Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia doesn't speak Spanish

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
One of which was signed before Hyypia. So aside from those two the rest from British and Irish clubs. A much lower overseas proportion than in previous windows. We are doing it less and other clubs are doing it more. Going backwards (for the sake of English?) it seems.

A British club in signing British players shock.. ...

In my opinion, the squad mix and balance between:-

Experienced British players - (Hughes,Greer,Crofts,CMS,Stockdale)
Young exciting talent - (Ince,JFC, Texeira, Bennett, Gardener Lenihan?tba?)
Quality foreign imports at good prices - (Corlunga,Holla)

Is just about as positive as i've seen in the recent years.

Remains to seen of course, how we shall fair.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
View attachment 57940

Babel_Fish_diagram.jpg

One of which was signed before Hyypia. So aside from those two the rest from British and Irish clubs. A much lower overseas proportion than in previous windows. We are doing it less and other clubs are doing it more. Going backwards (for the sake of English?) it seems.

You are trying to infer a massive amount from a tiny amount of data. I suggest you look at the actual number of players we've signed this year from clubs outside the UK, and compare it to the number in previous windows. I don't think it would be very different at all. Remember a number of those 'foreign' players were signed from British clubs (Orlandi, PIG).

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So is it fair to say the reasons for appointing Sami were because of his fluency in English despite his lack of aptitude in other languages that could suit our recruitment policy? (even if at the moment, yes, we have very few)

The consistency in appointment point was a generic point including style of play as much of anything else. Seems from what people have said, that we have disguarded some of our activities (or limited them in overseas player recruitment) to help Sami fit in. I would rather have appointed a manager who was more befitting the club an not signed a load of young premier league rejects on loan or free. Bennett, Gardener, Hughes etc. Calderon, Ulloa, Lopez, inspired scouting, I think whilst Sami is here that will be limited greatly based on this window alone.

How you can suggest that we have had a radical change in transfer policy due to the language of the manager. This is the MOST ridiculous thing i have seen on here for some time. And that is saying something (in any language) looking at the drivel recently.

How many languages did Gus speak? Two?

How many does Sammi speak? Three...as i am guessing he didn't speak Finnish in Germany. And based on your argument you can onlt recruit players that speak the same language of the manager i think we'd be ok.

Lastly, how much 'fitting in' does someone need after spending a decade at Liverpool?

What a load of croak.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So is it fair to say the reasons for appointing Sami were because of his fluency in English despite his lack of aptitude in other languages that could suit our recruitment policy? (even if at the moment, yes, we have very few)

The consistency in appointment point was a generic point including style of play as much of anything else. Seems from what people have said, that we have disguarded some of our activities (or limited them in overseas player recruitment) to help Sami fit in. I would rather have appointed a manager who was more befitting the club an not signed a load of young premier league rejects on loan or free. Bennett, Gardener, Hughes etc. Calderon, Ulloa, Lopez, inspired scouting, I think whilst Sami is here that will be limited greatly based on this window alone.

Right so we get to the real reason you started this thread, you don't like Sami or "his" transfers, well enjoy the season then.

What the next thread

Sami cannot read Lua Lua's tweets

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How you can suggest that we have had a radical change in transfer policy due to the language of the manager. This is the MOST ridiculous thing i have seen on here for some time. And that is saying something (in any language) looking at the drivel recently.

How many languages did Gus speak? Two?

How many does Sammi speak? Three...as i am guessing he didn't speak Finnish in Germany. And based on your argument you can onlt recruit players that speak the same language of the manager i think we'd be ok.

Lastly, how much 'fitting in' does someone need after spending a decade at Liverpool?

What a load of croak.

Gus spoke four languages.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
what a load of rubbish ...if Sami was Spanish and didn't speak a word of English we might have an issue ... Colunga apparently already understands ball, goal, shoot and score
and he might well know pass, foul and penalty too ... that is seven words! I am sure Sami will cope!

he probably knows what "extra time" and "next round" are too!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They should bloody learn to speak English, if i were plying my trade in Spain I would learn to speak Spanish.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I thought the criticism of Sami not clapping or standing up was ridiculous enough but not speaking Spanish.......give me strength

Keep scraping that barrel.......

C-Petteri

Aug 27, 2014
How many does Sammi speak? Three...

Sorry to lift this up, but my registration wasn´t accepted when this was a hot topic. Anyway, I think that Sami can speak five languages. Swedish is the second official language of Finland and everyone reads that at school, so I would guess that he can speak speak some swedish also. He played about four years in Holland before moving to England, so I would guess he can speak dutch also. Besides those, finnish, english and german of course, so that makes it five langueges. Unfortunately Spanish is not included, so that makes him a shit manager, I guess.... But good enough for Brighton anyway... :D

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You do seem to have quite an obsession with this complete and utter non-issue.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry to lift this up, but my registration wasn´t accepted when this was a hot topic. Anyway, I think that Sami can speak five languages. Swedish is the second official language of Finland and everyone reads that at school, so I would guess that he can speak speak some swedish also. He played about four years in Holland before moving to England, so I would guess he can speak dutch also. Besides those, finnish, english and german of course, so that makes it five langueges. Unfortunately Spanish is not included, so that makes him a shit manager, I guess.... But good enough for Brighton anyway... :D

Think I read his German isn't that good which was a bone of contention with the Leverkusen powers-that-be

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
That's another nail in the Coffin for me!

The clubs recruitment policy has definitely changed to encourage more British players. Not sure this will give us the best chance of promotion... And all because of Sami's lack of linguistic ability. At least he's friends with Steven Gerrard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here