Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rumour Bloom preparing to sell club

macky

Dec 28, 2004
So why doesn't JP just buy an established EPL club like Villa or West Ham ???

Because He likes to build things you wouldn't go out and buy a lego kit already built would you ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Packer family did (until relatively recently) have a (massive) home in Sussex. :shrug:
I was going to link the Packers and Sussex through Tony Greig.
I guess living here would be a slightly stronger connection.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I (never) knew (that).

Huge estate, near Rogate / Stedham. I think they call it Fining Hill. He (Kerry Packer) built a world class polo centre there, lived there for about 10 years, then got bored and sold it all to Abramovich. I think they sold up in about 2008. Something like that anyway.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Because He likes to build things you wouldn't go out and buy a lego kit already built would you ??

There's not much left to build off the pitch. On the pitch you could throw millions and millions at it and still not get promoted.
If we do go up there is a limit to how far we can go.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So over 100 posts now and not one of any substance! :lolol:

This rumour seens to be a bit of a cabbie/pub bore staple. Cabbie/pub bore hears or reads on NSC that Bloom might be selling, they repeat it for the next moth to anyone that's remotely interested in football and is unlucky enough to be stuck next to said cabbie/pub bore. This process repeats ad infinitum, but becomes ever so slightly more believable on each cycle because there's no smoke without fire is there?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Was in two minds whether to respond to this thread, given there is little substance to stand up the rumours on NSC, but I can't see Tony Bloom relinquishing overall control of the Albion.

We all hope that Tony will continue to dig deeper into his pockets - however it could make sense to involve another major investor, both on and off the pitch.

Blooms friends / advisers were recently elevated from non-executive Director to full Director status, partly to strengthen the Albion's corporate governance (for a variety of good business and accounting reasons). This may just be the natural evolution process at the Club but would conveniently ensure Tony has overwhelming support in the Boardroom, which would be useful should another investor come on board.

Just before the season started I did hear from a well respected sports journalist from a national broadsheet that he understood a significant board room reshuffle was underway at a South coast club - he was very discrete as to which Club. At that time I presumed he was talking about the turmoil at one of our neighbours, but now I'm not so sure!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Wouldn't be surprised if there is something in this, going by the lack of investment in the playing squad.

Lack of investment in the playing squad doesn't really strengthen his hand if he wants to sell up, in fact it weakens it.

However when Bloom stepped in to save the Amex project, he did say that he wanted the club to be self sufficient, I believe the money he has invested in the club is to be repaid by 2023? Or he will turn any remaining debt into shares, is that correct?

I don't think Bloom or anyone else for that matter imagined the Amex would be losing staggering amounts of money, the way it has over the first 3 complete seasons, and I don't imagine when Bloom made that statement he imagined turning ALL £93 million into shares whilst handing out a further 5-10 million pounds every year to create a competitive team and bankrole a stadium which is failing to support itself.

It won't be every year that the football club will have £15m pounds worth of players that it can sell, so who can blame Bloom if he has thought he could claw back some of the debt this season.

Let's say, purely hypothetically, that he has reclaimed £10m of this seasons player sales, that still leaves £83 million of the original stadium costs outstanding and only 9 years left to get it, or turn it into shares.

I could be totally wide of the mark but if I was in Blooms shoes, I would want as little of that original debt being turned into shares as possible. So this may have more to do with the lack of squad strengthening than any sale of the club.

I am also sure that if anyone like James Packer wanted to step in and help out, this would indeed be welcomed.

Some of you may be thinking that getting to the Premier League will wipe the slate clean on its own, maybe it will, but how much more money does Bloom want to lose trying to get there, and with the introduction of ffp, getting there is no longer about chucking money at it, I hope ffp dies a horrible death, because if not, the only clubs that can probably look at promotion from the championship are those that have the added benefit of parachute payments.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well it's rounded but if you take building the Amex, training facility and sum of all the annual losses it isn't far off.

What would your number be?

My reference to crazy was about any assumption that TB has invested a fifth of a billion pounds out of his own pocket in our football club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So over 100 posts now and not one of any substance! :lolol:

This rumour seens to be a bit of a cabbie/pub bore staple. Cabbie/pub bore hears or reads on NSC that Bloom might be selling, they repeat it for the next moth to anyone that's remotely interested in football and is unlucky enough to be stuck next to said cabbie/pub bore. This process repeats ad infinitum, but becomes ever so slightly more believable on each cycle because there's no smoke without fire is there?

We could talk about the next player who isn't going to come here :shrug:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
My reference to crazy was about any assumption that TB has invested a fifth of a billion pounds out of his own pocket in our football club.

Fair enough, poor choice of words by me maybe. It may well not be all of his but the point still holds good I believe

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011

Hey symyjym, Could i get your avatar please to send to my mate, I've tried searching the web, but
every time i search for chimp and Brighton I get a picture of Gus poyet!..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here