Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As Bryan Habana just said there - Wayne Barnes et al had a great game as officials tonight.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Points difference in the New Zealand v Argentina semi final = 38
Points difference in all the other 7 matches at the business end = 28

It was a very enjoyable tournament. Having watched a lot of the group matches and every one since then, I feel quite tired !

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As Bryan Habana just said there - Wayne Barnes et al had a great game as officials tonight.
The officials had a superb game except for one decision near the end when SA illegally stripped the ball at the breakdown and should have been penalised. SA should have lost to France but were saved by the officials, should have lost to NZ but were saved by the officials and would have lost to England if a 50-50 scrum penalty had gone the other way.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A really great game.

Despite being down to 14 men, I come away from it thinking that the ABs threw it away. They missed the conversion and the late penalty, both of which I thought would have been routinely got. They also turned down the chance at kickable penalties three times in the second half.

On the cards, I thought Cane’s was an absolutely nailed on red. Exactly the sort of thing World Cup are trying to get out of the game. Kolisi’s one was the correct call too, IMO. His tackle technique was at least better (he was dipped at the hip) and the majority of the contact was through the shoulder, rather than direct to the head.

I was really surprised by the line speed and ferocity of the South Africans at the breakdown because they look absolutely shattered in that regard against England. I really thought NZ’s less physically demanding semi-final would have given them an advantage.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Barnes also admitted an incorrect penalty call against Savea in the first half but still allowed SA to go ahead and kick the penalty. IMO it's a tainted World Cup with the wrong team winning. Still, at least they didn't poison the opponents this time around.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Should have been 2 red cards.

ABs have been getting away with stuff like that for decades.

They didn't deserve to win after that.
Baloney

Best team in the final and tournament lost. Was a magnificent effort with 14 men. Bad result for rugby and the world.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Baloney

Best team in the final and tournament lost. Was a magnificent effort with 14 men. Bad result for rugby and the world.
So what did you think about the two incidents which should have been red, one of which meant the SA hooker had to go off and I assume will be out for months?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well the World Cup might be over but the international rugby keeps on coming with the culmination of what has been a quite superb test series between England and Tonga. England according to coach Shaun Wane are hell bent on a hugely impressive clean sweep. Pubs and clubs across the land will be roaring the boys on and firmly putting the Union heartbreak behind us.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/67276014

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
That League nonsense has no place in this thread!
I do tend to agree. I keep being told what a great game rugby league is but just can’t get into it. I love most sports, with football/cricket/rugby union being my big 3, but never really got into league.

I went once to a World Cup final at Wembley about 30 years ago, England v Australia. Not a bad day out to be fair, though my main memory was of a guy in the seats in front of me in a Featherstone Rovers top deciding a short walk to the facilities was too much trouble and just stood up and had a piss there and then in his seat! Luckily I was sat the row behind, not in front of, him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here