[News] Royal Mail what next?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is that like a physical law or something...?
Obviously, yes. Without us there wouldn’t be any money to pay wages. When people start using phrases like ‘scab’ to describe their work colleagues and start telling people whether they are entitled to an opinion on the thread then I am happy to give the reminder of who actually counts in all of this.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
But not together on the picket line on Christmas Eve - principles only go so far!
You are clearly breaking the strike. I won’t bother commenting on your posts. I hope you can sleep
Well At night knowing some people are going to food banks for their principals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Obviously, yes. Without us there wouldn’t be any money to pay wages. When people start using phrases like ‘scab’ to describe their work colleagues and start telling people whether they are entitled to an opinion on the thread then I am happy to give the reminder of who actually counts in all of this.
But without them there wouldn't be any service to pay for...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In very simple terms why should a few people earn millions/thousands off the back of the every day worker who slogs it out in all weathers daily for crap pay ?

Be honest.
That’s the same in just about every business in every country in the world apart from North Korea. Sounds like your issue is with capitalism and you can’t change that by going on strike. I’m afraid what you are doing is unwinnable and abusing people who disagree won’t change a thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are clearly breaking the strike. I won’t bother commenting on your posts. I hope you can sleep
Well At night knowing some people are going to food banks for their principals.
This right here is the problem with the union membership.

Straight in with insults.
Then cornered so finally asks a relevant question.
Doesn't like the answers.
Refuses to talk.

I pity the CWU more than I do management.

I take it from that reply you also decided the picket line didn't need you on Christmas Eve.
I take it you also won't say just how much time you took off during COVID - even though the CWU are putting their membership on a pedestal for 'working right through the crisis'.

I'll say again the CWU is correct in their response to management clearly taking the wee-wee.

Management either want this strike action or were to stupid to realise they were inviting it - neither option works out well for the rank and file.

But it's a rank and file so stagnant and buried in the past they almost deserve each other.

Last edited:

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
C0155A04-27E0-4F89-A50B-E27ABA8E7557.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They're ok.
Many striking posties were able to hold the moral high ground which they've to used to intimidate working posties, while working Sunday overtime to supplement the wages they lost by striking in protest about the prospect of working Sunday's.
When you've finished with your copy of today's Daily Star, can I have a butcher's?

I'm in no hurry, so you can post it. :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As with a lot of privatisations, it is the execution of it rather than the principle that has gone badly. As others have alluded to, Royal Mail has been REALLY slow to adapt to the diminishing letters market (c20billion to c8 billion in the past 5 years, near enough). That change has been on the agenda since way before privitisation, so both the ‘old’ and ‘new’ management are guilty of not pivoting the business fast enough to respond to a core part of the business which was always going to be decimated by e-substitution.
Exactly like communism, then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once retailers start giving customers a choice of delivery company I think it will be all over for Royal Mail. It’s an unreliable, anachronistic and inflexible service. Biggest bugbear at the moment, apart from unreliability from strikes is their refusal to leave packages in a safe place despite offering the service on their app. All other companies do it. Our usual postman will do it unofficially but the strikes have messed with the schedules so he can’t guarantee it. We have started cancelling online deliveries when we discover they are the delivery company.
Not round our way. Left on a doorstep, even in the rain. Sometimes things left with a neighbour, but no pattern to show Royal Mail to be an outlier or consistently different from all the other delivery bods.

Our local post office is always heaving when I go in there. People sending parcels....collecting benefits....applying for passports....the post office does a lot more than deliver post.

That said, it is an absolute ruin of a place, here. The retail side (boxes, sellotape, envelopes) has gone completely. The staff behind the counter are few and far between and the place has a whiff of the early 1980s Czechoslovakia about it.

Did someone say it has (already) been privatized? Who was it sold to, Poundland? Looks like it is being run down like the NHS so it can be flogged off without any complaints from Sid and Doris Bonkers.

In a similar theme, I had a conversation with some folk recently, one of whom works in the NHS, about the state of the NHS. They were all moaning on and on and on, as I sat and listened. When I eventually suggested it is being run down deliberately so the public will embrace its privatization, I got the full tumbleweed response from them. But they are all Mail and Star readers.....

Just as we do with our governments, we appear to be getting the goods and (public) services we deserve. Sadly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not round our way. Left on a doorstep, even in the rain. Sometimes things left with a neighbour, but no pattern to show Royal Mail to be an outlier or consistently different from all the other delivery bods.

Our local post office is always heaving when I go in there. People sending parcels....collecting benefits....applying for passports....the post office does a lot more than deliver post.

That said, it is an absolute ruin of a place, here. The retail side (boxes, sellotape, envelopes) has gone completely. The staff behind the counter are few and far between and the place has a whiff of the early 1980s Czechoslovakia about it.

Did someone say it has (already) been privatized? Who was it sold to, Poundland? Looks like it is being run down like the NHS so it can be flogged off without any complaints from Sid and Doris Bonkers.

In a similar theme, I had a conversation with some folk recently, one of whom works in the NHS, about the state of the NHS. They were all moaning on and on and on, as I sat and listened. When I eventually suggested it is being run down deliberately so the public will embrace its privatization, I got the full tumbleweed response from them. But they are all Mail and Star readers.....

Just as we do with our governments, we appear to be getting the goods and (public) services we deserve. Sadly.
The Royal Mail was privatized in 2013.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

But the Royal Mail isn't the Post Office as I was reminded when I toddled in to my Post Office to swap the stamps they sold me for bar code stamps. They told me to use them myself or drive a couple of miles to a Royal Mail office to swap them there. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports