Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia doesn't speak Spanish

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Oscar is Spanish, so not really. The point was more that he isn't communicating directly with the players in detail about tactics, positioning, strengths, weaknesses etc.

I could see this being a hindrance as the season goes on... but no one else seems to so maybe I'm just scraping the barrel.

All I will say is I could see why we chose Oscar over other managers, it seemed consistent with the decision making process at the time. Appointing Hyypia seems slightly inconsistent. A slightly lazier choice maybe... Not that it won't work, just think the club will have to adapt to him a lot more than it did with Oscar who slotted in quite easily.

We've got 3 Spanish speaking players now after losing Leo, Orlandi, Lopez and Rodriguez. Of those 3 one appears fluent with one not as much and one not at all. Also Nathan Jones speaks fluent Spanish so I don't see how Corlunga won't get the specific info you mention :shrug:

I can't see Sami getting the job if this was a problem?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oscar is Spanish, so not really. The point was more that he isn't communicating directly with the players in detail about tactics, positioning, strengths, weaknesses etc.

I could see this being a hindrance as the season goes on... but no one else seems to so maybe I'm just scraping the barrel.

All I will say is I could see why we chose Oscar over other managers, it seemed consistent with the decision making process at the time. Appointing Hyypia seems slightly inconsistent. A slightly lazier choice maybe... Not that it won't work, just think the club will have to adapt to him a lot more than it did with Oscar who slotted in quite easily.

I don't think we brought Oscar in because he spoke Spanish. We brought him in because he was a young, highly-rated manager who favoured the same kind of possession-based game that Poyet installed at the club.

Similarly, Hyypia has been brought in because he is a young, talented manager who uses a similar setup albeit more attacking and at a higher tempo

What a strange assertion in light of Blooms comments that Oscar was not an effective communicator to others in the club.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Considering the large amount of Spanish speakers in the squad and at the club in general does anyone else think this should have been a key requirement to finding a manager?

I think this and Jones as assistant (as a Spanish speaker) helped Oscar last season.

If Sami (as he admitted last night) can't communicate with some of the players directly, how can he be expected to get his message across successfully?

Given that we had more English speakers than Spanish speakers at the club last season, recruiting a Spanish (only) speaking manager would have been a very strange move if languages at the club were in anyway a barrier.

I would suspect that Garcia was recruited "despite" him being a Spanish speaker than than "because"!!

Likewise, Sami speaks excellent English as have all our players after a short period of time (I can't think of any that didn't learn) so why on earth would an English club, in England, with mostly English staff, chose a lingua franca other than English?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Does Holla speak good English, he probably does he is Dutch, they all speak great English.

Maybe the Striker we after is from abroad too, that would make a total of about 3 players who don't understand English.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So we have one player in a squad of 25 that does not speak English, but a manager that DOES speak English and can converse with the other 24. A number 2 and two players that can speak Spanish. I suggest that Sami learns Argentinian, Chinese, French, Swiss, Nigerian etc just in case.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
So is it fair to say the reasons for appointing Sami were because of his fluency in English despite his lack of aptitude in other languages that could suit our recruitment policy? (even if at the moment, yes, we have very few)

The consistency in appointment point was a generic point including style of play as much of anything else. Seems from what people have said, that we have disguarded some of our activities (or limited them in overseas player recruitment) to help Sami fit in. I would rather have appointed a manager who was more befitting the club an not signed a load of young premier league rejects on loan or free. Bennett, Gardener, Hughes etc. Calderon, Ulloa, Lopez, inspired scouting, I think whilst Sami is here that will be limited greatly based on this window alone.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
More importantly does he speak Scottish having a manager and captain that can't communicate could be a disaster :lolol:

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
So is it fair to say the reasons for appointing Sami were because of his fluency in English despite his lack of aptitude in other languages that could suit our recruitment policy? (even if at the moment, yes, we have very few)

...our recruitment policy being that we try to find quality players at a low price?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Considering the large amount of Spanish speakers in the squad and at the club in general does anyone else think this should have been a key requirement to finding a manager?

I think this and Jones as assistant (as a Spanish speaker) helped Oscar last season.

If Sami (as he admitted last night) can't communicate with some of the players directly, how can he be expected to get his message across successfully?

On that basis, Sir Alex Ferguson must have had a big problem with communicating with his foreign players, too ... how on earth did he win so many trophies?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Which is easier to do outside England...

...and this transfer window, of the players coming in from abroad, we've signed Toko from the Swiss League, Holla from the Eredivisie and Colunga from La Liga.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
One of which was signed before Hyypia. So aside from those two the rest from British and Irish clubs. A much lower overseas proportion than in previous windows. We are doing it less and other clubs are doing it more. Going backwards (for the sake of English?) it seems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here