Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
row-space-seat-down2.png

1 seating space turns into 2 standing spaces.

I don't think you'll find that's how it works. I seated space = 1 standing space.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"we'd LIKE you to rip out these nice expensive padded seats you've just spend thousands on and let us stand up"
- They can be removed and used elsewhere in the stadium.
If those seats could be re-used (I suspect it's too late as we have enough), this backed proposal needs to go to the club ASAP, before they buy more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, I'm suprised by that figure. I don't feel that there's all that much room now when we stand, and I'm only a slight 11 stone.
Presumably it's not just moving the seats closer sideways, but you can also have more rows when standing (the seats in the picture fold to about an inch thick).

Ah, I see there's a diagram example.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Any numbers people out there, who could work out what the capacity could go to if done in the North and South stands?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Any numbers people out there, who could work out what the capacity could go to if done in the North and South stands?

From my maths it's 66% increase, since an increase in the row depth of 20% will offer a doubling of the capacity as one person stands behind another. (ie. 2/1.2) That would increase the stadium capacity by about 3400.

I'm not sure where I got 1.2 from though, maybe that's rubbish.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't think you'll find that's how it works. I seated space = 1 standing space.

Note the step under the seat. Technically, it could be 1 seat = 2 standing, but it says on the safe standing website that this wouldn't comply with British laws (not sure why), so a ratio of 1.8 is all that would be allowed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Today's 'security' chiefs want to be able to identify the location of everyone in the stadium, so they want you sitting placidly, a customer in a numbered seat, not a fan on a terrace. In order to win the battle for safe standing that attitude has to be tackled head on. There's plenty of time :)

With safe standing, are you still allocated a "seat" as such ie you have to stand where you are allocated?

Atmosphere is built from those that start the singing congregating together.

I think this is the only real problem with it. I think they'd only do it if each fan had a numbered spot where they had to stand. And that wouldn't bring back the old atmosphere of everyone congregating together with their mates. But it would still be better.

Also, apologies if I'm missing something here, but let's say the club wanted to do it, doesn't the law need to be change? What actually needs to happen? And if it is feasible then why hasn't it been done already?

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
Surely, to do any of this would mean a lot more work than simply taking the existing seats out and replacing them, wouldn't it? The entire steps/terrace would need to be reconfigured. Can anyone honestly see this happening in a stadium that only 18 months old? If we were redeveloping an old stand, then maybe, but I really can't see this happening at the AMEX for the foreseeable future. So for the meantime, sit down, shut up!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The problem with that is the rows in the north are already concreted, so it would take a LOT of effort to even slightly change the step spacings.

Other problems, transport is always an issue, toilets, and there might be evacuation problems unless more vomitories are constructed. Further to that the north is already pretty shallow so if you pack more people in it's going to be a worse view.

I really want it to happen and if everyone wanted it, then it could be done safely. The problem is I see so many reasons why people will oppose it, and for a 10% increase in capacity, I don't see the bean counters agreeing with the proposal.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I would be in agreement if the space I already have and pay for is not made in to space for two people! How would that work if we ever had games where you were required to sit! Who would have priority for the seat! My seat space for me and I will gladly safe stand as I do now? Clearly there have been no incidens or injuries that I know of for the people who are already in agreement with the club allowed to stand? Surely that could be your trial area or currently running trial all be it without the rails in place.

We have another few thousand seats going in. The one's who don't fancy standing or can not stand can move around to the corners and free up space for people who can and will want to stand.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem with that is the rows in the north are already concreted, so it would take a LOT of effort to even slightly change the step spacings.

Other problems, transport is always an issue, toilets, and there might be evacuation problems unless more vomitories are constructed. Further to that the north is already pretty shallow so if you pack more people in it's going to be a worse view.

I really want it to happen and if everyone wanted it, then it could be done safely. The problem is I see so many reasons why people will oppose it, and for a 10% increase in capacity, I don't see the bean counters agreeing with the proposal.

I think we need to knock this argument on the head now. I can't see the club ever bothering to change the configutration of the steps, and there are other reasons for not increasing the capacity of the stand. It will not affect the view in any way, the rake of the stand makes no difference.

If we are going to push for this to happen at some point, we need to focus on keeping the capacity the same for now. Literally just remove the seats and put the rails in, that way it provides the antis with less ammo to say no.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would be in agreement if the space I already have and pay for is not made in to space for two people! How would that work if we ever had games where you were required to sit! Who would have priority for the seat! My seat space for me and I will gladly safe stand as I do now? Clearly there have been no incidens or injuries that I know of for the people who are already in agreement with the club allowed to stand? Surely that could be your trial area or currently running trial all be it without the rails in place.

We have another few thousand seats going in. The one's who don't fancy standing or can not stand can move around to the corners and free up space for people who can and will want to stand.

Why would we completley re-design the stand to allow people to stand, and then have games where they are required to sit? I'm not sure you're getting this.

Edit: I've just realised what you mean. But I think they'd only put the seats down for internationals etc, there wouldn't be any Albion games where you would be required to sit. Unless I'm missing something?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
No that's right, the seats are locked up for domestic games, then a steward will go round with a key to unlock the seats if there is an international.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, but I'd go further and say South stand as well.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, but I'd go further and say South stand as well.

Whilst I'd agree, I think it would make sense to do one area first and see what the demand is before rushing into changing several areas.

A lot of us still hanker after the old days when we were allowed to stand and move around during the game. A generation of football fans who haven't had that option may not even want it for all we know!

Oct 11, 2005
London
Why would we completley re-design the stand to allow people to stand, and then have games where they are required to sit? I'm not sure you're getting this.

Edit: I've just realised what you mean. But I think they'd only put the seats down for internationals etc, there wouldn't be any Albion games where you would be required to sit. Unless I'm missing something?

Internationals and Champions League / UEFA Cup

Oct 11, 2005
London
With safe standing, are you still allocated a "seat" as such ie you have to stand where you are allocated?

Atmosphere is built from those that start the singing congregating together.

Yeah safe standing works in the same way as seating - you are allocated a space. So the stewards can't complain - they'll still know where everyone in the stadium is. There's a great video about it here: Safe Standing: A Common Sense Solution? - YouTube

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's definitely not the case at all. Fans want safe standing, the response has been fantastic so far.

I realise that, but I just worry that when they get it, they might decide it's not for them and go back to seated areas.

I can't believe how used I've got to sitting down at the football. I would never have considered it until it became the only option.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I'm amazed to see 8 people have voted no. What can anyone possibly object to about this. We are only talking about one small area of the ground so if you don't like the idea of standing you can sit anwhere else in the ground. Did you not understand the question or click on the wrong button by accident?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports