season? Rating your favourite park benches in Brighton and Hove? Best local cafés for knitting vs cafés where crocheting between coffees is encouraged? Mrs Millicent Muggins to sell her official BHAFC sanctioned wares at all home games in 2023/24? FFS!
yes.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
All of the above…..enjoy the ride, you won’t want to get off :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Favourite sandwich filling and photos of dogs in clothes, what did you have for lunch, what are you having for dinner all generally feature quite regularly

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Driving is a bit ridiculous really isn’t it, it’s all a bit ‘my dad is harder than yours’ childish bollocks.

Some people are crap drivers, some are good, some are average just like everything else in life, if you’re getting annoyed by someone taking 10 seconds longer from your day to reverse into a space because they struggle then maybe there’s other aspects of your life that are causing you to get that annoyed by something so minor.

Poor road etiquette is far more annoying to me because it’s not anything to do with skills/spatial awareness it’s just common sense.

Having driven in Spain and Europe recently I can only say I appreciate UK driving standards a lot more on the whole now.
Trouble is crap drivers endanger lives, and therefore, shouldn't exist.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
That's bollocks for a start. Inept parking is one of my irrational dislikes. When you see a badly parked car that's across a marked bay it'll be a forwards parked vehicle 9 times out of 10. Reversing gives you far better perspective with the door mirrors.

I'd be interested to see which method any professional drivers on here use/prefer.
Agreed
Ok, I get the thing about access to the boot, but if the swing is a bit tight and you forward in, then you will end up across the parking space at an angle. If you reverse ib, the the car effectively be becomes rear wheel steering which means you can correct the angle of approach during the manoeuvre.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
That's bollocks for a start. Inept parking is one of my irrational dislikes. When you see a badly parked car that's across a marked bay it'll be a forwards parked vehicle 9 times out of 10. Reversing gives you far better perspective with the door mirrors.

I'd be interested to see which method any professional drivers on here use/prefer.
This.

When you consider the cars steering is at the front, you are far more likely to collide with another as the front swings out whilst reversing out.

Reverse parking is obviously the better way.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My Dad had a really nice car in the 90’s, he used to park at the quiet far end of supermarket car parks to avoid the same.

Spaces should be made a bit wider imho.
No! If you want to change size make them smaller! Bigger spaces will mean less of them. And if you can't fit your Wankpanzer (lovely word, Dave!) in then buy a smaller car. (Although I appreciate that's getting more difficult now as the choice in new cars seems to be Wankpanzer or Ultra-massive Wankpanzer).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No! If you want to change size make them smaller! Bigger spaces will mean less of them. And if you can't fit your Wankpanzer (lovely word, Dave!) in then buy a smaller car. (Although I appreciate that's getting more difficult now as the choice in new cars seems to be Wankpanzer or Ultra-massive Wankpanzer).
Tis a good follow from across the pond.

Obvs it's know World Bollard Association, but then again what is?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Back on topic. It should be compulsory to drive in forwards in supermarkets. Reason? Shoppers bring all their stuff back to the car in a trolley, then can't push it round to the boot if they reverse parked. Then they have to walk backwards and forwards from the trolley which can roll away in to another shopper's car. Seen it more than once. The boot needs to be readily accessible for loading.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Back on topic. It should be compulsory to drive in forwards in supermarkets. Reason? Shoppers bring all their stuff back to the car in a trolley, then can't push it round to the boot if they reverse parked. Then they have to walk backwards and forwards from the trolley which can roll away in to another shopper's car. Seen it more than once. The boot needs to be readily accessible for loading.
Wrong, if they drive straight in they often cause a shitfest for other drivers trying to get out when they haven’t got a clue what cars are coming down the lane, due to no vision, this having already caused a shitfest unpacking their trolleys which they do in the lane they are going to cause a shitfest reversing into. I roll my eyes every time I go into or leave a busy supermarket car park and see this unfolding.

In short driving straight in is both inconsiderate and stupid, but as long as you are not inconvenienced loading your car f*** everyone you inconvenience arriving or leaving :smile:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is a direct correlation between the number of cars with dented/scraped wheel arches, doors and bumpers and the increase in forward bay parking. If you've ever parked forwards into a bay and had a transit park beside you then surely you must realise how stupid you've been :shrug:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wrong, if they drive straight in they often cause a shitfest for other drivers trying to get out when they haven’t got a clue what cars are coming down the lane, due to no vision, this having already caused a shitfest unpacking their trolleys which they do in the lane they are going to cause a shitfest reversing into. I roll my eyes every time I go into or leave a busy supermarket car park and see this unfolding.

In short driving straight in is both inconsiderate and stupid, but as long as you are not inconvenienced loading your car f*** everyone you inconvenience arriving or leaving :smile:
So I'm wrong, inconsiderate and stupid. Nice. Despite laying out perfectly good reasons for my reply.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So I'm wrong, inconsiderate and stupid. Nice. Despite laying out perfectly good reasons for my reply.
It was not aimed at you personally! I don’t agree with you but it doesn’t make me right, just my opinion :smile:

I am considered a bit Victor Meldrew by friends and family so don’t be offended!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here