Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Nice idea in principle. But does anyone seriously believe Mr Bloom is going to stump up for this having only just provided us with a first class new stadium and facilities. And if he was kind enough to redesign the north stand do you honestly think he will then offer cheaper tickets for those who want to stand. Free beer and pies as well anyone?

The money would be made back because you can fit more people in the stand that way. That would mean more tickets being sold and more complementary goods being sold.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This. Would love the 'no' voters to say why. Not picking a fight, just interested.

When season tickets originally went on sale we were told that the back 4 rows would be standing, and therefore, the expectation that everyone else would be seated. As a result, fans who either wanted to sit behind the goal, or could not afford anywhere else, or the north stand was all that was left.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
row-space-seat-down2.png

1 seating space turns into 2 standing spaces.

Who gets the seat out of the two people?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
The money would be made back because you can fit more people in the stand that way. That would mean more tickets being sold and more complementary goods being sold.

This assumes that we could attract more than 30,000 for every game.
If we reach the premiership it could be feasible but I'm sure unless this happens they won't be tearing out seats anytime soon. It is not a sound financial proposition at the moment.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
1 Presumably Palace fans can vote on this poll?
2 Some fans may wish to remain seated in North?

(I voted FOR Standing in the North BTW, even though I sit in Upper West and would have no wish to move).

Even Palace are backing it! I would too if I was them - sure they'd much prefer to come to the AMEX if there was a terrace!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Due to demand surely the club could charge more for a standing ticket than a seated ticket, this would also increase our turnover so sounds like a good idea

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Meh, personally I'm not that bothered. I loved standing on the terraces, but I can do without it now, I think people overly romanticise it. The new model of safe standing does little to recreate the old terraces either.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even Palace are backing it! I would too if I was them - sure they'd much prefer to come to the AMEX if there was a terrace!

I agree but you will have some people who will vote against it for the hell of it and the poll is specifically about the North Stand. I'm only guessing.

Shame it wasn't a public poll (but there again some may have voted differently.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Safe standing would at least go some way towards changing the sterile atmosphere in many grounds. Given that many - or maybe even most - in the North Stand would prefer to stand, it should be something that the club at least is prepared to consider, particularly if it could be another means of increasing capacity, and improving the vocal support the crowd can provide for the team.

We all know you sing better standing up, and you feel more involved in the game - and better able to celebrate when the goals go in.
If it can be provided in a way that is safe for all concerned, it should certainly be looked at. Let's face it, it would still only be a small percentage of the whole ground, so there'd be plenty of seats elsewhere for those who want to sit down.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why should fans who wish to stand be restricted to only 10% of the stadium?

Ridiculous argument.

Only because you don't have a valid argument.
Officially fans who wish to stand are not permitted to even enter the stadium, so not restricted to 10%.
Fans who are entering the stadium on the the terms of the clubs policy and want to sit and watch the game from behind the goal at the home end, you say should be excluded in favour of those who want to enter on the're own term in contrary to the terms of the ticket bought,and you think it's a ridiculous argument. ???

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Safe standing will return to football and the club should be embracing this campaign and give it's customer base the choice it desires
With the unfinished corners of the North Stand being the ideal place to start.
Install safe standing seats there first and make them available to current season ticket holders to move to,with every fan expecting to stand it would remove the conflict between those who want to stand and those that want to sit.
If we are to make the Premiership we will either need extortionate ticket prices or increased capacity to pay for it,safe standing gives us an easy and flexible way of increasing match day revenue.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Nice idea in principle. But does anyone seriously believe Mr Bloom is going to stump up for this having only just provided us with a first class new stadium and facilities. And if he was kind enough to redesign the north stand do you honestly think he will then offer cheaper tickets for those who want to stand. Free beer and pies as well anyone?

Why not,he is offering free beer and pies to students from the universities now,buy a ticket get a meal deal free.

Oct 25, 2003
Only because you don't have a valid argument.
Officially fans who wish to stand are not permitted to even enter the stadium, so not restricted to 10%.
Fans who are entering the stadium on the the terms of the clubs policy and want to sit and watch the game from behind the goal at the home end, you say should be excluded in favour of those who want to enter on the're own term in contrary to the terms of the ticket bought,and you think it's a ridiculous argument. ???

a terraced north stand would hold, what, 4,000 people.....if you don't like it you have 26,000 other seats to choose from, including another behind the goal stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here