[Albion] Safe Standing Survey...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If it helps the atmosphere, I'd be for it in the North. South Stand, absolutely not, as the last thing we need to do is help the away fans be noisier (although they stand up anyway, I suppose). Used to love standing up but nowadays not keen. Much wider demographic of fans than ever before and it's a downgrade from seating for anyone short or unsteady on their feet.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Presumably you've copy n pasted from an official sauce? Would 'of' been nice if you'd included a link.

Assuming It's kosher, club seem to be pretty anti. Mind you, they seemed to be pretty anti encroachment onto the pitch when EPL promotion was achieved, despite the image of TB with tens of thousands of encroachers being THE iconic image of that most memorable of days

It is an email from Brighton & Hove Albion <info@email.brightonandhovealbion.com> at 13:40 today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Presumably you've copy n pasted from an official sauce? Would 'of' been nice if you'd included a link.

Assuming It's kosher, club seem to be pretty anti. Mind you, they seemed to be pretty anti encroachment onto the pitch when EPL promotion was achieved, despite the image of TB with tens of thousands of encroachers being THE iconic image of that most memorable of days
I've got the email and the questions do differentiate between the back half of the NS and the front half.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Well I say no as it will involve a barrier being installed in the North. Whereas if we just stick how we are, then everyone stands anyway so I say, don’t bother what’s the point?

I don't understand this argument saying 'we stand anyway and therefore don't need it'.

In my mind, having the 'barrier' makes standing safer ... hence safe standing. I'm in upper west - so I'm not affected by home games. However ... with Albion scoring freely these days, I'm out of my seat celebrating more and more ... and on more than one occasion I've nearly gone over the seat/chap sat in front of me. On one of those occasions I cracked my shin against the edge of the seat in front, resulting in a nasty gash which was rather painful for a good few days. Having a barrier would have stopped me going forward like that. I'm sure those incidents must happen regularly in the north stand.

And for away games I've been to, I've much preferred it when there has been a barrier in front providing a bit of support ... Liverpool and Spurs away spring to mind.

How much will it affect people that sit in the north stand?? That surely depends on if people in front of them that usually sit then feel they'd like to stand. You don't have to stand just because there's a barrier!

I'm all for it and hope more clubs introduce it in away sections.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Although the club obviously isn't keen I'm trying to think of a ground I've been to in recent years that hasn't had safe standing. With more and more clubs installing rails it does feel like its fairly inevitable

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't understand this argument saying 'we stand anyway and therefore don't need it'.

In my mind, having the 'barrier' makes standing safer ... hence safe standing. I'm in upper west - so I'm not affected by home games. However ... with Albion scoring freely these days, I'm out of my seat celebrating more and more ... and on more than one occasion I've nearly gone over the seat/chap sat in front of me. On one of those occasions I cracked my shin against the edge of the seat in front, resulting in a nasty gash which was rather painful for a good few days. Having a barrier would have stopped me going forward like that. I'm sure those incidents must happen regularly in the north stand.

And for away games I've been to, I've much preferred it when there has been a barrier in front providing a bit of support ... Liverpool and Spurs away spring to mind.

How much will it affect people that sit in the north stand?? That surely depends on if people in front of them that usually sit then feel they'd like to stand. You don't have to stand just because there's a barrier!

I'm all for it and hope more clubs introduce it in away sections.
If having to relocate, there is also the matter of the cost of the season ticket, as the NS is the cheapest in the ground.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The safe standing I’ve experienced at a couple of away grounds works well - but (obviously) only does so if everyone stands. Not sure how that is achieved without upsetting a ton of people who might need to move if it’s introduced

The slightly disingenuous line in the email about installation ‘would likely divert or delay budget and resources away from other stadium improvements that might benefit a larger number of supporters’ needs expanding - what exactly are the options ? I would for example put better facilities (toilets, food and drink, big screens perhaps) outside the ground ahead of introducing safe standing if there is really an opportunity cost.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
We remain open-minded to the introduction of safe standing at the Amex (in the North and South stands only) but its introduction would be at considerable additional cost to the club and would likely divert or delay budget and resources away from other stadium improvements that might benefit a larger number of supporters.

This line particularly irks me. How can you come up with stuff like this when you're spending a considerable amount of money building "the Tunnel Club" for the benefit of a few well off people

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This line particularly irks me. How can you come up with stuff like this when you're spending a considerable amount of money building "the Tunnel Club" for the benefit of a few well off people
The Tunnel Club Experience thing pays for itself with increased revenue. Safe standing doesn't.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Don't worry - if you didn't get the survey then you won't have to contend with South Standing anyway :thumbsup:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
If having to relocate, there is also the matter of the cost of the season ticket, as the NS is the cheapest in the ground.
Why would people have to relocate? As I mentioned in my previous post, surely there would only be an issue if people that usually sit suddenly start standing. If it's the status quo with only those that stand at the moment standing - there won't be an issue for those that want to carry on sitting.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The slightly disingenuous line in the email about installation ‘would likely divert or delay budget and resources away from other stadium improvements that might benefit a larger number of supporters’ needs expanding - what exactly are the options ? I would for example put better facilities (toilets, food and drink, big screens perhaps) outside the ground ahead of introducing safe standing if there is really an opportunity cost.
its exactly that. A fan zone incorporating some or all of - toilets, screens, food, entertainment, covering - outside the ground has been on the cards for a while now and the club have planning permission.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Why would people have to relocate? As I mentioned in my previous post, surely there would only be an issue if people that usually sit suddenly start standing. If it's the status quo with only those that stand at the moment standing - there won't be an issue for those that want to carry on sitting.
Relocate, shortest at the front, tallest at the back. Job done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
its exactly that. A fan zone incorporating some or all of - toilets, screens, food, entertainment, covering - outside the ground has been on the cards for a while now and the club have planning permission.
That’s what I thought, so why not be explicit? …..more important than safe standing imo but the survey doesn’t have a question that addresses what might not get done instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports