[Albion] Safe Standing Survey...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Do I want to stand ? No

Do I like other people standing around me ? No , as it blocks my view .

Do I thinking standing should be considered in any part of the stadium ? No need

Do I like sitting ? Absolutely.

That was easy ..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably in a minority, but I quite like NS the way it is ie spontaneous standing when the action's up our end. Be honest. Who can be honestly arsed to stand up when you've got a completely clear view of whatever's happening at the other end of the pitch?

Just seems to me that the club are reluctantly having to pay lip-service to this knee-jerk nod to the bygone Goldstone era bolleaux. The NS at the Amex is in no way equivalent to the NS at the Goldstone. At the Goldstone, the NS was free-range. You could stand wherever you wanted. At the Amex you're at a battery farm. You'll still have to sit/stand where your seat says

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
My views don’t count much because I am not a STH or even get to every game and I am disabled, so unable to use the NS even with supposedly all seater. - there’s too much risk I would get knocked over in the goal celebrations.

If the Club is serious however about reviewing the H&S implications of illegitimate standing - is safe standing in the NS going to stop half the fans standing in other areas of the stadium every time the ball goes anywhere near either goal? Stop that first please or, if you are intent on spending club money on improving spectator experience create additional areas of safe standing (in the East and West Stands too) so elderly and disabled people know all seated means all seated..and don’t then miss penalties, corners and goals because several rows of igits have leapt up in front of them.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
On one of those occasions I cracked my shin against the edge of the seat in front, resulting in a nasty gash which was rather painful for a good few days. Having a barrier would have stopped me going forward like that. I'm sure those incidents must happen regularly in the north stand.

Exactly, It's the 'safe' part of safe standing that people seem to forget.

It's true, that a lot of people in the NS stand but to say we don't need rails because people stand anyway is missing the point. Realistically It's not going to make a significant change to the atmosphere, but it will mitigate against that one occasion when someone goes arse over tit and breaks their back. Just like paying for St Johns Ambulance to be at the ground every week, it's a something that should be installed for health and safety reasons, if nothing else.

To have the club say that its a choice between safety and better fan facilities is just plain wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why would people have to relocate? As I mentioned in my previous post, surely there would only be an issue if people that usually sit suddenly start standing. If it's the status quo with only those that stand at the moment standing - there won't be an issue for those that want to carry on sitting.
It depends how far down the club intend to put the rails. I sit in the middle of the north stand so I can see the other end. If my row or the one in front became safe standing, I would have to relocate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do I want to stand ? No

Do I like other people standing around me ? No , as it blocks my view .

Do I thinking standing should be considered in any part of the stadium ? No need

Do I like sitting ? Absolutely.

That was easy ..
Even easier: you stand if the guy in front of you stands and blocks your view. You want me to sit down? You tell that guy to sit down.

Same as it ever was :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting. Difficult questions to answer unless you are already in the North or South Stand.

I'd like to see it because I think it would help the atmosphere but I think it needs to be in tandom with moving away fans.

I'd make safe standing in North and South and move away fans into East lower. Maybe do North safe standing first and see how that goes but make it clear that South safe standing will be considered when moving away fans.

Yes some in East lower won't be happy but overall I think it would be positive.
Mission creep.
PB has stated on numerous occasions that away fans won't be moved.
I think your some in the east lower may not be happy is an understatement

So on the basis that the North stand already stand, how will this improve the atmosphere.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
It depends how far down the club intend to put the rails. I sit in the middle of the north stand so I can see the other end. If my row or the one in front became safe standing, I would have to relocate.

OK, I'm trying to understand this. So you're in the middle of the north stand and assume you sit. And am I right in assuming that the people in front of you also sit? Would putting rails in suddenly make those people in front of you stand throughout the game? Why would they change their behaviour when they could stand now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Relocate, shortest at the front, tallest at the back. Job done.
It's supposed to be something like that at away grounds because the fans arrange it that way. I get a ticket very near the front because I buy through Customer Services and still had selfish people on the front row, stand in front of me.

The worse case scenario was at Goodison. I was on the very front row, and a wheelchair user was placed right in front of me. All I could see was his back and shoulders.
Luckily, a Scouse steward saw what was happening and took me onto the track where I could sit in a carer's seat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK, I'm trying to understand this. So you're in the middle of the north stand and assume you sit. And am I right in assuming that the people in front of you also sit? Would putting rails in suddenly make those people in front of you stand throughout the game? Why would they change their behaviour when they could stand now?
The people in front of me only stand when we're about to score in the NS goal or a corner. They then sit down again. I can cope with that.
If it was changed to safe standing then the people there would rightly want to stand for the whole game.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The people in front of me only stand when we're about to score in the NS goal or a corner. They then sit down again. I can cope with that.
If it was changed to safe standing then the people there would rightly want to stand for the whole game.

But they could stand now all the time if they really wanted to ... surely? Or is there a steward preventing them from doing that at the moment?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Maybe the club could invest in machine learning driven self raising seats linked to live match events?
Whilst their at it maybe strap a seat belt on them that doesn’t unlock until 45 and 90 minutes

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That’s what I thought, so why not be explicit? …..more important than safe standing imo but the survey doesn’t have a question that addresses what might not get done instead.
No, but is does hint of other plans which may not happen as a result.

£30 million striker................................................

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The whole thing really is a bit of a nonsense really. It's not like the NS is suddenly going to be transformed into a CAULDRON of noise. And even if it were, the rest of the home support would be sat quietly in their seats awarding NS marks out of 10 :lolol:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The whole thing really is a bit of a nonsense really. It's not like the NS is suddenly going to be transformed into a CAULDRON of noise. And even if it were, the rest of the home support would be sat quietly in their seats awarding NS marks out of 10 :lolol:

I haven't mentioned noise. All of my comments have been about safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports