Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby World Cup rip off - food & drink prices to increase

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Don't seem to be as many on the tout sites today for the amex games so sadly it would appear people are paying the ridiculous prices

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Some of those snobby egg chasing fans are Albion fans as well. I somehow don't think they look down on football fans and are certainly not snobby.

By the way, have you ever been to a rugby match and spoken to any fans? Your image of snobby, yah-hoo rugger buggers went out with the ark. :annoyed:

I don't agree. Frankly, if you behaved the way they do on the pitch in (say) Queens Road you'd soon be arrested. I'm afraid the whole thing leaves me cold - stop start stop start and so on. What no-one ever mentions are the number of people with permanent injuries as result of playing rugby - concussion being one of the least.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's because there is a large number of scumbags / entrepreneurs (take your pick) who routinely apply for whatever tickets they can when scare tickets are put on sale - the same will be happening as I write for the Muse arena tour sale that started at 9am. One can only hope they get their fingers burnt and are left with some of them and take a loss.

Yep, Muse tickets sell out stupidly quickly. :(

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I don't agree. Frankly, if you behaved the way they do on the pitch in (say) Queens Road you'd soon be arrested. I'm afraid the whole thing leaves me cold - stop start stop start and so on. What no-one ever mentions are the number of people with permanent injuries as result of playing rugby - concussion being one of the least.
No one is forced to play rugby, they can walk away from the sport anytime they like.
Having played rugby at quite a high level, yes injuries are part and parcel of the game, but I've seen many more nasty broken bones on football pitches than I have on a rugby pitch.
The powers that be are constantly monitoring the rules of the game to make it as safe as possible, and the scrum is just about as safe as it has ever been.
I retired 6 years ago aged 34 through injury funnily enough, but I've just started playing again and yeah I ache like hell the next day but it's still great fun, and like I said no one is forcing me to play.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have only read the first two pages so apologies if fixtures, however that article is just sensationalism. A quid on top of a pint is probably only going to add an extra fuver on the the day out but they are making it out that it is the big difference in the price. However when you look at their breakdown the over £100 difference is £93 tickets and programmes which (I would assume) is set by the rugby association (RFU??) organising the event.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I have only read the first two pages so apologies if fixtures, however that article is just sensationalism. A quid on top of a pint is probably only going to add an extra fuver on the the day out but they are making it out that it is the big difference in the price. However when you look at their breakdown the over £100 difference is £93 tickets and programmes which (I would assume) is set by the rugby association (RFU??) organising the event.

Definitely this. Programmes are a tenner each at every ground, nothing to do with the venues at all. Same with the branded radios that are for some reason considered important.
I've seen it broken down that pies and pints are a fiver each this weekend, if that's what has been set based on getting different stock in for a one off event then so be it. I'm sure using regular suppliers and brands would've resulted in lower increase or prices remaining the same.

I've never seen a tournament be such a gigantic rip off from beginning to end. A big shame for those of us who can remember the reasonable pricing of the 91 and 99 World Cups here.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You could say that about any sport. Anyway, people are always talking about injuries sustained playing rugby (just like any sport); however, any rugby player will tell you that it's an acceptable risk from taking so much enjoyment from playing the game for 20-30 years.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
I've never seen a tournament be such a gigantic rip off from beginning to end. A big shame for those of us who can remember the reasonable pricing of the 91 and 99 World Cups here.

Sorry that is a bollox argument. Comparing the prices of something 24 years ago doesn't wash with me I am afraid. I got tickets for 4 games at the world cup (one through the initial ballot and the other 3 matches by checking the website whenever they emailed to inform of ticket releases) and the highest price one is £20. For a world cup event, that seems exceptionally reasonable.

Would you be happy to sell me your house for the same price it was worth 24 years ago?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm afraid that this is a metaphor for life in general, we are all ripped off to some degree, it just depends on how much profit people want to make.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

...and if someone punched someone for 15 x3 minutes, known as boxing, down Queens Road they would be arrested...what point are you trying to make? So using your argument, if you can call it that, is the defender who broke shaws leg , and could possibly have finished his career should be arrested?

el punal

I was talking about rugby fans not the players. Yes, rugby can be brutal, violent even, but at least that's left on the pitch at the end of the game. Mind you it would be interesting if a ruck (the rugby kind) or a maul took place in Queens Road!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
IFrankly, if you behaved the way they do on the pitch in (say) Queens Road you'd soon be arrested.

If a man was in the queue for a checkout and put his basket on the floor, only for you to slide in, taking the basket and his feet at the same time, you would probably be arrested. Yet these vicious slide tackles take place on a football pitch.....

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The low category tickets are good value- I'm in the South stand for the game at the Amex on Sunday and paid £15. Less than half what you would pay for an Albion 'Cat A' game.

Beer and food- in the Fanzone yesterday beers were £5 and food options (burgers etc) were also £5. Guessing Amex prices will be similar. It will be interesting to see if they balls it up as badly as they do for most Albion games (running out of beer etc), and I am looking forward to buying a beer and taking it to my seat.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
I am going on Sunday with my son.
His ticket cost £7 for west stand upper.
I wish I could be ripped off every week like this to get my son into watching a world sporting event!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here