Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scapegoat of the season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Solly March has had loads of NSC criticism this season, from a large band of persistent haters. Even when he’s clearly one of our better performers.

This - not always a consistent crosser of the ball, but by no means the weakest player in this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dunk had a few detractors eg because he’d unnecessarily get banned when we needed him most, losing his head in games.

Solly March, you definitely get snobbery from haters against some local players, whilst the overseas player might get a better ride.

Widening this, there was classic NSC hate by some against:
Muzza - in both spells.
Barnes - in his Withdean days when as a 20 year old who cost next to nothing, he was banging in vital goals. Did you spot the standing joke where the main hater disappeared due to the dent to his ego, instantly rejoining NSC under another name and not admitting it.
David Lopez - an effective Spanish midfielder in our quality 2012/13 and 2013/14 teams. Some fans despised him for no good reason.

Re Lopez good player, but went missing in key games IMO.

Generally we remember him for that goal......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Welbeck if he doesn’t produce. I am already hearing mutterings about him after just a game and a few mins. Such is NSC :shrug:

For my part there are two players I think need replacing but I will be very happy if they prove me wrong, they haven’t so far!

I have moaned about March for a few years now and as a winger I think he’s not up to the standard required in this division on what I’ve seen over the last few years, however his steady morphing into a wing back has come along well. He has been very consistent this season, now find someone to teach him how to put in a cross and he’ll be fine. If he could get some confidence building he may also turn into a decent winger as he certainly has all the ball skills.

Dan Burn does nothing wrong but he is woeful in the air and far too predictable in his build up play. He is not a natural LWB in his defence but he certainly does not let us down.

Does the above count as scapegoating?

Ryan?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryan?

I’m biting my tongue for the moment, he is going through the same as Stockdale did for his first 10 games or so where most shots nestled in the net. Done nothing wrong as such but hasn’t made a worldy or even a great save for a long time that I can remember.

Does not look very confident at the moment though

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m biting my tongue for the moment, he is going through the same as Stockdale did for his first 10 games or so where most shots nestled in the net. Done nothing wrong as such but hasn’t made a worldy or even a great save for a long time that I can remember.

Does not look very confident at the moment though

I’ll go a bit further. Has to be a priority to be replaced once other areas resolved. Sanchez longer term would be ideal.

He’s been okay, but nothing more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll go a bit further. Has to be a priority to be replaced once other areas resolved. Sanchez longer term would be ideal.

He’s been okay, but nothing more.

Am I arguing? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its weird. Inside this weird superiority complex where the team is supposed to beat ANY opposition (lets not pretend the moaning started with WBA) there is also some kind of schizophrenic inferiority complex that the players coming through the academy simply cant be as good as "the real footballers".

Question: did Dunk have doubters for a long time?

I seem to recall he got pelters when Liverpool thumped us in the cup some years ago. Eighteen year old scores 2 OGs: 'Get RID!!!' :lolol:

By the way you have as much right to post a withering thread as anyone else on here. If people don't like it they can put you on ignore.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I seem to recall he got pelters when Liverpool thumped us in the cup some years ago. Eighteen year old scores 2 OGs: 'Get RID!!!' :lolol:

By the way you have as much right to post a withering thread as anyone else on here. If people don't like it they can put you on ignore.

Or just not open the thread [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a football forum and a good place to talk about football, our club, how we are doing and how our players & manager are doing. This necessitates criticism, praise and opinion and it will come in varying levels. Not all negative criticism is scapegoating, its comment about how things need to improve in the opinion of the subscriber. Calling individuals bedwetters or scapegoaters is really not constructive to the debate as much as unsupported opinions.

Indeed.

Except, of course, when it is scapegoating. For me that is a form of vicarious bullying.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Indeed.

Except, of course, when it is scapegoating. For me that is a form of vicarious bullying.

Agree . Poor English in my last sentence. If people have an opinion then give some evidence which backs up the opinion. If people can't support their argument then it's just biased opinion which leads on to victimisation. It's funny though I thought the main factor in forming an opinion was based on where you are seated and the view you get. We all see the same thing now and yet people still express vastly different opinions.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am a really nice chap. Obviously hate is too strong a word for footballers I've never met, and there really are very few of them. But I'm not sure what other word to use. I might just go with your suggestion of a tad irrational. Funny thing is that Ashley Barnes and Dale Stephens are amongst my favourites.

Ha-ha Steve, I am sure you are a nice fellow.
One of my old favourite Albion players from years ago was Alan Gilliver. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a real trier and he scored some unlikely goals for us. No social media in those days, but I dare say he might have got some stick if there had been.........along the lines of 'carthorse' centre- forward or some such insult!
Adam Webster played in the same local youngsters team as my son many moons ago, so I do have an interest in his career and I am pleased he has done so well, despite what you think of him.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

By the same token other posters are entitled to express their displeasure and dudgeon at the OP.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By the same token other posters are entitled to express their displeasure and dudgeon at the OP.

Fair enough.

I think that 'not a real supporter' isn't any particular argument at the best of times, though. Here, playing the man, not the ball (quite a good ball, perhaps, too).

Anyway, it isn't as if I don't play the man from time to time. Sliding tackle, studs up, from behind. Ahem. :rolleyes: :lolol: :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here