[Albion] Ryan: "I’ll fight my way back" (or maybe I should just bugger off)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ryan: "I’ll fight my way back" (or maybe I should just bugger off)

Maybe Romero is being brought in as backup?

I’m team Sanchez all the way. Think we’ve fallen on our feet with this guy, real talent.

Hear! Hear!

I have to say, it seems that Sanchez has made more saves this season than Ryan. The visual image of a 6ft6” monster standing between the sticks is so much more intimidating for Strikers than Ryan, he just seems to fill the goal.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is he an upgrade on who we already have?

Something and it's not just form has happened with Ryan. Doubt we'll ever know but something not right in the camp.

I'd wager the princely sum of 4 (four) pence that the goalkeeper and strikers are pretty pee'd off with each other as seemingly 1 shot on target equates to 0 points.

I can certainly see that causing friction - esp as both parties are in the wrong, but each have a valid case.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Has it got weaker? In Hughton's last season we conceded 60 (1.6/game) - despite playing an ultra cautious style and desperately trying to nick a 1-0 win. In Potter's first season we conceded 54 (1.4/game), despite playing a MUCH more expansive style. This season we're back up over 1.5/game, but we're actually not giving away that many chances (we have a lower xGA than any of the top 4!)

Sounds a good argument if only I knew what an xGA was. :(

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe Romero is being brought in as backup?

I’m team Sanchez all the way. Think we’ve fallen on our feet with this guy, real talent.

Me too. Don't want a new keeper brought in - we've got Steele on the bench, and Walton ready to go as well ................ and at the moment at least we've still got Ryan!
If we've got money to spend, there's more important things to spend it on than a GK.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Me too. Don't want a new keeper brought in - we've got Steele on the bench, and Walton ready to go as well ................ and at the moment at least we've still got Ryan!
If we've got money to spend, there's more important things to spend it on than a GK.

This, stay with Sanchez for the rest of this season, keep Ryan until summer rebuild, put the money on a striker and left back. As long as we can outscore any Sanchez howler's then we will be fine. (I can see a slight problem there).:down:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sounds a good argument if only I knew what an xGA was. :(

Expected Goals Against = the number of goals we should expect to concede, given the number and quality of chances afforded to our opponents in each game.

It's the corollary to xG (Expected Goals), which is the number of goals we should have expected to score, given the number and quality of chances we created.

Together, these can be combined to give xPoints.

This season we have significantly underperformed both xG and xGA (i.e. both our attack and defence are frequently 'slipping up') meaning we are about 10 points below our xPoints - that's why we have the constant "oh, not again" from our games...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes.

The various things I like about this are the fact he was shocked, but not offended, and that he'd prefer to stay and fight for his place in the project. Also, the honesty and the ruthlessness of the manager. And that the player is the one to break the story (no doubt with club approval) not the manager (doing a Maureen).

The fact we all seem happy with Sanchez is yet another reason why Potter . . .

Potter is shitehouse! Get Rid! Get

Apologies. My brain was momentarily taken over by the spirit of Spence, late of this parish

What did ever happen to Spence? Not like him to miss out on a good old moan up

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hear! Hear!

I have to say, it seems that Sanchez has made more saves this season than Ryan. The visual image of a 6ft6” monster standing between the sticks is so much more intimidating for Strikers than Ryan, he just seems to fill the goal.

This, stay with Sanchez for the rest of this season, keep Ryan until summer rebuild, put the money on a striker and left back. As long as we can outscore any Sanchez howler's then we will be fine. (I can see a slight problem there).:down:

Im all about giving young players the chance... but feck knows if the club could say no to Sergio Romero if he is available. Its a top class keeper and - equally important - a leader. Sanchez could learn massive stuff from training alongside Romero every day for six months. He is a game winner, not sure the club could say no to that.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Im all about giving young players the chance... but feck knows if the club could say no to Sergio Romero if he is available. Its a top class keeper and - equally important - a leader. Sanchez could learn massive stuff from training alongside Romero every day for six months. He is a game winner, not sure the club could say no to that.

Not going to deny this Swanny, but I think most peoples perception is that with not a lot of Wonga around, most would want what can be spent put into the two most glaring areas of the teams weakness. If the Club has more funds available to do more business then by all means he would be an excellent addition. They have already made clear that the squad is too big - is that just the polite way of having a clear-out, moving players that just aren't up to it off the wage bill and freeing up space for new ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not going to deny this Swanny, but I think most peoples perception is that with not a lot of Wonga around, most would want what can be spent put into the two most glaring areas of the teams weakness. If the Club has more funds available to do more business then by all means he would be an excellent addition. They have already made clear that the squad is too big - is that just the polite way of having a clear-out, moving players that just aren't up to it off the wage bill and freeing up space for new ?

Ryan & Walton out, Romero in would be reducing head count

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think Romero would be fairly cheap... they really have little need for three very good goalies. But sure, if there is a need to prioritise, I would rather have a striker.

As for moving players out... the squad is too big, it was too big in the summer and most likely it will remain too big when January is over. Like GP said in the summer, "buying players is pretty easy, selling them is a lot more difficult". We know that the club tried to ship Ali J and I would be very surprised if Bernardo wasnt offered to a bunch of clubs as well. There is a lot of average players in the squad that will never get a better contract elsewhere so having that clear-out it easier said than done.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What did ever happen to Spence? Not like him to miss out on a good old moan up

It often works like this. Chap posts occasionally and reasonably, then has some sort of existential crisis, changes his user pic to something deliberately provocative, starts posting increasingly strident and unjustified rants, then flounces and lurks, possibly brooding, but more likely recovering from his existential crisis, to reappear with occasional and reasonable posts some time later.

Or reappears almost immediately under a new user name, and with a different narrative.

Anyway, Spence, if you're out there, I hope all's well :thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It often works like this. Chap posts occasionally and reasonably, then has some sort of existential crisis, changes his user pic to something deliberately provocative, starts posting increasingly strident and unjustified rants, then flounces and lurks, possibly brooding, but more likely recovering from his existential crisis, to reappear with occasional and reasonable posts some time later.

Or reappears almost immediately under a new user name, and with a different narrative.

I suspect Spence enjoys being the sole voice of negativity against the manager. Now there’s a large anti Potter NSC contingent it doesn’t really appeal to him.

It’s a bit like the guys who enjoy being negative, and then disappear when we have a good result. But the other way around.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Spence, posting reasonably? almost everything about him, from his politics to his views about football, l took issue with.

But yes, as much as l disagreed with his opinions, he was still entitled to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports