Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ryan: "I’ll fight my way back" (or maybe I should just bugger off)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably one of the reasons that Tony is happy with GP - a decent keeper these days is north of £15m - Villa paid £20m for Martinez (who had previously only played 15 times in the EPL). I know we are transfixed by the short-term troubles, but longer term (as oft repeated) Potter is doing a great job in blooding the youngsters.

Plus there's no point spending £20m on a keeper while:-

DBD gets turned inside the opposition half.
DBD is now slightly behind and one on one with Saka
Webster & Dunk are completely mesmerised by the ball.
Gross & Bissouma allow The Cassette to gain yardage on them.

Spending £200m on ALL the keepers still isn't keeping out the goals this team is capable of conceding.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Plus there's no point spending £20m on a keeper while:-

DBD gets turned inside the opposition half.
DBD is now slightly behind and one on one with Saka
Webster & Dunk are completely mesmerised by the ball.
Gross & Bissouma allow The Cassette to gain yardage on them.

Spending £200m on ALL the keepers still isn't keeping out the goals this team is capable of conceding.

That's about the strength of it. Defence got weaker when Burn was introduced. Got weaker still when Webster was introduced. Oh, and then again when Duffy was shipped out.

Defence is a mess. Don't care who the keeper is or might be, there is very very little protection currently offered by the defenders. As a group they're flat-footed and easily exploited. This for me is marginally more of a worry than lack of goals.

Overall, we're a Championship team-in-waiting

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I bet the stormy little convict threw all his toys out of the pram too when he heard about about being dropped!

Not a very adult comment. He's worked hard at the club. The vast majority will wish him well.

Dignified exit and a loss to us. He is a good PL keeper and much needed positive and professional character.

As a top flight keeper I've never held his talents in much esteem. However, he has always been very professional and committed. I hope he finds a suitable club and one that fits his family circumstance. Playing for Oz means a lot to him an he needs regular first team football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's about the strength of it. Defence got weaker when Burn was introduced. Got weaker still when Webster was introduced. Oh, and then again when Duffy was shipped out.

Defence is a mess. Don't care who the keeper is or might be, there is very very little protection currently offered by the defenders. As a group they're flat-footed and easily exploited. This for me is marginally more of a worry than lack of goals.

Yet we conceded less goals last year than in the previous season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmm - for me yes and no.

After all the defence didn't put a foot wrong for 45 minutes (about 80 minutes total) last night

DBD just isn't a starter.
In my mind the back 3 should always have been:-

White Dunk Webster.

The squad should have 2 actual wing backs with 2 Sollyesque wing backs, ie wingers stepping back, not centre backs pushed wide and forward.

That for me is where the blame should be centred.
How that happened & how the end result has been managed - In my mind nobody comes out of that well.

v West Ham Webster was on the left of the 3
Last night Webster was on the right of the 3 - That really can't be good.

As you say the defence is a mess but I don't agree that they are flat-footed and easily exploited.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Would think he would be looking to get nearer home. Done well up until this season when the collective drop in confidence amongst the team has affected all their performances

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Has it got weaker? In Hughton's last season we conceded 60 (1.6/game) - despite playing an ultra cautious style and desperately trying to nick a 1-0 win. In Potter's first season we conceded 54 (1.4/game), despite playing a MUCH more expansive style. This season we're back up over 1.5/game, but we're actually not giving away that many chances (we have a lower xGA than any of the top 4!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When did playing at clubs become “projects” Schelloto said similar when he was shown the door.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
Balanced and fair comments from Ryan to be fair. He hasn't done an Andone or what many players might have done by throwing his toys out the pram.

Must be more to this, he suddenly missed out at Spurs when Maupay was dropped for apparent disciplinary reasons, Ryan must have been involved. And in the end Maupay wins with Ryan going?!?

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008

The goalkeeper. In the Chinese leagues, the goalkeepers MUST be Chinese. No clubs can go out and bring Peter Cech or Iker Casillas to the country for example, two players it would be natural to think would perhaps have joined the CSL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here