Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scapegoat of the season

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I reckon poor old BDB has had the worst of the flak this season so far.

That's because "poor old BDB" is playing as a left back when he spent his footballing life as a centre half. So is he a hero for stepping up in our hour of need, or is he just a greedy footballer wanting to be in the first team with all the trappings in the richest league in the world while our recruitment department yet again floundered to address the problem.Therein may lie the animosity towards him as you cant keep blagging it in the top league.

PandA

Feb 8, 2012
Yea yea I get it, I hear it every day. "I've been going to games for 200 years so I'm qualified and deserve to behave like some kind of infant any time things dont go well". All fine and dandy, its a perspective people are allowed to have.

Its not the topic though. Who do you think will get most of this "passionate moaning" (or however you want it whitewashed)?

You really do come across as being arrogant and superior. This post alone is disrespectful and demeaning to the supporters who have kept this club alive for so long. I've read a lot of your posts and many of them are tainted with this sneering attitude, which is a real shame as it appears you have a good knowledge of football. Try and get your point across without being an a***hole and have some respect for fans who have been around for significantly longer than you. Alternatively of course, you could set up your own Graham Potter board and post on there to your hearts content in whatever tone you wanted.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Lets exclude the manager from this, as the manager always gets pointed out when a team doesnt win.

Eight games in and according to plenty, the club is doomed and everyone needs to be sacked and bla bla bla.

But besides the manager and the sporting director, who are we going to blame?

Some likely candidates for the Scapegoat of the Season award are starting to become evident:

Matt Ryan - goalkeepers are frequent scapegoats and Ryan is no exception. Since he had a poor game in June or July, people have been up his ass. Even yesterday, signalling that there is no chance for him to do anything right in the eyes of some people.

Dan Burn - doesnt look like a footballer and seems like a pretty nice, normal guy meaning he is obviously not cool and sexy enough for this PL top squad. Plenty of players made bad crosses yesterday, the one Burn did is the only one mentioned: obvious scapegoat indicator.

Solly March - not much complaints yet but he is always just one mistake from being lynched, so I'm including him.

Adam Webster - one of the challengers to this award last season, before people decided to accept him. Lately there's been a rise in the opinion that he is not good enough for the PL etc.. The thought "he stole Duffy's spot and I demand that there is something wrong with him" makes him a contender this year as well.

Davy Pröpper - might be off in January, but in the event that he actually makes it to the team again I think he could play like ****ing Xavi and people (including me) would hate him for not being Alzate, Bissouma or Molumby.

Neal Maupay - probably wont score 20 goals this season meaning he is utter junk and should be sent back to France.

Aaron Connolly - he is 20 years old and still not scoring dozens of goals so he is obviously garbage and need to be loaned to Preston to make room for a World Class Superstar Striker like Callum Wilson or Darius Vassell.

Who do you think will get the most shit this season? Any of these, or do you think any of the other players could challenge for the award?

1. Webster
2. Ryan
3. Maupay
4. Burn
5. Connolly

March is too ineffectual to stir any emotion

Maybe Lallana or Welbeck because they’re on big wages and have lots of England caps

But the manager will be scapegoated before any of them

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Siily thread.

The team as a whole are not quite doing the business at the moment. As [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] says we're mostly playing nice football but we don't seem to think ourselves capable of a win. Taking the coach out as a reason (because you have a weird, fanboy obsession with him) is particularly daft when many could argue we're defending set pieces badly and are over elaborate in attack.

Sounds like Swansman himself is a contender for the title.
He could be presented it , when he makes his debut at the Amex.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I haven't had many scapegoats or players I hate as I would call them.
I started with Brian Tawse followed by John Ruggiero. Barry Bridges was the Wayne Henderson of his day, two players I felt single handedly took my beloved Albion down a division. The Hawk was a target although Graeme Smith was so abysmal, I didn't have time to get my hate mojo up and running. Dobbie was one of two in the Amex pre-Premier years, but I seem to have blocked out the other. Current candidate is Webster. I'm glad I'm not out the Amex to see him live as apart from being better at moving out of defence than Duffy, I just don't see what he brings to the table. I can't get past poor positioning, lack of aerial power in defence or attack, recklessly dangling a boot at the ball without thinking of consequences and his poor passing. For me, he is really close to joining a small select group of Albion players I have hated. Very, very close. No need for anyone to argue with me, it's just a personal thing. Veltman should play instead of him when Dunky returns.

Veltman has looked very tidy indeed...might even raise Dunks game a notch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's because "poor old BDB" is playing as a left back when he spent his footballing life as a centre half. So is he a hero for stepping up in our hour of need, or is he just a greedy footballer wanting to be in the first team with all the trappings in the richest league in the world while our recruitment department yet again floundered to address the problem.Therein may lie the animosity towards him as you cant keep blagging it in the top league.

So he's a scapegoat for you then.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
So he's a scapegoat for you then.

No. He's a centre half playing totally out of position. I see no difference as if you put Trossard as a centre half and then wonder why we concede so many goals. When you hit a certain level you know where your best position is and if you accept your manager playing you out of position week in,week out, you deserve what you get. Again I don't particularly blame the player as he wants first team football, Any blame, any responsibility rests with the manager. Always.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. He's a centre half playing totally out of position. I see no difference as if you put Trossard as a centre half and then wonder why we concede so many goals. When you hit a certain level you know where your best position is and if you accept your manager playing you out of position week in,week out, you deserve what you get. Again I don't particularly blame the player as he wants first team football, Any blame, any responsibility rests with the manager. Always.

OK, so the manager is your scapegoat - but that option is excluded from this thread; it's about players only. Anyway, IMHO, it's BDB who's come in for the most criticism this season (though there are are close contenders).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I haven't had many scapegoats or players I hate as I would call them.
I started with Brian Tawse followed by John Ruggiero. Barry Bridges was the Wayne Henderson of his day, two players I felt single handedly took my beloved Albion down a division. The Hawk was a target although Graeme Smith was so abysmal, I didn't have time to get my hate mojo up and running. Dobbie was one of two in the Amex pre-Premier years, but I seem to have blocked out the other. Current candidate is Webster. I'm glad I'm not out the Amex to see him live as apart from being better at moving out of defence than Duffy, I just don't see what he brings to the table. I can't get past poor positioning, lack of aerial power in defence or attack, recklessly dangling a boot at the ball without thinking of consequences and his poor passing. For me, he is really close to joining a small select group of Albion players I have hated. Very, very close. No need for anyone to argue with me, it's just a personal thing. Veltman should play instead of him when Dunky returns.

You sound like a nice chap. I must remember not to get on the wrong side of you.:D
Poor little old Brian Tawse, that was a long time ago!
I'm not going to argue with you, I wouldn't dare, but suffice to say that your near hatred of Webster is a tad irrational.
How can you 'hate' any Albion player?
P.S.Looks like Duffy is fast becoming a scapegoat amongst Celtic fans!

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
In praise of Maty - he is excellent with the ball at his feet. Doesn't get enough credit for it. He often gets put on the spot with a backpass and strikers closing in, and nearly always deals with it with it brilliantly. Decision makng - when to kick long also excellent.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is a football forum and a good place to talk about football, our club, how we are doing and how our players & manager are doing. This necessitates criticism, praise and opinion and it will come in varying levels. Not all negative criticism is scapegoating, its comment about how things need to improve in the opinion of the subscriber. Calling individuals bedwetters or scapegoaters is really not constructive to the debate as much as unsupported opinions.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Siily thread.

The team as a whole are not quite doing the business at the moment. As [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] says we're mostly playing nice football but we don't seem to think ourselves capable of a win. Taking the coach out as a reason (because you have a weird, fanboy obsession with him) is particularly daft when many could argue we're defending set pieces badly and are over elaborate in attack.

Of course you dont think they are capable to win, but the team do. Very obvious. Blaming the lack of "winning mentality" is very easy because no one can argue against it. Why? Because the concept is abstract. If you ask a hundred people, "what is 'winning mentality'", you'll get a hundred different answers.

Taking the coach out of the equation is not because I feel it couldnt be the answer, but because it would be the obvious answer. If you win 1 in 8, the manager will always get a lot of criticism. No exceptions: any time United had a bad run, Sir Alex was too old and not up to date etc.

What I'm asking in this thread is which player you think will get the most blame, because that is another thing that always happens. Take the worst game last season (FA Cup against Wednesday, in my opinion). Everyone was shit. Everyone, including Potter. No doubt. Yet a couple of players got a lot more shit than others, not because they were worse than the other suckers, but because of pre-made opinions. What I'm looking for is: who will be the Dale Stephens of 2020/21?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course you dont think they are capable to win, but the team do. Very obvious. Blaming the lack of "winning mentality" is very easy because no one can argue against it. Why? Because the concept is abstract. If you ask a hundred people, "what is 'winning mentality'", you'll get a hundred different answers.

Taking the coach out of the equation is not because I feel it couldnt be the answer, but because it would be the obvious answer. If you win 1 in 8, the manager will always get a lot of criticism. No exceptions: any time United had a bad run, Sir Alex was too old and not up to date etc.

What I'm asking in this thread is which player you think will get the most blame, because that is another thing that always happens. Take the worst game last season (FA Cup against Wednesday, in my opinion). Everyone was shit. Everyone, including Potter. No doubt. Yet a couple of players got a lot more shit than others, not because they were worse than the other suckers, but because of pre-made opinions. What I'm looking for is: who will be the Dale Stephens of 2020/21?

I was at the Wednesday game, behind the North goal. We walked home blaming EVERYONE.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
EPL clubs are becoming ever-increasingly the playthings of oil sheikhs and oligarches and owners of global corporations. No shame whatsoever in not being able to compete. Would expect TB to bow down to a billionaire at some point fairly soon. Else we'll just have to settle for being a well-run family club one level down. Again, no shame in that whatsover. But when all's said and done, the buck stops with the owner

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
EPL clubs are becoming ever-increasingly the playthings of oil sheikhs and oligarches and owners of global corporations. No shame whatsoever in not being able to compete. Would expect TB to bow down to a billionaire at some point fairly soon. Else we'll just have to settle for being a well-run family club one level down. Again, no shame in that whatsover. But when all's said and done, the buck stops with the owner
We are one or to players away from competing nothing has changed since the summer window. You would have to ask the club why we didn’t make the signings required not sure it would of broke the bank considering the players that left.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You sound like a nice chap. I must remember not to get on the wrong side of you.:D
Poor little old Brian Tawse, that was a long time ago!
I'm not going to argue with you, I wouldn't dare, but suffice to say that your near hatred of Webster is a tad irrational.
How can you 'hate' any Albion player?
P.S.Looks like Duffy is fast becoming a scapegoat amongst Celtic fans!

I am a really nice chap. Obviously hate is too strong a word for footballers I've never met, and there really are very few of them. But I'm not sure what other word to use. I might just go with your suggestion of a tad irrational. Funny thing is that Ashley Barnes and Dale Stephens are amongst my favourites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here