Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schumaker ski injury

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I was very upset, many years ago, back in the day when he was a CJTC who used to drive other drivers off the track if they were a genuine threat, when he went straight on at Stowe Corner at about 150 and broke both his legs. Very upset, I was, and I know many others were too.......

Get well soon............

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Fine. Not making thoughtless digs at someone who is currently in hospital with a head injury with no real details other than that he is currently stable since head injuries are tricky to deal with, something highlighted by the recent tottenham/Lloris' controvesy, is a wonderful thing, especially if you've had a couple of hours to compose your thoughts.

Really, it doesn't take hindsight to realise making such quips with what was "known" at the time isn't a the done thing.

I take it you have never made inappropriate topical jokes in the pub or sent inappropriate jokes by text then? We can all be wise after the event without needing to get on our high horse. By the looks of things, there were several people who were under the impression that the accident was not as severe as it has subsequently transpired.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I take it you have never made inappropriate topical jokes in the pub or sent inappropriate jokes by text then? We can all be wise after the event without needing to get on our high horse. By the looks of things, there were several people who were under the impression that the accident was not as severe as it has subsequently transpired.

I've rarely shared jokes like that, but when I do they are shared with people I know won't be offended by it (i.e. not on a public forum where anyone could read it), fully aware of the offensiveness of the joke and owning that. I don't, when someone challenges me, start acting like it was an innocent joke that no one could know at the time it was made would turn out to be offensive, and start claiming I'm only being judged by someone who has the benefit of hindsight.

It doesn't take hindsight to realise making a quip about someone who is in hospital suffering from a head injury, however stable his condition is reported to be, is in bad taste. Own it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've rarely shared jokes like that, but when I do they are shared with people I know won't be offended by it (i.e. not on a public forum where anyone could read it), fully aware of the offensiveness of the joke and owning that. I don't, when someone challenges me, start acting like it was an innocent joke that no one could know at the time it was made would turn out to be offensive, and start claiming I'm only being judged by someone who has the benefit of hindsight.

It doesn't take hindsight to realise making a quip about someone who is in hospital suffering from a head injury, however stable his condition is reported to be, is in bad taste. Own it.

FFS. Vegster made a dumb post. He's apologetic and no malice was meant. Get over it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
FFS. Vegster made a dumb post. He's apologetic and no malice was meant. Get over it.

I can't tell who you think is apologetic, Vegster or Joeinbrighton, these are there posts from this thread

I hope the accident was serious enough to wipe that smug grin off his face ?

It could have been more serious except that his chin bore the brunt of the impact.

The reports say he was conscious both at the point when the medics arrived and when he arrived at hospital. That's different to say Natasha Richardson where she was conscious immediately after her fall but then had a splitting headache an hour or 2 afterwards which she didn't get immediate treatment for and then worsened and she lost consciousness and resulted in the internal brain injuries that killed her.

Yes, if the injury is serious enough. I have seen people air-lifted from the slopes numerous times. It's no big deal at a ski-resort and is covered by your insurance.

Not watched the programme 'Helicopter Heroes' then? Where the injuries affect the head or the spine, air ambulances transport people from all walks of life to hospital.

Sounds like his accident caused some internal bleeding, which is the main danger with these type of injuries.

You have not done so bad

Nice edit.

What do you think ?

At the point Vegster made his remark, the medical bulletins on TV suggested that Schumacher's life was not in danger and would make a full recovery. Therefore, while it was irreverent, there did not appear to be any cause for alarm and so it was OK to make a quip. By the same token, I also wouldn't have made the comment about his chin if the medical bulletin at the time was saying he was in a critical condition. Hindsight's wonderful, isn't it?

Read the timeline,my comment was made while the news reports said " not life threatening "

It wasn't my first reaction to it. I wrote the quip several hours after the news broke believing the patient concerned to not have their life in danger. My initial reaction to it was concern because of recalling Natasha Richardson's accident a few years ago, but once I heard the same bulletins that everyone else did where he was said to be conscious and talking, I believed he was going to be OK.

Thanks, If ever I need an irate self righteous lynch mob leader I'll look you up,only if you are squeaky clean of course though ?

Where's the apology?

I'm not actually after an apology. I just think you don't need hindsight to realise such comments are in poor taste, and claiming such is a cop out.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I said in my first post that if I had been aware of the severity of Schumacher's injury, I wouldn't have made the remark. I'm certainly not in the business of mocking people who are ill, as anyone who knows me well will testify to, that is not in my nature at all, added to which I am and have always been an admirer of Michael Schumacher's ability as a competitor.

I'm sorry for jumping the gun in making the quip, but just feel that there is an element of people getting on their high horse over remarks made by myself and Vegster which were nothing more than flippant throwaway gags that wouldn't have been made had the initial news bulletins not suggested as strongly as they did that Schumacher's injuries were non-life threatening. The most important thing is to hope that Michael Schumacher makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I said in my first post that if I had been aware of the severity of Schumacher's injury, I wouldn't have made the remark. I'm certainly not in the business of mocking people who are ill, as anyone who knows me well will testify to, that is not in my nature at all, added to which I am and have always been an admirer of Michael Schumacher's ability as a competitor.

I'm sorry for jumping the gun in making the quip, but just feel that there is an element of people getting on their high horse over remarks made by myself and Vegster which were nothing more than flippant throwaway gags that wouldn't have been made had the initial news bulletins not suggested as strongly as they did that Schumacher's injuries were non-life threatening. The most important thing is to hope that Michael Schumacher makes a full recovery from his injuries.

This looks like an apology to me.

Time, perhaps, to focus on wishing Schumacher a speedy and full recovery?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Latest report is that he is critical. So I guess giving up motor racing can be dangerous.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
News conference http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25547624

A spokesman for the hospital said: "Michael Schumacher was the victim of very serious trauma. He was very agitated when he arrived and we decided he was in a critical situation and he quickly went into a coma.

"The neurosurgical treatment he received brought us quite a lot of information. We had to operate urgently to release some pressure in his head. Unfortunately, he has some legions within his brain."

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
News conference http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25547624

A spokesman for the hospital said: "Michael Schumacher was the victim of very serious trauma. He was very agitated when he arrived and we decided he was in a critical situation and he quickly went into a coma.

"The neurosurgical treatment he received brought us quite a lot of information. We had to operate urgently to release some pressure in his head. Unfortunately, he has some legions within his brain."

That does not sound good :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You don't need to apologise again. I think any sane person realizes you were a bit foolish but little more. I'm not sure why Acker is on this particular moral crusade but I'm now starting to think it's him/her which is starting to be inappropriate by dragging this on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You don't need to apologise again. I think any sane person realizes you were a bit foolish but little more. I'm not sure why Acker is on this particular moral crusade but I'm now starting to think it's him/her which is starting to be inappropriate by dragging this on.

It's not a moral crusade, it's an anti-bad argument crusade, but as I don't appear to be making myself clear, I'll give it another go.

My problem isn't with the bad taste comments, per se. My problem is with the argument that they only suddenly became bad taste when Schumacher went from having a head injury and being in hospital in "a serious condition" to having a head injury and being in hospital "in a critical condition".

They were always bad taste comments, hindsight wasn't (or shouldn't be) necessary to recognise that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here