Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs England

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I am constantly baffled how England managers take players who are excellent for their clubs, and turn them into League One hoofers. And some of them just didn't seem interested. Reece James struggled to break into a sweat! Kane just lumbered around like an overweight Ricky Lambert. Foden looked lively every now and again but continuously turned backwards. or took the easy option. Kalvin Phillips obviously did all his running last weekend, as he looked completely knackered. Sterling lost the ball or mis-controlled it pretty much every time. And don't get me started on Mings!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This team won the WC quarter final 2-0, outclassing Sweden.

(NSC slagged off) Henderson rarely lets England down, anchoring that entire midfield, look at all the creativity, pace and goals ahead of him.

View attachment 137820

Rice, Phillips, Foden, Kane, James and Sterling had shockers tonight. As did Southgate.

Don’t think it’s the team, it’s the formation for me.

Having Rice AND Phillips is pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Southgate played it safe to tonight, two defensive midfielders in front of a back four meant that England were never going to get an overload on Scotland, and vice versa, so a draw was pretty inevitable.

As an aside I found myself wondering how much better our play out of the back could have been if you'd had someone with a better passing range than Mings alongside Stones. Someone like, I dunno, Lewis Dunk for instance.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So good he got pulled off against fecking Scotland. Flat track bully

Last four seasons he has 28 goals in 34 European matches and 117 in 159 EPL.

Is there any track that isn't flat ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Mings had one of his better games, actually. There was also a brilliant comedy skit when he tried to score what appeared to be an arthritic overhead kick from a corner. That was great!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We were poor.
Created very little. Disappointed by both full back in terms of creativity. I know he’s injured by TAA was cried out for tonight.
Midfield of rice and Phillips isn’t good enough to break teams who sit and Southgate a man who allegedly picks on form picks favourites as per normal.
Grealish as much as he’s a cheating ******* at times is in all honesty the most creative player we have by far and needs to play. Sancho has had a blinding 2nd half to the season and should have been on for Sterling by half time.
Can’t see anyone in the last 8 onwards being worries about England

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Did you used to watch a load of club and England football in the 80’s and 90’s. Gazza was amazing for Newcastle and especially Spuds, so often England MOTM, running complete games (pre and post injury).

The greatest English player in my 48 years of watching, by a country mile.

Yep.

1991 FA Cup Semi-Final Gascoigne 2 Arsenal 0 after 10 minutes including THAT free kick and opening up the defence for the other. Magic.

Shame about the Final.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Southgate played it safe to tonight, two defensive midfielders in front of a back four meant that England were never going to get an overload on Scotland, and vice versa, so a draw was pretty inevitable.

As an aside I found myself wondering how much better our play out of the back could have been if you'd had someone with a better passing range than Mings alongside Stones. Someone like, I dunno, Lewis Dunk for instance.

Or Ben White or Adam Webster…

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems pundits talking Scotland up, talking England down. we were lacklustre, not poor but not great either. Scotland played a bit better in midfield for a few spells but didnt really offer threat.

we dont seem to play to our strength, fast, energetic players getting into opposition with movement and speed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here