Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Rugby Union World Cup kicks off this Friday with what looks like an absolute belter between heavyweights France and New Zealand in what could be a dress rehearsal for the final. Let's hope the Mighty All Black's absolutely hammer the French.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Off to Lyon and Lille for this. First game up is NZ Italy which I'm really looking forward to. Then down to Lille for Scotland Romania which is more for the pissup in Lille than anything else.

Glad I didn't get England tickets. Thankfully we have an easy group but I can't see us getting past the quarters unless Borthwick pulls a bear out of the hat.

Reactions: Vin

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England's build-up has been lamentable, whilst Borthwick is arguably the worst England coach of the professional era.

If England win the tournament it would be even more remarkable than Denmark picking themselves up off the beach and winning Euros '92.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really looking forward to this. I can support just about any country that play good rugby, other than South Africa, Wales and Australia :smile:

I expect nothing but frustration and inevitable cluelessness from England, I am ready for it.

Once we’re knocked out I’ll be backing France but always enjoy watching New Zealand too.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
England's build-up has been lamentable, whilst Borthwick is arguably the worst England coach of the professional era.

If England win the tournament it would be even more remarkable than Denmark picking themselves up off the beach and winning Euros '92.
I have tickets for every England game - offers? 😆

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Really looking forward to this. I can support just about any country that play good rugby, other than South Africa, Wales and Australia :smile:

I expect nothing but frustration and inevitable cluelessness from England, I am ready for it.

Once we’re knocked out I’ll be backing France but always enjoy watching New Zealand too.
NZ are the people champions, one their own nation is out everyone will be cheering on the mighty All Blacks.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Off to Lyon and Lille for this. First game up is NZ Italy which I'm really looking forward to. Then down to Lille for Scotland Romania which is more for the pissup in Lille than anything else.

Glad I didn't get England tickets. Thankfully we have an easy group but I can't see us getting past the quarters unless Borthwick pulls a bear out of the hat.
You are probably right about England, though I do remember being at the Stade de France to see us lose 36-0 to the Saffers in 2007 and then a few weeks later we were in the final. I agree it’s very unlikely that this will happen again, apart from the 0-36 bit, but it’s not impossible for us to fluke our way into a semi final given the draw we have.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Same for me, but instead of your New Zealand I'll be supporting Ireland. (And yes I know they wouldn't reciprocate, but I don't care.)

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
You are probably right about England, though I do remember being at the Stade de France to see us lose 36-0 to the Saffers in 2007 and then a few weeks later we were in the final. I agree it’s very unlikely that this will happen again, apart from the 0-36 bit, but it’s not impossible for us to fluke our way into a semi final given the draw we have.
Definitely be a positive if we make the semis. Don’t think SB is a bad bloke by any stretch and if we get a good run it’ll take the pressure of him immensely.

Can’t see anyone other than SA winning it though.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Definitely be a positive if we make the semis. Don’t think SB is a bad bloke by any stretch and if we get a good run it’ll take the pressure of him immensely.

I was kicked out of my hotel near Marseilles as the Saffers are using it as a base camp. So I know where to direct the dodgy lasagne if needs be ……!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

The only hiccup I can see SA having, they have a tough group then 1/4 final vs NZ or France. That could takes its toll.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
NZ are the people champions, one their own nation is out everyone will be cheering on the mighty All Blacks.
Are they?

All the rugby people I know can't stand them after all the favouritism they've received from the officials/authority especially during the Lions tours.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Are they?

All the rugby people I know can't stand them after all the favouritism they've received from the officials/authority especially during the Lions tours
Yes, they are the Brazil of Rugby Union, adored for their style of play, and entertainment value. The Haka is worth the admission price alone.
Are they?

All the rugby people I know can't stand them after all the favouritism they've received from the officials/authority especially during the Lions tours.
See above.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Heads up first game tonight and it should be an absolute belter. Will watch the first half and then record the 2nd half. Come on the All Black's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was going to have a tenner on France to win the cup but at 3-1, I don't think I'll bother. I'm certainly not backing Wales as I'm not sure we'll get through the group.

Looking forward to the competition though: there are four sides who can genuinely win it: NZ, SA, Ireland and France - and it's not often that there are that many strong teams.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When you think of our best teams from the late 80’s through to 2007 ( god knows how we made that final) we only won it once so it’s so tough to be victorious. 4 teams can win it and I am not including Australia. That All Black battering at the hands of the Boks recently was interesting though it might affect them.

France will take some beating and I’m curious as to whether they can meet Ireland in the final.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Bonjour fans de mouettes!

I arrived in Marseille at lunch time. First thing I asked the cabbie was about OM and the Europa group. He was pretty clued up about us and thinks we will go through with Ajax.

Was rather a “I’m dreaming” moment to be discussing this to be honest…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here