Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaker Aamer released from Guantanamo

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He left Saudi Arabia a long time ago. He's lived in America before, and worked for the US Army as a translator during the first Gulf War. He first arrived in the UK in the mid-90s.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Strange how some folk expound the superior virtues of western democracy, yet fail to condemn the imprisonment and torture of someone who has no recourse to a fair trial.

Very much this.

Jan 30, 2008
plenty of murderers and rapists have been released into the uk community, in many cases, in less than 13 years, and they were actually found guilty of committing a crime in the uk, rather than taking an american occupiers words for it and being detained at guantanamo for 13 years without charge, or trial.
Maybe some of our news gatherers can list all convicted criminals being released, from uk jails on a daily basis so we can be more vigilant. Much more chance of these people affecting your lives.
fortunately you don't live here :whistle:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Different laws for different countries though isnt it. Saudi is the home of Islam. Its going to have wierdness going on.
I find things weird here. Police go mental if Im stopped for document checks (where else does that happen in Europe) and im not carrying ID, and end up paying a bribe, yet ive been smoking a joint in the street, and an officer has come to me to ask me if the car I was standing by was mine, completely ignoring the fact that me and my mate are standing there smoking joints.
THAT EXPLAINS YOUR MIND NUMBING POSTS THEN
regards
DR

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The whole argument seems to hinge on this. If your in a war zone, especially as a foreign national it would be quite easy to be executed as a spy, ie you need a damn good reason to be there

he should be strung up years ago or sent back to saudi and his wife booted out.

So you are condoning extrajudicial executions of people with unproven guilt. Is that a fair process ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He left Saudi Arabia a long time ago. He's lived in America before, and worked for the US Army as a translator during the first Gulf War. He first arrived in the UK in the mid-90s.

Surely the US army would have had a record of that, which would have cleared his name.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Locked up without CHARGE for 14 years pretty says all you need to know. We either stand for ht rule of law or we don't. The OP assumes guilt without any real evidence of any wrong doing whatsoever.

I thought we left the unlawful detention and torture of people to the bad guys, or is it allowed when we are the people doing it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It really depends (in bold) how he uses his time when he is out. I would like to think there is a possibility that he could be an inspiration for restraint against radicalisation. From the article posted http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1914791.html he sounds like a rational and intelligent person.

Dont be so bloody daft, he will have his entourage of advisor's, lawyers and apologists his next stop is compensation, lots of it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dont be so bloody daft, he will have his entourage of advisor's, lawyers and apologists his next stop is compensation, lots of it.
Probably none of us will every know the truth of his guilt or otherwise (though many will have opinions that they will present as if fact!), but I don't think there's much doubt about 'entourage of advisor's, lawyers and apologists his next stop is compensation, lots of it'!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The two things aren't connected though, are they?

Just because he has worked for US government in the past doesn't mean that he couldn't have gone on to commit crimes in the future.

Identification for starters. Has he committed a crime?

Dec 15, 2014
Here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here