Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing Survey...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
SAFE STANDING SURVEY
Following discussions with the Fan Advisory Board, we are open to considering safe standing in The Amex and would love to hear to hear your opinions!

The results of this survey will be shared with fans through the club's website. Ultimately, the decision on whether to introduce safe standing at the Amex rests with the club’s board of directors taking in to account supporters’ views (for and against), the opinions of the local authority, and of course any such scheme’s financial viability.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Safe Standing Survey
The Safe Standing Survey has been prepared following discussions with the Fan Advisory Board, and is designed to gather the views of as many fans as possible.

We remain open-minded to the introduction of safe standing at the Amex (in the North and South stands only) but its introduction would be at considerable additional cost to the club and would likely divert or delay budget and resources away from other stadium improvements that might benefit a larger number of supporters.

When completing this survey, it's therefore important to note:
  1. Safe standing would not increase the capacity of the stadium, and tickets would not be sold at a cheaper price.
  2. Safe standing would not allow fans to stand where they wished, and would require them to remain in the position allocated to them.
  3. Safe standing would involve a rail being installed in front of the current seats to prevent fans from falling or crushing. The current seating wouldn’t be removed.
  4. This means fans could still sit if they wished, but wouldn’t be able to see the match if those fans in front chose to stand.
  5. The installation of safe standing may require some supporters to move from their current positions if they do not wish to be in a safe standing area.
  6. Only the North and South stands are being considered for safe standing at the Amex.
The results of this survey will be shared with the Fan Advisory Board, and with all fans through the club’s website. Ultimately, the decision on whether to introduce safe standing at the Amex rests with the club’s board of directors taking in to account supporters’ views (for and against), the opinions of the local authority, and of course any such scheme’s financial viability.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
North yes. South not needed but as away always stand then, by law, should safe standing be put in?
Personaly I sit but that's East Upper so wont get up there anyway.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Completed the survey, but to be honest I don't really have any strong feelings about it either way. Wouldn't personally want to be in a safe standing area, I'm in WSU so not going to happen anyway, but not against it for those that do.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Great that they are opening the discussion again. I only make the odd game here and there every season but would love this to be in place.

I do wonder if the survey has come about from people questioning the use of the FAB the other week though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting. Difficult questions to answer unless you are already in the North or South Stand.

I'd like to see it because I think it would help the atmosphere but I think it needs to be in tandom with moving away fans.

I'd make safe standing in North and South and move away fans into East lower. Maybe do North safe standing first and see how that goes but make it clear that South safe standing will be considered when moving away fans.

Yes some in East lower won't be happy but overall I think it would be positive.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not with a shopping list of dos and don'ts. Having to stand in an allocated space really defeats the object. Retaining the existing seating is just "standing up in your seat" which is what is done in the NS now. If it is going to divert financial resources for no effective change to what is already happening, it just isn't worth it.

My main concern is point 5; requiring some fans to move from their existing seat. No. Just no. We are way better than them up the road. Longstanding STHs should not be forced to move.

The time to factor in / plan for safe standing was in the first few seasons at the Amex when Barber repeatedly said that the club would never support the safe standing campaign. Too little, too late now.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As with all these questions, there are nuances. For example, would I be prepared to pay more for safe standing? Is that as the owner of a safe standing ticket or in general i.e. should the fan base pay for the upgrade?

Personally, if it falls on the fans who attend games to pay for it i.e. like a taxation on a ticket, then I think we should all pay for it. It's hard to ask fans to pay more when the Premier League clubs are spending so much on player wages, transfers etc. but there you go.

I think safe standing does add something, and as fans already stand, then we should make it safe for them or get them to sit down (good luck with that one.) I appreciate that some might be asked to move, but when we moved to the Amex safe standing was not an option. And as for moving, if we can ask fans to move to Gillingham for a couple of years then we can ask them to move seats within the same arena.

I don't think it should be as simple as just the North and South. I'd like to see some of the South West included and maybe some of the North West excluded (enabling North standers who want to sit to move but within the North. If that were possible it would go some way to creating options for people.)

Either way, I hope the results are not driven by confusion in the questions. For example, the question about experience of safe standing will most likely only include experiences of standing at away grounds. That's entirely different to standing as a home supporter where the stewarding (and behaviour) of fans will be entirely different.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I say no as it will involve a barrier being installed in the North. Whereas if we just stick how we are, then everyone stands anyway so I say, don’t bother what’s the point?
I'm in the North Stand and no, not everyone stands. If it was made into safe standing then I would have to move. Apart from difficulty standing, I am only 5' 6 so if I get anyone tall in front of me, I've had it.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Well I say no as it will involve a barrier being installed in the North. Whereas if we just stick how we are, then everyone stands anyway so I say, don’t bother what’s the point?
Exactly this.

I’d really support a proper ‘stand where you like’ standing option which could easily be done safely and in limited parts of the stadium with proper crush barriers and raking but this whole ‘safe standing’ thing seems to have more negatives than positives given the rule list above and the impact on those who would now have to stand or move.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not overly bothered one way or the other just as long as it isn't where I sit - which being WSU means it won't.

I do wonder if many supporting it just have misty eye'd days of terraces ( which I would like back ) but of course safe standing isn't really terrace style standing.

Really not sure it's worth the cost.

EDIT - it would be nice if the club checked for errors before sending it out - "tick all that apply" on a single choice poll :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Safe Standing Survey
The Safe Standing Survey has been prepared following discussions with the Fan Advisory Board, and is designed to gather the views of as many fans as possible.

We remain open-minded to the introduction of safe standing at the Amex (in the North and South stands only) but its introduction would be at considerable additional cost to the club and would likely divert or delay budget and resources away from other stadium improvements that might benefit a larger number of supporters.

When completing this survey, it's therefore important to note:
  1. Safe standing would not increase the capacity of the stadium, and tickets would not be sold at a cheaper price.
  2. Safe standing would not allow fans to stand where they wished, and would require them to remain in the position allocated to them.
  3. Safe standing would involve a rail being installed in front of the current seats to prevent fans from falling or crushing. The current seating wouldn’t be removed.
  4. This means fans could still sit if they wished, but wouldn’t be able to see the match if those fans in front chose to stand.
  5. The installation of safe standing may require some supporters to move from their current positions if they do not wish to be in a safe standing area.
  6. Only the North and South stands are being considered for safe standing at the Amex.
The results of this survey will be shared with the Fan Advisory Board, and with all fans through the club’s website. Ultimately, the decision on whether to introduce safe standing at the Amex rests with the club’s board of directors taking in to account supporters’ views (for and against), the opinions of the local authority, and of course any such scheme’s financial viability.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.
Presumably you've copy n pasted from an official sauce? Would 'of' been nice if you'd included a link.

Assuming It's kosher, club seem to be pretty anti. Mind you, they seemed to be pretty anti encroachment onto the pitch when EPL promotion was achieved, despite the image of TB with tens of thousands of encroachers being THE iconic image of that most memorable of days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here