Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Mail what next?

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Adapt or die
Book by Charles Handy
With the evolution of business you can't carry on doing the same for ever, so adapt or die.
Problem is most union's think change doesn't enhance their members unless it comes with a wedge of cash as a sweetener.
Posties were initially after a pay rise something near inflation, not much to ask for I think. They are affectively been offered 7% over a period of time. But RM are trying to bypass the unions and impose lots of other measures on normal working people without giving a care to them but paying shareholders millions and management incredible bonuses. Where does the buck stop ?

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Probably the kind of question you should have been asking before telling people I know nothing and am lying.
Tell us a bit more on what you think about the situation rather than snide digs at the union and supporting scab workers. Your obviously crossing the picket line by your answers 🤦🏻

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Again you are a bit of a tit. The union looks after the workers. Royal Mail made record profits last year and now they say they are Losing £1 million a day ! How does that work unless it’s gross mismanagement ? And they paid the SEO for this a massive bonus ! You aren’t don’t have the knowledge to reply on this thread.

The only bit I’m able to comment on with any knowledge is that the business IS currently losing on average £1m a day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Almost as negligent as leaving elastic bands all over the bloody place !!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tell us a bit more on what you think about the situation rather than snide digs at the union and supporting scab workers. Your obviously crossing the picket line by your answers 🤦🏻
Nothing snide about it
I think the union is correct and every utterance they've made is correct, right up until the moment they put their membership on a pedestal.

The only thing the members want to do is return to "the good old days", with no understanding of change.
All the while being so two faced to accept Sunday OT to cover their lost money for protesting about working Sunday's.

The CWU is right - they just deserve better members.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Again you are a bit of a tit. The union looks after the workers. Royal Mail made record profits last year and now they say they are Losing £1 million a day ! How does that work unless it’s gross mismanagement ? And they paid the SEO for this a massive bonus ! You aren’t don’t have the knowledge to reply on this thread.
We are customers. Our opinions are the most important on the thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only bit I’m able to comment on with any knowledge is that the business IS currently losing on average £1m a day.
Which could be covered by the bonuses paid to the top brass.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Which could be covered by the bonuses paid to the top brass.
I understand exactly where you’re coming from on that (thankfully I’m not THAT high up that bonuses come into my life at all), but the state of the finances currently wouldn’t be materially different if bonuses hadn’t been paid out to the CEO.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
I understand exactly where you’re coming from on that (thankfully I’m not THAT high up that bonuses come into my life at all), but the state of the finances currently wouldn’t be materially different if bonuses hadn’t been paid out to the CEO.
What about shareholders ?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Losing money has got nothing to do with the workers and everything to do with the failure of privitisation. Why should your postie take a real terms pay cut to deliver your post? Take it back into state ownership and pay the workers a decent wage in line with inflation

This government want to see a deliveroo / gig style economy where people at the top suck out all the value and profit and the workers are expendable and do the job for a pittance and take all the risk.

How come they can make it work fine in other European countries? This is what they mean by smaller state / lower tax economy i.e. less regulation, more neo-liberal way where it becomes for the benefit of a small few at the top and the worker and consumer pay more and get less

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Nothing snide about it
I think the union is correct and every utterance they've made is correct, right up until the moment they put their membership on a pedestal.

The only thing the members want to do is return to "the good old days", with no understanding of change.
All the while being so two faced to accept Sunday OT to cover their lost money for protesting about working Sunday's.

The CWU is right - they just deserve better members.
Nobody’s being put on a pedestal. We were asked to vote on strike action, we did and it was about 97% I believe. So we are striking for our very futures. Nothing wrong with that. It sounds to me like you are breaking the strike and are getting shit for it. I do
Understand why ‘some’ people are breaking the strike but I work with many that could afford to strike at least 1 day out of a 2 day strike but choose not to and still go on the piss at the works Christmas party etc. No principals. I have to be an example to my children growing up that we must stand up to this type of corporate bullying. It’s tough times but we must stand together.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
HOW ?! What’s changed in the last 6 months ?
If you look at the breakdown of the results released in November for the period April-September ‘22, I’d agree with you that on the surface there’s nothing that would suggest a dramatic turnaround like that. Again, all I can comment from is my knowledge of the current situation. If you compare the half year results released to the previous financial year, I’d basically summarise it as saying the RM pandemic gravy train is over. Parcel volumes down c15% compared to the pandemic and also the loss of revenue from the demand for COVID test kits essentially disappearing.

As I said earlier in the thread, what we’re currently seeing is quite a lot of high value parcel traffic being switched away to other carriers - to not much benefit to those customers it has to be said, if you look at Evri’s performance over Christmas. The medium term risk is that those other carriers will improve their networks to be able to easier handle those higher volumes, I.e. that business won’t by default return to RM if/when the IA dispute gets resolved.

I’m not going to get involved in commenting specifically on the terms and conditions changes that are currently the source of the dispute. That’s because I don’t have enough in-depth knowledge of the current set up to do so. All I’ll say is that I truly believe there is a really successful business in there somewhere and that the sooner an agreement that comes close to suiting all parties is put in place then the better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody’s being put on a pedestal. We were asked to vote on strike action, we did and it was about 97% I believe. So we are striking for our very futures. Nothing wrong with that. It sounds to me like you are breaking the strike and are getting shit for it. I do
Understand why ‘some’ people are breaking the strike but I work with many that could afford to strike at least 1 day out of a 2 day strike but choose not to and still go on the piss at the works Christmas party etc. No principals. I have to be an example to my children growing up that we must stand up to this type of corporate bullying. It’s tough times but we must stand together.
But not together on the picket line on Christmas Eve - principles only go so far!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here