Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No. I haven't imposed any way.

I have read this thread with interest and see that a full analysis could be looked at in the summer, open minded to scheme changes. I haven't doubled down.

I have posed the question as to whether Barber has taken us as far as he can.

He was getting nothing but praise a few months ago. I’m just surprised that you (or anyone) would think his job would be under threat over this trivial issue. He does a hell of a lot more than be responsible for the ticket sharing scheme. The implication of asking whether Barber has taken us as far as he can is that his replacement would need to agree with your stance on ticket sharing and nothing else really matters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He was getting nothing but praise a few months ago. I’m just surprised that you (or anyone) would think his job would be under threat over this trivial issue. He does a hell of a lot more than be responsible for the ticket sharing scheme. The implication of asking whether Barber has taken us as far as he can is that his replacement would need to agree with your stance on ticket sharing and nothing else really matters.

Surprised if anyone thinks that…..poor understanding of what a CEO role encompasses if so. He’s just got this one a bit wrong……but although trivial on the face if it, he’s either unaware (unlikely) or in denial about the strength of feeling amongst at least a decent proportion of the fanbase. Compounding that by totally dismissing the views, insisting he’s right and publicly criticising fans isn’t an overly clever move.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It is his attitude displayed in his response to criticism which leads me to the question. The scheme is incidental in that respect.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
An excellent piece. How long until Barber bans them from the Amex?

Allegedly there have been occasions where stewards at the Amex have deliberately kept a particularly watchful eye on the conduct of the WAB contributors during matches. As one of the few outlets of Albion-related content that isn't afraid to dish out some criticism, that sort of thing can't be entirely coincidental, IMO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Allegedly there have been occasions where stewards at the Amex have deliberately kept a particularly watchful eye on the conduct of the WAB contributors during matches. As one of the few outlets of Albion-related content that isn't afraid to dish out some criticism, that sort of thing can't be entirely coincidental, IMO.

NSC has been unafraid to dish out criticism of the club. I haven’t seen any of the Mods request that people fall into line for fear of a tap on the shoulder at a game. I think people are getting a bit carried away with all this. BHAFC is not an Oldham. Very far from it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus wept

Some people really need to get over themselves.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Surprised if anyone thinks that…..poor understanding of what a CEO role encompasses if so. He’s just got this one a bit wrong……but although trivial on the face if it, he’s either unaware (unlikely) or in denial about the strength of feeling amongst at least a decent proportion of the fanbase. Compounding that by totally dismissing the views, insisting he’s right and publicly criticising fans isn’t an overly clever move.

Let's face it, he isn't the CEO of a plc. BHA is a private business with a benefactor owner so its not like he has shareholders, governance analysts or the Board to worry about. All he needs is support from TB - and it looks like he's getting it given the "loyalty bonus" and rather nice pay packet he's receiving.

He needs to remember that sometimes....

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
My perspective: I read PB response and struggled to disagree with sentiments of most of it.. I don't like the new scheme, but important for me to read (be reminded) of some other broader issues on which these decisions have been taken, not just by our Club. I think his assertion that the article is "click-bait" is misjudged, unnecessary and detracts from what had been a detailed, direct and fact-based response that is rare outside of this Club. His response could have simply finished with a "keen to make sure an alternative view is available" type of statement, and thus suggests a frustration that he was feeling when he responded and the now the narrative has shifted to "the Club don't like criticism".
The scheme may well change as result of more research, stats, dialogue etc. It may not, if the "negatives" it is aimed at reducing deliver. One good alternative has been posted a few responses ago on this thread. I think as a fanbase we need to be careful so as not to close the accessibility we have with PB and others. It is unusual and healthy IMO, and occasionally, "we" may get a barbed, edgy tone in response (One small part of a substantial reply) - a reasonable price to pay once in a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...or maybe 'besmirching the CEO' :D

Seemingly others would have us believe they have spent time:-

Poking the bear.
Making money from the bears hard work.
Gaining a 'presence' from poking the bear.

& are now crying because the bear bit back.

As said there's a lot of getting over ones self, all across this issue, and this thread.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I have some sympathy with the desire to digitise the process. It’s fair that Barber points out that paper tickets and people handing them to whoever they want is not the way forward for lots of reasons. And in truth the system works well once you’ve paid for it. The issue is therefore one of pricing and communications. If they scrapped the £20 up front fee, and the Albion+ membership requirement, and instead said you can transfer to anyone in your friends and family list, subject to an admin/booking fee (about £5, that could be paid by the ST holder or the receiver) each time, they’d make similar money, still be able to digitise and track who has the ticket, and everyone would be happy.

You can have that one [MENTION=12198]paul[/MENTION], free of charge, but I reserve the right to charge a consultancy fee for future projects :thumbsup:

Why should you have to pay £5 admin fee? What admin? it's all done digitally. In a large proportion of cases the person taking the ticket will be reimbursing the season ticket holder already. It's simple; we should be able to transfer our ticket to any registered Brighton fan with a fan number, and then the ground will be full for matches and we won't have a repeat embarrassment like the Wolves match...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've discussed this issue away from the board with quite a few Albion supporting fans. There's as much an issue with perception and PR as anything else (IMO).

I got my ST where it is because it could take our big group of 9 together. Since then we've become good mates with the 3 directly behind me. Those three normally turned up to game together but, every now and again, one couldn't make it and another family member or friend came in. Then, to the right and back of our group there are two seats shared by four people.

By FAR the biggest moan across this group this season has been the ticket sharing scheme. It should suit the group of 4 but two of them were annoyed because it meant them having to join Albion+ for a fee as well as £40 being added to the overall cost of the shared tickets. The guys behind us are annoyed as it's made the occasional share within their family much harder (and one is an old boy who doesn't have a smart phone, so now his paper ticket has his photo on). The bloke I travel with is incensed.

In reality it may not be that much money and it may be helpful to the club but the perception among those I see at games is that the Albion are ripping off fans. Yes, the club lost money in the pandemic but so did most working people. And our group are older and old school. What I would call loyal fans who went to Withdean, go away. Not your JCLs and DFL new money.

And (moving on to PR) those are the sorts of fans who write WAB and read it. And, if Covid continues much longer, they are the only type of fan who is going to go regularly. You'll lose elderly people and those with health problems but the chances are they might not be able to make every game anyway, but you can clearly see from the huge gaps in the East Stand that little Rupert is no longer being brought in from Fiveways or Hurstpierpoint. If families, the old and the sick cannot pass on tickets easily and if club essays dig out old school, ultra loyal fans, then you're losing goodwill everywhere,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should you have to pay £5 admin fee? What admin? it's all done digitally. In a large proportion of cases the person taking the ticket will be reimbursing the season ticket holder already. It's simple; we should be able to transfer our ticket to any registered Brighton fan with a fan number, and then the ground will be full for matches.

Yes
Yes
Yes
&
No.

The ground won't be full until the team wins.

If IF the players, coaches & manager scraped the bottom of the barrel v Wolves.

If a few stonking wins appear, then the ground will be full.
We might even have some atmosphere to go along with it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've discussed this issue away from the board with quite a few Albion supporting fans. There's as much an issue with perception and PR as anything else (IMO).

I got my ST where it is because it could take our big group of 9 together. Since then we've become good mates with the 3 directly behind me. Those three normally turned up to game together but, every now and again, one couldn't make it and another family member or friend came in. Then, to the right and back of our group there are two seats shared by four people.

By FAR the biggest moan across this group this season has been the ticket sharing scheme. It should suit the group of 4 but two of them were annoyed because it meant them having to join Albion+ for a fee as well as £40 being added to the overall cost of the shared tickets. The guys behind us are annoyed as it's made the occasional share within their family much harder (and one is an old boy who doesn't have a smart phone, so now his paper ticket has his photo on). The bloke I travel with is incensed.

In reality it may not be that much money and it may be helpful to the club but the perception among those I see at games is that the Albion are ripping off fans. Yes, the club lost money in the pandemic but so did most working people. And our group are older and old school. What I would call loyal fans who went to Withdean, go away. Not your JCLs and DFL new money.

And (moving on to PR) those are the sorts of fans who write WAB and read it. And, if Covid continues much longer, they are the only type of fan who is going to go regularly. You'll lose elderly people and those with health problems but the chances are they might not be able to make every game anyway, but you can clearly see from the huge gaps in the East Stand that little Rupert is no longer being brought in from Fiveways or Hurstpierpoint. If families, the old and the sick cannot pass on tickets easily and if club essays dig out old school, ultra loyal fans, then you're losing goodwill everywhere,

Love the Rupert quip :lolol:

A good summary of where many stand, imho. Not just the elderly, also some loyal folk in their 40’s and 50’s. Life’s complicated just now, gone are the days of simply leaving home with your keys and money. More admin is burdensome, it’s offputting.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why should you have to pay £5 admin fee? What admin? it's all done digitally. In a large proportion of cases the person taking the ticket will be reimbursing the season ticket holder already. It's simple; we should be able to transfer our ticket to any registered Brighton fan with a fan number, and then the ground will be full for matches and we won't have a repeat embarrassment like the Wolves match...

Maybe the club should do away with the discount for owning a ST ? If people aren’t buying them to go to every game then why should the individual match ticket be cheaper than for non ST holders ? I’m playing Devil’s Advocate but can’t you see that there is always a counter argument that also makes sense ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Love the Rupert quip :lolol:

A good summary of where many stand, imho. Not just the elderly, also some loyal folk in their 40’s and 50’s. Life’s complicated just now, gone are the days of simply leaving home with your keys and money. More admin is burdensome, it’s offputting.

Indeed, plus I just hate my seat being empty - the fact I literally can't give it away really grates. Junior and I have both gone to one match on our own this season because of this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Agree with the bulk of your post apart from the last bit. Huge numbers of stay-aways were clearly and understandably trying to minimise their chances of catching covid prior to xmas

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed, plus I just hate my seat being empty - the fact I literally can't give it away really grates. Junior and I have both gone to one match on our own this season because of this.

A pendant would write:-

it's not your seat - you just rent it.

I'm just grateful I'm not 'that' arse-biscuit.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here