Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Same Sh*t, Different Day

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I enjoyed that game. Both teams played well, although I am disappointed we didn't win it.

I am sick of our fans calling us shit every time we don't get three points. We aren't shit!

We aren't getting relegated either.

I respect your opinion but are you really sure we aren't going to get relegated. As I am pretty 50/50 at best atm... Need to start picking up some wins sharpish given our latter fixtures.,,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course he has been. He’s being asked to keep a team in the PL that has a strikeforce that is actually weaker than it was last season in the Championship. We have the worst strikeforce this division has ever seen and one that Hughton would rightly have expected to be strengthened long ago. The fact he has conjured up 23 points shows the astuteness and organisational abilities of the man. It’s a minor miracle. Who knows how many points we have tossed away so far as a result of the summer window disaster, but the very least they can do now is give the manager the tools he deserves by the time we play West Brom.

The usual suspects will hate the post above but not signing a striker will be the reason we go down, if we do. Therefore unless we get one before the end of the window CH has been let down. Only a fool can think our strike force is anywhere near Premier League quality, but so many are happy to swallow the excuses given without question.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hughtons negative tactics will send us down.

NSC is represented by the full spectrum of the bell curve. Fortunately, according to the Gaussian distribution, only 5% of the population stray more than two standard deviations from the mean.

So... what is it like out there?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The usual suspects will hate the post above but not signing a striker will be the reason we go down, if we do. Therefore unless we get one before the end of the window CH has been let down. Only a fool can think our strike force is anywhere near Premier League quality, but so many are happy to swallow the excuses given without question.

This implies there is a different reason why we failed to sign a striker than the one we have been offered by the club. OK Icy, tell us what it is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This implies there is a different reason why we failed to sign a striker than the one we have been offered by the club. OK Icy, tell us what it is.

We didn’t have enough irons in fire? We wouldn’t pay the going rate for a striker who would have signed. I can only guess. But by the same token is there any set of circumstances where the club would have held their hands up and admitted they failed due to their own recruitment policy? Not a chance. Spin is Mr Barber’s forte if you hadn’t noticed and he is the mouthpiece when things go wrong/need explaining, and he is very good at it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We didn’t have enough irons in fire? We wouldn’t pay the going rate for a striker who would have signed. I can only guess. But by the same token is there any set of circumstances where the club would have held their hands up and admitted they failed due to their own recruitment policy? Not a chance.
All more plausible than:-

'deals are cheaper at the end of the window'.

That was the limp excuse this time, wasn't it?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We didn’t have enough irons in fire? We wouldn’t pay the going rate for a striker who would have signed. I can only guess. But by the same token is there any set of circumstances where the club would have held their hands up and admitted they failed due to their own recruitment policy? Not a chance. Spin is Mr Barber’s forte if you hadn’t noticed and he is the mouthpiece when things go wrong/need explaining, and he is very good at it.

But we haven't failed mate, we are 12th in the Premier league of the biggest league in the world. We may have learnt a lesson for sure, but we'll have to pay a top notch striker 80k a week, this will not make the rest of our players happy. Where do we go?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Spot on. As much as what’s done is done and we have had to make the best of what we’ve had, it’s worth remembering whenever you read a post criticising Hughton that he’s performed far above all realistic expectations this season just to give us a CHANCE of survival. 23 points with an attack that consists of a pedestrian 34 year old with almost no top flight experience and a hard worker who struggled to score regularly in the Championship is arguably the greatest Albion managerial achievement of my life and he deserves so much respect. The PL is all about goals and strikers and we are so lame in this department, but thanks to the manager we are still in there fighting, even if it’s getting tougher.

We don’t need “a striker”, we need two or three. The club need to appreciate how lucky they are to have a manager who has papered over their almighty cock up in the summer and provide him with at least one of those strikers right now. No more messing about, no more dropped points because we can’t finish anyone off, do it before West Brom. It might already be too late, but for god sake let’s give ourselves a chance.

Well thought out and agreeable comment.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Said it when the transfer window closed...if we go down the number one reason will be our inability to sign a striker. Going into a Premier League season with only a 36 year old Glenn Murray and Tomer Hemed fit was bordering on irresponsible. Chris Hughton has performed a minor miracle getting us to this points tally with the forward options available to him. The only saving grace if we do get relegated is that our chairman is a notorious gambler and I’d fully expect him to keep the squad together for another push in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Said it when the transfer window closed...if we go down the number one reason will be our inability to sign a striker. Going into a Premier League season with only a 36 year old Glenn Murray and Tomer Hemed fit was bordering on irresponsible. Chris Hughton has performed a minor miracle getting us to this points tally with the forward options available to him. The only saving grace if we do get relegated is that our chairman is a notorious gambler and I’d fully expect him to keep the squad together for another push in the championship.

You started the Schelletto thread :laugh:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It was a good game and we played okay but it’s not the result we needed. I’m starting to think we’re going down. The numbers just don’t add up. We still need 15 points, so a minimum of four wins, but we only have Swansea, Huddersfield and West Ham to play at home who you think we could beat. We’ve only won three out of 11 at home this season so how likely are we to win those three? There is virtually no chance sadly. Chances are we will win one, two if we’re very lucky. So this means we are going to need to win at least a couple of games either away from home or against the big six. Again, I’m struggling to see it. Six home draws against the also rans shows we just aren’t quite good enough.

It’s such a shame because most of our team is decent but the chronic lack of quality in attack is going to cost us. It doesn’t help that we cant defend corners or clear the ball effectively either, both issues that a League One team would be disappointed with. Ultimately Hughton has done brilliantly to squeeze 23 points out of a squad that contains no PL quality attackers and he deserves great credit for that, but he’s been badly let down by the board. They need to support him with signings now and hope it somehow isn’t too late, but I fear it is.
I’d rather be in our shoes than Swansea, WBA or Stoke’s.

It’ll be a struggle right up to game 38, but I’m certain there are three worse teams than ours in the division.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Sorry but taking you seriously would be like thinking Hitler is the world Emperor.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
You started the Schelletto thread [emoji23]
Very observant of you.

Unfortunately current state, as it was then, was Schellotto did not look like a professional footballer.

The jury's still out for me (he's far too unconventional) however credit where credits due he was much better today, particularly second half.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The usual suspects will hate the post above but not signing a striker will be the reason we go down, if we do.
if. If, IF ffs! It's 'If', not 'will', as some seem so desperate to say.

Therefore unless we get one before the end of the window CH has been let down. Only a fool can think our strike force is anywhere near Premier League quality, but so many are happy to swallow the excuses given without question.
Yes, we didn't get the striker we wanted in the summer. Only a fool thinks we didn't try to replace, or at least augment, our strike force in the summer. But.......we've done bloody well for over half a season in spite of that. We all want a striker in during January (prefersbly ea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here