[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
_121117233_gettyimages-1347066893.jpg

Premier League clubs have voted to temporarily block teams agreeing lucrative sponsorship deals linked to a club's owners after the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover of Newcastle.

Horse and stable come to mind but lets see where this goes!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is awful and shouldn't happen but i can't get rid of the voice in my head that says, well, but we (the UK) sell billions of pounds worth of arms to these same Saudis, so how can I get all uppity about it this.....

Indeed, but you're comparing apples with dates. You don't see people running around celebrating wearing BAE Systems, Raytheon or Lockheed Martin scarfs. Well not yet anyway, but when it comes to Toon supporters now, who knows - I can hear them now.

"And its BAE Systems...BAE Systems UK, make by FAR the greatest clusterbombs the world has ever seen"
"Can you hear the Yemen sing ? Nooo. Nooo."

Anyway, the difference is, we all choose to associate with and actively support a football club, wear the colours, cheer the team etc. Its a conscious decision thats our decision to make. But none of us have anything to do with the businesses our government awards multi-billion pound arms deals to. Us muggles have no investment in that whatsoever. So for me, the two things are entirely separate. Its a specious argument some of the Newcastle fans throw around in amongst all their 'whataboutery', but it simply holds no water.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Indeed, but you're comparing apples with dates. You don't see people running around celebrating wearing BAE Systems, Raytheon or Lockheed Martin scarfs. Well not yet anyway, but when it comes to Toon supporters now, who knows - I can hear them now.

"And its BAE Systems...BAE Systems UK, make by FAR the greatest clusterbombs the world has ever seen"

Anyway, the difference is, we all choose to associate with and actively support a football club, wear the colours, cheer the team etc. Its a conscious decision thats our decision to make. But none of us have anything to do with the businesses our government awards multi-billion pound arms deals to. Us muggles have no investment in that whatsoever. So for me, the two things are entirely separate. Its a specious argument some of the Newcastle fans throw around in amongst all their 'whataboutery', but it simply holds no water.

Very well put.

The other argiment of course is even simpler: 'Two wrongs don't make a right'

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I suggested before, Yemen flags to show solidarity

Or

Jamal Khashoggi was 59 when murdered. Applause in the 59th minute? Could catch on

Whatever, obviously the club won't back anything so it would have to be fan led

Either or both would suit. I can just see now Barber instructing the stewards to search for Yemeni flags though can't you? Another item for his banned list.

Would be great to think that the club would show solidarity with the fans over a protest but we know that won't ever happen. As usual, it will be down to the fans to show they have a conscience.

Plenty of Yemeni flags available online (although I fear they will have to go down the pants to get them in).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

All valid, indeed. But there is still a level of hyocrisy (rather than whataboutery) in my head about it, maybe not yours fair enough.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Either or both would suit. I can just see now Barber instructing the stewards to search for Yemeni flags though can't you? Another item for his banned list.

Would be great to think that the club would show solidarity with the fans over a protest but we know that won't ever happen. As usual, it will be down to the fans to show they have a conscience.

Plenty of Yemeni flags available online (although I fear they will have to go down the pants to get them in).

Lot's of flags get taken into football stadiums without problems I assume?

I agree it's unlikely the club would actively support any protest (although would be nice if they did). However, if they took proactive action to stop a peaceful protest that would be very bad PR for them. And potentially would become a bigger story than any protest.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
All valid, indeed. But there is still a level of hyocrisy (rather than whataboutery) in my head about it, maybe not yours fair enough.

1. We all have to live with a bit of hypocrisy in our lives. Or we'd hardly ever do anything of value.

2. Not sure exactly where the hypocricy lies here though? Unless you've been holidaying in Saudi Arabia recently, or deliberately buying shares in arms companies with Saudi contracts?

3. I can't spell hypocrasy

4. Arguing via numbered bullet points is dickish. Apologies!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ahhhh nice.

Bad thing = Barber's doing.

You're probably right, I doubt Paul would even mention the issue of Yemeni flags to St Tony, while sat next to each other in St Tony's stadium, looking at said Yemeni flags.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
New owners unhappy with the fans already...

Newcastle United’s new owners were not offended by the fans who celebrated the purchase of their club by wearing homemade Arabic head coverings and robes. They would, however, like them to stop.

In a statement headed “guidance on matchday attire” the club on Wednesday said it was “kindly asking supporters to refrain from wearing traditional Arabic clothing or Middle East-inspired head coverings at matches if they would not ordinarily wear such attire”.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...id-culturally-inappropriate-clothing-at-games

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Newcastle United’s new owners were not offended by the fans who celebrated the purchase of their club by wearing homemade Arabic head coverings and robes. They would, however, like them to stop.

In a statement headed “guidance on matchday attire” the club on Wednesday said it was “kindly asking supporters to refrain from wearing traditional Arabic clothing or Middle East-inspired head coverings at matches if they would not ordinarily wear such attire”.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...id-culturally-inappropriate-clothing-at-games

Great stuff.

It seems the sportswashing is backfiring and highlighting the negatives in the regime. Long may it continue.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Cultural appropriation from football fans , whatever next . Should be an offense worthy of stoning shirley

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cultural appropriation from football fans , whatever next . Should be an offense worthy of stoning shirley

It is interesting though. From the point of view that these owners, for the first time are powerless to influence a body of people. They can't use the normal tactics which they use in their homeland. They have to try other methods such as politeness and gaining respect. Must be an eye opener to them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports