• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yeah safe standing works in the same way as seating - you are allocated a space. So the stewards can't complain - they'll still know where everyone in the stadium is. There's a great video about it here: Safe Standing: A Common Sense Solution? - YouTube

Thanks for that - very interesting. I certainly don't have any issues with it - it would arguably make things safer than now in that there would not be a proper seat there for people to stand on.

As long as people are aware that this is not a return to the terrace where you could stand where you liked and move if you wanted to. Singers will still have to organise themselves and buy tickets in the same area etc.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=3940]Mayfair Seagull[/MENTION] - that is a superb video.

The results of the poll speak volumes. I haven't heard a SINGLE good argument AGAINST safe standing in certain areas of the ground. It makes sense. Everyone wants it.

So when will the powers that be take some action?

Oct 11, 2005
London
[MENTION=3940]Mayfair Seagull[/MENTION] - that is a superb video.

The results of the poll speak volumes. I haven't heard a SINGLE good argument AGAINST safe standing in certain areas of the ground. It makes sense. Everyone wants it.

So when will the powers that be take some action?

We're currently trying to get the club to agree to a visit from the Safe Standing roadshow: Safe Standing Roadshow.co.uk Other clubs have been quick to support safe standing after such visits, and I can't see any reason at all why ours should be different.

The campaign aims to get as many clubs as possible supporting it, and then it will be taken to the FA. MP's are getting behind the campaign too, so its a good idea to write to your local MP if you can, asking him/her to back it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We're currently trying to get the club to agree to a visit from the Safe Standing roadshow: Safe Standing Roadshow.co.uk Other clubs have been quick to support safe standing after such visits, and I can't see any reason at all why ours should be different.

The campaign aims to get as many clubs as possible supporting it, and then it will be taken to the FA. MP's are getting behind the campaign too, so its a good idea to write to your local MP if you can, asking him/her to back it.

Sending PM!

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I realise that, but I just worry that when they get it, they might decide it's not for them and go back to seated areas.

I can't believe how used I've got to sitting down at the football. I would never have considered it until it became the only option.

This is all we want - an option. To sit or stand.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I'm amazed to see 8 people have voted no. What can anyone possibly object to about this. We are only talking about one small area of the ground so if you don't like the idea of standing you can sit anwhere else in the ground. Did you not understand the question or click on the wrong button by accident?

This. Would love the 'no' voters to say why. Not picking a fight, just interested.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If you read the pros and the myths on this website, I can guarantee that you will have no valid argument to be against an option of Safe Standing.
Safe Standing Roadshow.co.uk

The people who answered 'no' on the poll, you do realise that you can still sit elsewhere in the stadium, right? Surely they must all be people who are adamant about wanting to sit at the back of the North Stand.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I am against standing whilst it is against the law to do so.

However, I think that the law, which was right at the time, is now outdated and totally unnecessary. As has been said many times we are well behind the rest of Europe on this.

Safe standing as described above should be made legal as soon as possible. I can't believe that anyone would be against it.

It will, of course, cost clubs a lot of money to convert.

It may cost a bit to put in but the club would earn it back quite quickly as you can get more people in with it.

I would like to see it in the North and the South and the East and West left as they are. This would mean there would be more then enough for people who do want to stand and there could also then be an option to stand for a small amount of Non-STH if the away doesn't sell out. We would also be more likely to get bigger away crowds if it was in the south..

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

I wrote to Norman Baker a little while ago and he said he is supporting it, which surprised me.

People should also sign the petition at http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Very confused by those who have voted 'no'.

You shouldn't be, if there was a poll asking whether night was darker than day with a yes/no choice, I reckon that about 10% of any population would say no.

The 10% would include the bewildered, willfull spoilers, those being contrary for contrary's sake, those that see bright lights in the sky at night etc. etc.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Nice idea in principle. But does anyone seriously believe Mr Bloom is going to stump up for this having only just provided us with a first class new stadium and facilities. And if he was kind enough to redesign the north stand do you honestly think he will then offer cheaper tickets for those who want to stand. Free beer and pies as well anyone?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Following on from recent threads about sit/stand conflicts, and plenty of discussion on this board about the Safe Standing campaign, it would be good to get a clear yes/no vote on the topic.

The Safe Standing campaign has gathered significant momentum over the last couple of months and they have the backing of Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Burnley, Cardiff City, Cryst*l P*lace, Derby County, Doncaster Rovers, Hull City, Peterborough United, Watford, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League. The campaign website is well put together and has a video showing how the rail seats are used in Germany.

Let's be clear about this - Safe Standing is not a return to old style terracing that we had at the Goldstone and Priestfield. It involves lines of 'rail seats', essentially a barrier for each row which stops crowd surges. Built into the rails are fold down seats, so that the stand can revert to all seater during concerts of European games - examples below:

View attachment 37110

View attachment 37111

Several people on this board have said it's a shame that the North stand at the AMEX is so shallow and small. Traditionally the atmosphere at football grounds has originated from a 'Kop' behind one of the goals. Safe Standing will create an atmosphere and allow those who want to be part of that to congregate in one part of the ground. It will leave a clear option for fans:

Want to stand? Go to the North
Want to sit? Go to the South, East or West

I know there's been a similar recent poll on this, but that was more geared towards whether people would move to or away from the North if it was made standing. This poll is a clear yes/no vote that can then be taken to the powers that be at the Club. If the Club see the backing it has on here they will be more inclined to welcome the Safe Standing Roadshow. Myself and a couple of others have already spoken to the SSR about getting a demo down at the AMEX on a matchday and they are prepared to do this, but we need your support first.

Why should fans who wish to sit be banished from the north stand?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Because if the majority want to stand, and there are enough seats elsewhere to accommodate those who don't, this is the reasonable course of action. Using emotive terms like 'banished' just makes your argument look a bit silly.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Why should fans who wish to stand be restricted to only 10% of the stadium?

Ridiculous argument.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This. Would love the 'no' voters to say why. Not picking a fight, just interested.

1 Presumably Palace fans can vote on this poll?
2 Some fans may wish to remain seated in North?

(I voted FOR Standing in the North BTW, even though I sit in Upper West and would have no wish to move).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports