[Albion] Scapegoat of the season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we go down this season or scrape through we will have to try and see this ‘plan’

I’m in for the long haul though as usual....... I hope

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not gonna be Propper. He's vanished.
I enjoyed yesterdays latest attempt- Dan Ashworth.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
What a pathetic thread - 8 games in playing great football, defeats by teams which are ‘top7’ some great signings, youth coming through. A bit of luck we’d have won against palace and Burnley, so only West Brom 2nd half has been poor. Great young manager, one of the best director of football, ceo who engages with club. If you don’t support the club through a really difficult financial time we are having at present. There should be no scapegoats whatsoever

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What a pathetic thread - 8 games in playing great football, defeats by teams which are ‘top7’ some great signings, youth coming through. A bit of luck we’d have won against palace and Burnley, so only West Brom 2nd half has been poor. Great young manager, one of the best director of football, ceo who engages with club. If you don’t support the club through a really difficult financial time we are having at present. There should be no scapegoats whatsoever

I dont disagree with you, but there will be scapegoats.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I haven't had many scapegoats or players I hate as I would call them.
I started with Brian Tawse followed by John Ruggiero. Barry Bridges was the Wayne Henderson of his day, two players I felt single handedly took my beloved Albion down a division. The Hawk was a target although Graeme Smith was so abysmal, I didn't have time to get my hate mojo up and running. Dobbie was one of two in the Amex pre-Premier years, but I seem to have blocked out the other. Current candidate is Webster. I'm glad I'm not out the Amex to see him live as apart from being better at moving out of defence than Duffy, I just don't see what he brings to the table. I can't get past poor positioning, lack of aerial power in defence or attack, recklessly dangling a boot at the ball without thinking of consequences and his poor passing. For me, he is really close to joining a small select group of Albion players I have hated. Very, very close. No need for anyone to argue with me, it's just a personal thing. Veltman should play instead of him when Dunky returns.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Time to change matty ryan - remember the last time he made a save like nick Pope did against welbeck?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
... no offence but you're not even a true Albion fan. When lifelong fans get passionate they tend to get a bit moany, that's how it often is.

Not sure if I'm alone but the concept of a person supporting the manager and not the club doesn't sit quite right with me.
Many of us on here have supported the Albion under a dozen or more managers - they're like players, some good, some bad, but they come and go, and in the main, we support this club regardless of who the current playing staff and manager happen to be.

What will you do when GP eventually stops being a football club manager, give up your interest in football? Sure many of us follow ex-BHA manager's careers from a distance - e.g. most of us were pleased to see CH land at Forest, etc. But I can't see myself switching allegiance to Forest and turning my back on the Albion - all rather strange if you ask me.

So you will forgive us if we give you short-shrift on here - you're what we call a JCL and when Potter moves on, as he surely will one day, we will have to invent a new TLA just for you - maybe JGN [Jonny Gone Now]? Highly irregular in the world of football fandom ....

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Lets exclude the manager from this, as the manager always gets pointed out when a team doesnt win.

Eight games in and according to plenty, the club is doomed and everyone needs to be sacked and bla bla bla.

But besides the manager and the sporting director, who are we going to blame?

Some likely candidates for the Scapegoat of the Season award are starting to become evident:

Matt Ryan - goalkeepers are frequent scapegoats and Ryan is no exception. Since he had a poor game in June or July, people have been up his ass. Even yesterday, signalling that there is no chance for him to do anything right in the eyes of some people.

Dan Burn - doesnt look like a footballer and seems like a pretty nice, normal guy meaning he is obviously not cool and sexy enough for this PL top squad. Plenty of players made bad crosses yesterday, the one Burn did is the only one mentioned: obvious scapegoat indicator.

Solly March - not much complaints yet but he is always just one mistake from being lynched, so I'm including him.

Adam Webster - one of the challengers to this award last season, before people decided to accept him. Lately there's been a rise in the opinion that he is not good enough for the PL etc.. The thought "he stole Duffy's spot and I demand that there is something wrong with him" makes him a contender this year as well.

Davy Pröpper - might be off in January, but in the event that he actually makes it to the team again I think he could play like ****ing Xavi and people (including me) would hate him for not being Alzate, Bissouma or Molumby.

Why are you on here shit-stirring?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure if I'm alone but the concept of a person supporting the manager and not the club doesn't sit quite right with me.
Many of us on here have supported the Albion under a dozen or more managers - they're like players, some good, some bad, but they come and go, and in the main, we support this club regardless of who the current playing staff and manager happen to be.

What will you do when GP eventually stops being a football club manager, give up your interest in football? Sure many of us follow ex-BHA manager's careers from a distance - e.g. most of us were pleased to see CH land at Forest, etc. But I can't see myself switching allegiance to Forest and turning my back on the Albion - all rather strange if you ask me.

I agree completely which is why I hope to go to Brighton ASAP, to turn my quite passionate interest into something deeper.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I swear somewhere in Swansmans head Potter wins one draws one and wonders why we have a moan, Interestingly a non Brighton fan said to me today your side play good good football but don’t have a winning mentality I thought that sums us up to be fair. I wonder who’s job it is to install a winning mentality in the squad ???

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If you can’t even use the term properly, why bother at all?

It’s ESCAPE GOATS.

Bloody forriner!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Welbeck if he doesn’t produce. I am already hearing mutterings about him after just a game and a few mins. Such is NSC :shrug:

For my part there are two players I think need replacing but I will be very happy if they prove me wrong, they haven’t so far!

I have moaned about March for a few years now and as a winger I think he’s not up to the standard required in this division on what I’ve seen over the last few years, however his steady morphing into a wing back has come along well. He has been very consistent this season, now find someone to teach him how to put in a cross and he’ll be fine. If he could get some confidence building he may also turn into a decent winger as he certainly has all the ball skills.

Dan Burn does nothing wrong but he is woeful in the air and far too predictable in his build up play. He is not a natural LWB in his defence but he certainly does not let us down.

Does the above count as scapegoating?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you can’t even use the term properly, why bother at all?

It’s ESCAPE GOATS.

Bloody forriner!

Are you sure?

I thought it came from the bible when you have 2 goats, one is for the sacrifice, one is the ‘scapegoat’. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Welbeck if he doesn’t produce. I am already hearing mutterings about him after just a game and a few mins. Such is NSC :shrug:

For my part there are two players I think need replacing but I will be very happy if the prove me wrong, they haven’t so far!

I have moaned about March for a few years now and as a winger I think he’s not up to the standard required in this division on what I’ve seen over the last few years, however his steady morphing into a wing back has come along well. He has been very consistent this season, now find someone to teach him how to put in a cross and he’ll be fine. If he could get some confidence building he may also turn into a decent winger as he certainly has all the ball skills.

Welbeck is perfect. Right now build him up as the saviour, the solution to all our woes. If he doesn’t score at least 10 by pancake day - we go all in on him!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Siily thread.

The team as a whole are not quite doing the business at the moment. As [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] says we're mostly playing nice football but we don't seem to think ourselves capable of a win. Taking the coach out as a reason (because you have a weird, fanboy obsession with him) is particularly daft when many could argue we're defending set pieces badly and are over elaborate in attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports