Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Same Sh*t, Different Day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I respect your opinion but are you really sure we aren't going to get relegated. As I am pretty 50/50 at best atm... Need to start picking up some wins sharpish given our latter fixtures.,,

No, I can't be sure, but we are improving with experience, and I have a good feeling. We are holding our own.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The usual suspects will hate the post above but not signing a striker will be the reason we go down, if we do.
if. If, IF ffs! It's 'If', not 'will', as some seem so desperate to say.

Therefore unless we get one before the end of the window CH has been let down. Only a fool can think our strike force is anywhere near Premier League quality, but so many are happy to swallow the excuses given without question.
Yes, we didn't get the striker we wanted in the summer. Only a fool thinks we didn't try to replace, or at least augment, our strike force in the summer. But.......we've done bloody well for over half a season in spite of that. We all want a striker in during January (prefersbly early in January) - but even if we don't, we've done well for over half a season. We can do that again - it'll be hard, yes, but can be done. I just don't go along with all the hysteria of if we don't sign anybody we're absolutely doomed. I'd rather sign nobody than the wrong somebody!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Surprised at the amount of negativity on here. Ok, it was immensely frustrating not to win today, but Bournemouth have been getting into their stride recently, and are a pretty decent side - certainly won't go down. We more than matched them, and played some lovely stuff at times. Great to see Schelletto and Izquierdo turn in VERY decent performances. We have been gradually improving match-by-match, and just a couple of additions to the squad will turn us into a comfortable mid-table side, I think. Much as I like Stephens, if we had a really decent creative midfielder - plus (of course) the quick striker we all crave - we'd be there. In Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Propper and Gross we have genuine Premier League quality - and I'm pretty sure Schelletto and Izquierdo will make it, given a few more games. Knocky is decent in spells (his goal today was class), and Suttner is a better left back than many in this division.

Still gutted we didn't win, but I think there are definitely;y three worse teams in this division.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are certainly many differing opinions so here's mine.

Transfer Policy.
We have pretty much had the same policy since Bloom has been at the helm in that we keep our cards close to our chest and we never panic buy at inflated prices. We lost one to medical and one to his club changing their mind at the last minute. Hughton can't complain (and I'm sure he isn't) about the board letting him down.

Tactics
I would say that Hughton has pretty much got tactics spot at a nearly every match, at the start. However, he refuses to use subs to any tactical effect, either because he uses them very late or just on a like for like basis. We are, in effect, a one trick pony. Decisions on tactical changes and timing of subs is not down to Bloom or Barber, it rests at the feet of Hughton.

Predictability
Our kick offs have been the same since day one. Any team playing against us probably knows that seconds after kick off, they will have possession. Started with the ball being played back to Dunk to attempt a long ball to the left and now it is Stephens with the same outcome. Throw ins. Always have to be taken by the full back. Slows down the game and gives the defending team ample opportunity to regroup. Corners. Why oh why do we get everyone in the box. It becomes very crowded and also gives us no outlet. Plant one of the wingers on the half way line and you'll take two defenders out of our area. Maybe the fact Izquierdo failed on his one on one was that he was so knackered from running with the ball so far!! Also, defend the posts. As good as he is, and I'm glad we have him, it's no secret Ryan isn't the tallest so help him out at the corners. We've effectively lost 4 pts from the Everton and Stoke games due to poor defending at corners, in particular Bruno's insistence of 'wrestling' the player rather than attacking the ball. When he came on today, at the first corner he defended he was tugging on the players shirt!!

Players.
Izquierdo got more of the ball today than he probably has all season and he flourished on it. Schellotto looked like he is settling in and showed some flair that I'm sure will make him a favourite. Suttner is my preferred left back but his crossing today was atrocious. Gross runs and runs but some of his decision making was very poor. In the first half he could have slipped the ball through to Murray for a shot at goal from the centre of the penalty area but instead tried to pass through the legs of defenders to Izquierdo who was far wider! Duffy and Dunk should have dominated corners better today but we panicked every time they had one. Propper and Stephens were outnumbered but nothing was really done to help them!

Relegation.
Our failure to beat those teams around us at home may well come back to haunt us. We might be 12th but we are only 5pts from the dreaded zone. The oft repeated phrase that we only need 5 more wins fails to acknowledge that we have only won 5 already. Arguably ever team below us bar Swansea have better squads and some of them are likely to put a run together. There's a danger we won't get a point in March and maybe only 1 in April and forget about May!

Of course, purchases in the transfer window may well change all that. We can but hope!

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
Izzy looked as exciting but without the finishing, composure or experience inside the 18 of Salah.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
This thread's a joke. People moaning about lack of creativity in a great draw at St James' Park (something we failed to achieve last season!). Hughton then puts out a team that creates a hatful of chances yesterday, and somehow that's not good enough for people on here! Arrogance to look at our league position and think we should be doing better.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hughtons negative tactics will send us down.

You know what. If Hughton’s tactics send us down I don’t mind. It’s been a great 3 years and I’m grateful for the success we’ve had getting here. It’s been a great ride.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But how much of that defending problem is a result of a lack of reliable outlet? If opponents don't have to worry about our attack, they can push up higher, putting our defence under more pressure, etc?

I don't disagree with that , playing two up front (i.e. number 10 released from defensive duties) would certainly help. Still don't understand not having a player stay up at corners e.g. Izquierdo.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This thread's a joke. People moaning about lack of creativity in a great draw at St James' Park (something we failed to achieve last season!). Hughton then puts out a team that creates a hatful of chances yesterday, and somehow that's not good enough for people on here! Arrogance to look at our league position and think we should be doing better.

i don't think it's arrogance, people are worried about relegation having fought so hard to get here it would be nice to stay a while.

What this year has proven so far is we are not a poor team , we are as good as 10 or 11 others and that a few more tweaks will ensure safety. Yesterday Bournemouth were good especially after they made the correct subs , we did not use substitutes effectively we had some very tired players out there and we have had similar situations this year.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We didn’t have enough irons in fire? We wouldn’t pay the going rate for a striker who would have signed. I can only guess. But by the same token is there any set of circumstances where the club would have held their hands up and admitted they failed due to their own recruitment policy? Not a chance. Spin is Mr Barber’s forte if you hadn’t noticed and he is the mouthpiece when things go wrong/need explaining, and he is very good at it.

Really can't argue with that.

IIRC Barber had a shopping list of excuses why we didn't sign a striker in the summer but whatever you perm from that list we still failed. I don't think we can afford to fail again in this window if we are going to retain our PL status.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here