Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings and explosion in Paris!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Taken from the article - suggests that becoming more informed about ISIS is a decent start at trying to defeat it.

pretending that it isn’t actually a religious, millenarian group, with theology that must be understood to be combatted, has already led the United States to underestimate it and back foolish schemes to counter it. We’ll need to get acquainted with the Islamic State’s intellectual genealogy if we are to react in a way that will not strengthen it, but instead help it self-immolate in its own excessive zeal.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't care at all. Just don't pontificate about articles you haven't read or try bullshitting everyone with stupid reasons why you haven't read it such as "I'm too busy", when you're clearly not.

You seem to be muddling yourself up with someone that might be relevant to me.

The author of the piece is a Democratic Liberal, it will reflect his politique and for you to somehow reject this shows how stupid you are.

I have said it shouldnt disqualify his view but it plainly cannot be definitive, on a personal level I am becoming less interested in the politics of the Middle East and its tribal warfare, it all seems a bit of a barbaric part of the globe and I am not too eager to try to understand its complexities.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

The author of the piece is a Democratic Liberal, it will reflect his politique and for you to somehow reject this shows how stupid you are.

I have said it shouldnt disqualify his view but it plainly cannot be definitive, on a personal level I am becoming less interested in the politics of the Middle East and its tribal warfare, it all seems a bit of a barbaric part of the globe and I am not too eager to try to understand its complexities.

You must be a bit interested, as you are involving yourself in this discussion. Although it must be said that at present you are more involved in the discussion about reading an article than about the Middle East.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have yet to see a compelling argument why being intolerant of any religion that relies on brainwashing most of it's followers from an earl age to sustain it is a bad thing.

If any other institution decreed the death penalty for those that leave it's embrace or promoted segregation of different sexes or subjugation of women or condemnation for sexual orientation (to name but a few examples) it would be rightly pilloried.

Are we supposed to tolerate this belief system because the followers are a minority in this country, mainly of a different colour skin, different ethnicity or just because the label religion gives it a free pass?

Yes of course, the majority of the Muslim world are all brain washed. I'll leave you here I think.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Despicable acts, carried out by despicable people, but I can't help but feel this outpouring of grief in wake of the Paris incidents is a sad reflection on the fact the west only care about attacks on itself, ISIS carry out attacks in the Middle East and nobody bats an eyelid, yet with this we have Cameron & other leaders essentially saying they will follow France into battle should they do so.

I don't know, I'm not trying to be controversial I just think it's sad that it takes the Paris attack for action to be discussed

It's sad but true to state that the Middle East has been attacking itself for decades, there must be a certain numbing that occurs. However the particular barbarity of IS has hit the attention up a notch, I mean it's on our 'Western' screens daily and it has politicians talking daily even without the Paris incident.

It's obvious that an incident occurring in France, just miles from our shores in a neighbouring country and long held ally - will cause a lot of outcry over here from our population and our media. Not least because the fear of it happening in our country becomes all the greater, as I'm sure it inevitably will at some point sadly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So why haven't we got rid of them?

because the political leaders of europe , until very recently , have been living under the misconception that they have it all under control ......clearly they don't , perhaps the LATEST BARBARIC ACT will ram home the fact that things are not all that ****ing rosy on the street.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
As much as I agree with this sentiment, it hasn't done the French much good has it? They are a secular republic and whilst I feel the absence of religion from the state is to be applauded, it has also bred intolerance in the French public who now won't accept anything that isn't pure French. Consequently there is simmering resentment everywhere and there are ghettos all over Paris that are far worse than our trouble spots.
But ask yourself how much worse it would be in France, had all those millions of children been subjected only to the teachings of Islam?

Exposing children of all backgrounds to the concepts of critical thinking, rational argument and an open-minded approach to life could be expected over time to result in the instinctive rejection of relentless religious brainwashing derived from ancient myths and hatreds.

As someone else once observed, it's time for people everywhere with minds imprisoned by religion to get up off their knees, and use their brains.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
because the political leaders of europe , until very recently , have been living under the misconception that they have it all under control ......clearly they don't , perhaps the LATEST BARBARIC ACT will ram home the fact that things are not all that ****ing rosy on the street.

oh i see, They may have been trying to pretend that they had it under control, i don't think they or we have ever really believed it.

So how do we do it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, sorry, I'm really not doing that. I fully recognise that I am of no more relevance to you, than you are to me. But this is a message board, a forum for views. You just don't happen to like the inconvenient truth that you are a bit of an ignoramus.

Hahaha. I'm simply pointing out - along with one or two others it must be said - that you're a bit of an ignoramus, prepared to dismiss an article out-of-hand based on the politics of the author, rather than what was actually written. I'm not rejecting your comment on the author (as being a bit of simpleton, you accuse me of doing), I am simply suggesting you READ what he says before commenting on it. No more, no less.

And with that, I'm done with talking to you.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So is getting out of their lands and stopping the bombing the answer? That way surely some, most or all of those people that are 'overrunning' european countries can go back to their homelands?

clearly there is little point talking to you on this subject.......if you think this problem only started a year ago then you is proper fffikk..!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is the first time I've opened this thread. Great to see a thread about a tragic event has followed the usual pattern of turning into squabbling nonsense.

Well done everyone

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
clearly there is little point talking to you on this subject.......if you think this problem only started a year ago then you is proper fffikk..!

Wtf? Where do you get that idea from??

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is the first time I've opened this thread. Great to see a thread about a tragic event has followed the usual pattern of turning into squabbling nonsense.

Well done everyone
:thumbsup: sorry to upset you sausage but a tragedy is usually some sort of accident or natural disaster , not a calculated murderous act by a bunch of religious loooonaticts.....no humour here either mate , although there is one particular poster who is displaying a perpetual obtuse angle whilst demonstrating a terrible memory.....c'est la vie ....!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But ask yourself how much worse it would be in France, had all those millions of children been subjected only to the teachings of Islam?

Exposing children of all backgrounds to the concepts of critical thinking, rational argument and an open-minded approach to life could be expected over time to result in the instinctive rejection of relentless religious brainwashing derived from ancient myths and hatreds.

As someone else once observed, it's time for people everywhere with minds imprisoned by religion to get up off their knees, and use their brains.
I'm sure the 8% of the French population who are Muslim ARE exposed to teachings of Islam - just not by the state. As I say, this is something I very much applaud in the French, along with an awful lot of other things (especially republicanism).

I think your last comment is unfair as I know so many intelligent people who are religious. Don't you? At the end of the day, blind faith seems to be down to the individual, but seems to me that the danger is in how these faiths are taught.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

For f***s sake just read the f***ing article and THEN comment on it. So boring.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Wtf? Where do you get that idea from??

you have been constantly baiting anyone who displayed anything like what you would call "racist" tendencies over the last few months , well now you've got the proof of your pudding.......try not to choke on it.....end of chat ...yeah...??

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No, sorry, I'm really not doing that. I fully recognise that I am of no more relevance to you, than you are to me. But this is a message board, a forum for views. You just don't happen to like the inconvenient truth that you are a bit of an ignoramus.

Hahaha. I'm simply pointing out - along with one or two others it must be said - that you're a bit of an ignoramus, prepared to dismiss an article out-of-hand based on the politics of the author, rather than what was actually written. I'm not rejecting your comment on the author (as being a bit of simpleton, you accuse me of doing), I am simply suggesting you READ what he says before commenting on it. No more, no less.

And with that, I'm done with talking to you.

Thats twice you have called me an ignoramus in one post, next you will be making face and hand gestures, there was a kid in school that was brilliant at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here