Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Are you on a wind up? Wrong thread if you are.

Most of us are local, driven on that road and stopped at those traffic lights. On a different day could of been anyone of us or someone we know. Very sobering thought.
im not on a wind up at all , ive also driven that road and sat at those lights countless times , a mate of mine who also posts on here was very good mates with one of the kids killed , who played cricket with him only last thursday, i just cant get my head round someone having nightmares about something they werent present at.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Bless all of you on NSC, I have just received wonderful news, my brother is fine. Without letting anyone know he changed his mind about the airshow and instead visited Salisbury. His home phone had broken and he forgot to take his mobile. His friend travelled to visit family in Scotland.

I am acutely aware of the power, mostly good, of NSC and it's brotherhood of wonderful people who offer such help and kindness when it's needed. I'm lucky, sadly so many are not and my heart goes out to them, I know from held back tears how you feel.

Again, bless & thank you all, and those that prayed for me may your God be with you. Boroseagull

Great news - you must be so relieved.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I used to get annoyed at my Mum for wanting to know the details of where I was going if I was going away i.e. hotel names, but cases like Westdene's and Boroseagull's on here show that a bit of information like that could save a hell of a lot of pain and suffering for relatives desperately trying to get hold of someone in instances such as this.

Could not agree more. I have a daughter who spent three months touring The USA last year plus often goes away to various events at weekends. She is 21 but when I ask where she will be, I often get a response with 'attitude' along the lines of "why do you need to know". Some people just don't get it. Despite their age, knowing roughly where a loved one may be can save a lot of stress and worry if there was a possibility they may have been caught up in an horrific incident like Saturdays.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
im not on a wind up at all , ive also driven that road and sat at those lights countless times , a mate of mine who also posts on here was very good mates with one of the kids killed , who played cricket with him only last thursday, i just cant get my head round someone having nightmares about something they werent present at.

Are you able to control your dreams?

Bless all of you on NSC, I have just received wonderful news, my brother is fine. Without letting anyone know he changed his mind about the airshow and instead visited Salisbury. His home phone had broken and he forgot to take his mobile. His friend travelled to visit family in Scotland.

I am acutely aware of the power, mostly good, of NSC and it's brotherhood of wonderful people who offer such help and kindness when it's needed. I'm lucky, sadly so many are not and my heart goes out to them, I know from held back tears how you feel.

Again, bless & thank you all, and those that prayed for me may your God be with you. Boroseagull

Fantastic news Derek, you must be so relieved. If Málaga wasn't four hours away i'd come down and buy you several beers!

You now hold the record for the most quoted post on NSC :thumbsup:

Martyn

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"Albion chief executive Paul Barber last night visited the family of Matt Grimstone", according to Naylor.

Good man. I don't think many people including me, will ever know what it's like to be in their position, but it's humbling to see the amount of support going out to the victims' families.

Very well done indeed, Mr Barber.

He didn't have to do it, and would not be human if he wasn't full of anxiety about what he would witness in terms of raw emotion when he got there. But knowing it would be appreciated, he put his own anxieties to the back of his mind. In the great scheme of things, it doesn't lessen their grief one iota, but it was a tremendous gesture on his part.

I applaud you, sir!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

Have you ever had dreams of films and/or TV programmes?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
What a nice thing to do in extremely difficult circumstances by Mr Barber. ITV national news just showed a clip of Mr Barber saying a few words and there is a reporter at the training ground.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've just seen the video people were referring too of the scene straight after, its sickening, can only hope by the state of the vehicles that none of the victims suffered.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
"Reports from this morning suggest the RAF’s famous Red Arrows display team ruled the danger level was too high to perform their full stunt programme at Shoreham.

A former airshow promoter who has worked with the Red Arrows and helped organise airshows around Britain told the Mirror:

I have friends involved in the organisation of Shoreham Air Show and have been there several times.

"The Red Arrows refuse to display there as they say the surrounding area is far too dangerous and could lead to a major accident.

"All they will do at Shoreham is a straight fly-past with red, white and blue smoke coming out the back of the jets.

"They have refused point blank to do an acrobatic display. They say there is no fall-out zone and any accident would be a disaster there.

"There is nowhere for them to put a plane down without killing someone.

"Every year the organisers apply for a Red Arrows display but they turn them down."

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
CNLA-LKWcAEXgLZ.jpg

Grimstone’s colleagues laid a green goalkeeper’s Jersey with his name on in and a Brighton and Hove Albion hoodie next to the dozens of floral tributes already left there. Many cried and embraced each other.

Head groundsman Steve Winterburn said there was “something exceptional” about Grimstone.

“Our ground staff are a very tight team like any great team,” he said.

“We all loved Matt dearly. Matt was one if the kindest people you could meet. He never had an unkind word to say about anyone. We are all feeling it and for his family. You couldn’t wish to meet a nicer person.”

:(

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
"Reports from this morning suggest the RAF’s famous Red Arrows display team ruled the danger level was too high to perform their full stunt programme at Shoreham.

A former airshow promoter who has worked with the Red Arrows and helped organise airshows around Britain told the Mirror:

I have friends involved in the organisation of Shoreham Air Show and have been there several times.

"The Red Arrows refuse to display there as they say the surrounding area is far too dangerous and could lead to a major accident.

"All they will do at Shoreham is a straight fly-past with red, white and blue smoke coming out the back of the jets.

"They have refused point blank to do an acrobatic display. They say there is no fall-out zone and any accident would be a disaster there.

"Every year the organisers apply for a Red Arrows display but they turn them down."

They clearly changed their minds about that then

albionite

May 20, 2009

Was curious about why no red arrows at shoreham, was told they are not allowed to fly over Worthing, but yours makes more sense.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Where are on earth did that come from???? The 'box' that the Red Arrows display in is way too big for Shoreham, it's nothing to do with the 'area' they display in and hence they don't display. The RAF send plenty of teams each year, clearly someone has an axe to grind.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
My fear is that although the focus has been on cars being involved, there's usually a fair number of people on foot who watch the show from that area near the traffic lights, plus there'll be car park stewards around there.

I am afraid this is true. I was waiting at the lights at 1pm. There were dozens of people on the verge by the Sussex pad and on the airport side of the road. I count my blessings that I can wasn't 20 minutes later. Such an appalling tragedy. My thoughts are with all affected by this terrible accident RIP

albionite

May 20, 2009

Will leave it at that, the mind is a funny thing and we all process things differently.

I can understand people seeing images they are not used to seeing apart from in films and playing it over again in their thoughts.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Where are on earth did that come from???? The 'box' that the Red Arrows display in is way too big for Shoreham, it's nothing to do with the 'area' they display in and hence they don't display. The RAF send plenty of teams each year, clearly someone has an axe to grind.

Telegraph live feed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here