Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wales let them back in it after being 10/0 up

I’m taking either Argent8na or Fiji to get through on the basis of one under dog to make it

I’m fancying the AB to win even though the bookies have Ireland as favs

Prefer Ireland
It’s been a profitable day at the bookies ….pity as I wanted the Irish to win the Cup

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Really struggled with Barnes reffing in that game. In the first half the Irish prop just walking into the side of the ruck picking the ball up and Ireland running 40 metres up field changed the flow of the late first half. Then Ireland on the Allblacks tryline in the second half, Savea over the ball, everyone expecting an Allblacks penalty and he penalises Whitelock for not rolling away who has rolled miles off. That leads to second binning from the lineout. Will review later and see if I had goggles on, but was hard to enjoy live as he just had such a big influence.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sexton looks devastated

Very professional performance from All Blacks, Ireland had their chance with the second sinbin

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sexton looks devastated

Very professional performance from All Blacks, Ireland had their chance with the second sinbin
If that had been England defending against Ireland, there would have been several penalties and yellow cards. Credit to the All Blacks for not conceding.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Also what was up with Irish scrummaging. In theory they should have had an advantage but they kept doing daft things. Driving up, dropping elbow and burrowing in really obviously, screwing. I couldn't believe them just walking the scrum around when we were a man down and getting penalised ... like what were they trying to do? I was expecting to get destroyed there and it was an absolute gift.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The standard of that game was absolutely insane. However, we find ourselves with our dreadful England side as the last home nation standing. Quite amusing really.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Also what was up with Irish scrummaging. In theory they should have had an advantage but they kept doing daft things. Driving up, dropping elbow and burrowing in really obviously, screwing. I couldn't believe them just walking the scrum around when we were a man down and getting penalised ... like what were they trying to do? I was expecting to get destroyed there and it was an absolute gift.
There may have been an element of New Zealand "helping" him to burrow in, playing the ref.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Has not worked out well . First Wales not taking there chance with easy draw. Poor England side another with easier draw tomorrow Very tough on our best home nations side to get NZ at this stage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great game. Ireland played more of the rugby imo, but NZ were clinical with their opportunities and defended on another level.

Wayne Barnes is a proper "look at me" ref though. What a nob.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Absolutely heartbreaking for Ireland. They were so un-Irish in that first twenty minutes but had the opportunities.

It really is a shame. The absurdity of the draw conspired against them (I read it's changing to one year out next time) and they just didn't get the breaks.

This was an Ireland team good enough to win the tournament. Really sad for them.

So to England the undeserving. It's been a wonderful day of rugby though.

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Great game. Ireland played more of the rugby imo, but NZ were clinical with their opportunities and defended on another level.

Wayne Barnes is a proper "look at me" ref though. What a nob.
I thought he had an excellent game. He did not allow the dodgy Irish scrum which has got away with similar for a while, he penalised nz with two yellows and penalty try when deserved and generally managed the game well.

I still can’t compute how the all black held someone up from that rolling maul. Just incredible.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
I thought he had an excellent game. He did not allow the dodgy Irish scrum which has got away with similar for a while, he penalised nz with two yellows and penalty try when deserved and generally managed the game well.

I still can’t compute how the all black held someone up from that rolling maul. Just incredible.
Agree thought Wayne Barnes had a good game. The Irish didn’t take their chances

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Has not worked out well . First Wales not taking there chance with easy draw. Poor England side another with easier draw tomorrow Very tough on our best home nations side to get NZ at this stage.
England bus outside the team hotel today in Aix-en-Provence. Pretty impressive I’d say, the last home nations bus still needed 😆!

20231014_172806.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England bus outside the team hotel today in Aix-en-Provence. Pretty impressive I’d say, the last home nations bus still needed 😆!

View attachment 168084
Ah, yes. I forgot our Pete was on an extended jolly over there. Have you got tickets for France v New Zealand, sorry, I meant the final ? (same thing)

Keep the pictures coming.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Ah, yes. I forgot our Pete was on an extended jolly over there. Have you got tickets for France v New Zealand, sorry, I meant the final ? (same thing)

Keep the pictures coming.
Yes, I do have final tickets. Whether I’ll want to go to the final depends a bit on what happens over the next week or two!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really, really wanted Ireland to win and the fact it was an absolutely fantastic game (those 30-odd phases at the end!) is of little consolation. Even though NZ always had their noses in front I felt Ireland could do it. Weirdly, despite not being Irish, I feel as deflated this morning as I did when England lost to France in the football WC last year.

Ah well, England today. Hopefully I'll have worked up some enthusiasm before kick-off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England have had a favourable draw but they will still have to beat two top nations to win the World Cup. To do that they will need the players as rested as possible, so could do with a fast start today and subbing the A list off before the last third of the match.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I also thought Barnes was excellent, although maybe he penalised the Irish a bit too much in the scrums when it might have been NZ deliberately encouraging the wheel?
Edit: I would add that I have never played rugby so what actually happens in the scrum is a mystery to me but it did seem like NZ were getting outmuscled and were retreating very fast on one side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here