Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Argus is running a headline that all 11 victims have been named but I thought there was still one to come after the two cyclists were named over the weekend?

I saw an 11th name yesterday, not sure if it an official release though. Rather selfish, but am a little relieved, now I know all the names, that I didn't know any of them. There are still 11 families with losses though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hav'nt driven the A27 yet and won't until I need too, but it feels a bit weird sitting at home hearing traffic up there again as well as planes flying from the airport.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Living in Upper Beeding and working and having family and friends in Lancing of course means that I travel along this stretch of the A27 most days. It will take a long time, if ever, before I can do this stretch without feeling somewhat emotional.

I think that part of the reason so many people have felt a personal connection with this tragedy, whether they knew/knew of any of the victims or not, is that it is a location that so many are very familiar with. People sometimes forget that although the South coast conurbation is large in terms of population, we are essentially a small community here, located or spending much of our time in the small strip between the South Downs and the English Channel. The A27 and the A259 and the landmarks along their stretches are part of our DNA.

This. My dad lived in Shoreham for a while and my Granddad was in a Nursing Home in Lancing. We did that stretch when my son was a new born baby two or three times a week at least including one air show weekend. Now my son's 8, Granddad is arguing with someone in the big pub in the sky and Dad lives in France we don't so much but we will have to do it on Friday afternoon to get to a weekend at Church Farm. Not looking forward to the drive at all tbh.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I saw an 11th name yesterday, not sure if it an official release though. Rather selfish, but am a little relieved, now I know all the names, that I didn't know any of them. There are still 11 families with losses though.

Not seen the 11th name, but was it a man, making them all men?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I hadn't made that connection, but yes, the name I saw yesterday was male (though I can't actually remember the name or where
I saw it, certainly online, maybe the argus)

Given that there are more male plane enthusiasts then it would be little surprise to see all men.
However, many were simply using the road...odds on all 11 being the same sex, given even chance, are 1024/1
A whole 'football team' lost, an absolute tragedy

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Went to the tollbridge earlier today for the first time. Incredibly moving and humbling. I've had tears building up for ages even though I don't know any of the victims, but they flowed today

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Given that there are more male plane enthusiasts then it would be little surprise to see all men.
However, many were simply using the road...odds on all 11 being the same sex, given even chance, are 1024/1

It’s no consolation to the victims and it is sad enough as it is, but it is lucky that whole families and children were not caught up in this. If this accident could have got any worse that would have topped it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

There were certainly women very close by, a mother and her daughter were sitting waiting for the show and had to run for it. The odds of hitting those in the cars, the motorbiker, the cyclists and walkers all being men is pure chance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It’s no consolation to the victims and it is sad enough as it is, but it is lucky that whole families and children were not caught up in this. If this accident could have got any worse that would have topped it.

Likewise it could so easily have been a coach full of people, possibly even one on the way to the Amex.

This. My dad lived in Shoreham for a while and my Granddad was in a Nursing Home in Lancing. We did that stretch when my son was a new born baby two or three times a week at least including one air show weekend. Now my son's 8, Granddad is arguing with someone in the big pub in the sky and Dad lives in France we don't so much but we will have to do it on Friday afternoon to get to a weekend at Church Farm. Not looking forward to the drive at all tbh.

I drove to Shoreham to lay some flowers on Sunday placed them on the footbridge,
Both myself & Mrs L'hampton_Eagle were very moved and with a lump in our throats found it hard not to let the tears flow.
It was indeed a very emotional drive along the stretch by the Sussex pad and again on the way back past the green screens where the Police are still doing their forensics.
We were moved by all the floral and written tributes from everyone both locals,Bha and other football teams supporters paying their respects.

Rip to all those who died.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Why do they quote the time of the accident as 12:22? It was an hour later wasn't it?

They are using UTC (co-ordinated universal time) which is the basis for civil time that all the time zones then work off, British Summer Time is 1 hour ahead of UTC so the accident happend at 12:22 UTC, 13:22 BST

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well done. :thumbsup:

A very kind gesture.

My husband and I have been deeply shocked and saddened by the Shoreham Air disaster. Our deepest Condolences go to all the family and friends. We would like to help in a small way. My husband Peter is a director at H D Tribe Ltd. When a youngster passes there is no fee for a funeral and we feel this should be the same for the Shoreham victims. Please contact Peter on W.234516.

With respect ~ can friends of those affected pass this information on.. This may well help those that are currently grieving.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well done. :thumbsup:

A very kind gesture.

My husband and I have been deeply shocked and saddened by the Shoreham Air disaster. Our deepest Condolences go to all the family and friends. We would like to help in a small way. My husband Peter is a director at H D Tribe Ltd. When a youngster passes there is no fee for a funeral and we feel this should be the same for the Shoreham victims. Please contact Peter on W.234516.

With respect ~ can friends of those affected pass this information on.. This may well help those that are currently grieving.

Ian Hart also

The Worthing Journal
The WJ must commend Worthing funeral directors, including Ian Hart and HD Tribe, who have offered their services gratis to families of local victims of the Shoreham Airshow disaster. A genuinely commendable gesture at such a traumatic time, showing the incredible strength of community spirit in Worthing!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just posted this in the walk thread above

Karen and I went to see the bridge and lay some flowers and I am not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out with how people have left flowers and the most moving notes. There is a section near the middle with flowers, cards and memorabilia with " dad" prominent and that set me off. By the time I got to snoobs/ Jacob's flowers and the messages, I was totally overwhelmed when seeing the remf shirt hanging there.

From the first discussions we had setting up a charity in the name of Robert to remember him and try to bring something positive out of that catastrophe, to all the fabulous work done by gareth, Kev Risby ed and ros, tony, Brett and so many more names too many to mention, I have been so proud of the fans of brighton and crystal palace who tirelessly dip into their pockets to support the fund. Seeing the tributes to snoobs and the messages was so moving and I am so sorry I can't make the walk, but I know that those who do will make him and his family so proud.

Moments like today are very special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here