Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Look at those higher rated managers which you clearly would prefer, like Sven or Capello.

Managers who took unfit players, or could have selected the best possible available players (like Kevin Phillips, who had won the PL Golden Boot) but chose to take a youngster with about 5 minutes experience in the league instead and never play him. Rashford played during the Wales game so has been take to the Euros and used.

We arn't sitting back and hoping for a draw but pushing forward to try to win the games. It's difficult to break down a team that has all 11 behind the ball (as we saw many a time last season when Brighton tried and failed)

BTW - the last team to rest 5 or more players for a group match? - Spain at Euro 2008, how did it work out for them? (hint they finished higher than 2nd)

Kane is the PL golden boot winner, Vardy scored a hatful too in the league last season. Do you seriously think that a national manager has to teach them how to put the ball into the net?

Sorry but he's playing the percentages. Russia are an AWFUL team. Kane - the PL golden boot winner - took corners, looked jaded and didn't get a single touch in the box. The chances didn't fall to him. They fell to Sterling and Lallana. Then, when we did finally score what did we do? Shut up shop and hope for the one-nil win. How did THAT work out?

We get caught by a sucker punch in game two that was so obvious that half the fans at the big screen on the beach predicted a Bale free kick would go in. Finally we took a risk in reply and what happened? A win and our best 45 minutes of football.

Did we learn from that? No - we changed the fullbacks who'd been among our most creative players and didn't even give Rashford 5 minutes up front with Kane. Percentages, percentages, percentages. We'll go out in one of the next two rounds.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Depends if he has to be English. If he does we might as well stick with Roy.

You only have to look at the leaps and bounds that our cricket and rugby union teams have come on by replacing a very average Englishman with knowledgeable, risk taking Aussies. Should we limit ourselves as such should he leave at the end of the tournament?

I couldn't tell you one English manager better than Roy but I could fill the page with better foreign ones. You know the names but I doubt anything would tempt them away from club management, which is a shame.

We are stuck with Roy or someone equally as uninspiring. To be honest I doubt I'll even watch the World Cups in Russia and Qatar so my main frustration is that we're stuck with Mr Average in the last decent tournament I'll watch for 4 years.

Funny, because i think Roy is doing a decent job.

He inherited a team with a lot of aging players who were getting past their prime, he had the choice, stick with the tried and tested (and repeatedly failed) old guard, or try to rebuild and start anew with a much younger group and build for the future? we have one of the youngest if not the youngest squad in the competition. (a higher profile manager may have been more selfish and looked at the short term and their own glory rather than long term (like Roy has done) for the benefit of the team for years to come)

We have weaknesses, yes. But that's hardly surprising when the available choices for him to pick from are lacking in certain areas (a bit weak in central defence) but look elsewhere for the explanation rather than blame someone who has no control in how English players are brought through and developed at their own league clubs (a place where most clubs will rather buy foreign imports than show patience and develop their own talent, and if they do, they arn't necessarily English players due to clubs scouring the World looking for youngsters with potential)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
we changed the fullbacks who'd been among our most creative players

While that's true, Clyne was probably our best player last night so I don't think that was a terrible move - in fact, it demonstrated that we have real options there.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry but he's playing the percentages. Russia are an AWFUL team. Kane - the PL golden boot winner - took corners, looked jaded and didn't get a single touch in the box. The chances didn't fall to him. They fell to Sterling and Lallana. Then, when we did finally score what did we do? Shut up shop and hope for the one-nil win. How did THAT work out?

We get caught by a sucker punch in game two that was so obvious that half the fans at the big screen on the beach predicted a Bale free kick would go in. Finally we took a risk in reply and what happened? A win and our best 45 minutes of football.

Did we learn from that? No - we changed the fullbacks who'd been among our most creative players and didn't even give Rashford 5 minutes up front with Kane. Percentages, percentages, percentages. We'll go out in one of the next two rounds.

Surprised you don't know how games of football work by now. A team that leads isn't going to be cavalier in pursuit of another goal, and teams that are losing arn't going to accept it and defend for the rest of the game to keep the score down but rather push for an equaliser.

Watching any team across the globe and you will see the same thing.

Kane looks jaded after a long PL season? and yet you want Roy to stick with the same starting line up and not to rest players when the opportunity exists (like against Slovakia) because you think that they should still be able to play 3 games in a week after that long season because they are pofessionals

We were caught by a sucker punch, that doesn't make our team or performance poor. for instance, were we poor against Sheffield Wednesday at home in the 2nd leg of the play-offs because we got sucker punched their for their 1st half goal after dominating the game?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
While that's true, Clyne was probably our best player last night so I don't think that was a terrible move - in fact, it demonstrated that we have real options there.

Agreed, Clyne especially was unlucky not to be the automatic 1st choice imo, and all the replacements were more than capable replacements which didn't weaken us dramatically and we were more than capable of winning that game with he team we put out

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't think Kane won the PL golden boot for his corner taking abilities tho eh? How on earth can that be passed off as anything other than a senior moment by the manager?

Thierry Henry took corners for Arsenal. Was that a senior moment by the Arsenal manager or a tactical decision?

So if Kane is the best corner taker we have, and we have adequate players in the box to make up for the loss of Kane in there, then why not?

Fans don't always know best when it comes to tactics, they like to think they do. Many a time fans get annoyed when we dropped everyone back deep into the penalty area to defend a set piece and don't leave anyone up (but prevent the opposition from scoring) the fans demanded someone went up the pitch, so they caved in and moved someone up and we ended up conceding from the set piece

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Surprised you don't know how games of football work by now. A team that leads isn't going to be cavalier in pursuit of another goal, and teams that are losing arn't going to accept it and defend for the rest of the game to keep the score down but rather push for an equaliser.

Watching any team across the globe and you will see the same thing.

What a load of patronising bollocks. Did you miss our games against Fulham and QPR at home? Let's have a think about the Wales score last night shall we?

Kane looks jaded after a long PL season? and yet you want Roy to stick with the same starting line up and not to rest players when the opportunity exists (like against Slovakia) because you think that they should still be able to play 3 games in a week after that long season because they are pofessionals

Now you're just picking and choosing stuff to suit your argument that contradicts your earlier posts. I called for Rashford to be involved. You're the one saying Mr Golden Boot should be playing. I actually think that with the talent we have up front that a 4-4-2 would suit as an alternative. Mix it up a bit - when we did we scored 2 against Wales.

We were caught by a sucker punch, that doesn't make our team or performance poor. for instance, were we poor against Sheffield Wednesday at home in the 2nd leg of the play-offs because we got sucker punched their for their 1st half goal after dominating the game?

I didn't say our performance was poor either. I said it was average. You're using your own words instead of mine. That's why I used the analogies that I did. Would you rather pass an exam or smash it out of the park? Arrive in comfort and safety with your family or slide your sports car in sideways and start in on the coke and hookers. Your choice. What I've seen just lacks ambition. It's like watching his West Brom side.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What a load of patronising bollocks. Did you miss our games against Fulham and QPR at home? Let's have a think about the Wales score last night shall we?

Russia could still qualify by beating Wales so were attacking them and still trying to get a result when 2-0 down, not sitting with 11 behind the ball from the kick-off knowing a draw should see them through, completely different scenario

Now you're just picking and choosing stuff to suit your argument that contradicts your earlier posts. I called for Rashford to be involved. You're the one saying Mr Golden Boot should be playing. I actually think that with the talent we have up front that a 4-4-2 would suit as an alternative. Mix it up a bit - when we did we scored 2 against Wales.

Either you want changes to the line up or you don't ? (Kane started yet you questioned why change it so the point was relevant) I think dropping him was a good move but i'm not the one saying that Roy should go for making decisions like that now am i?

I didn't say our performance was poor either. I said it was average. You're using your own words instead of mine. That's why I used the analogies that I did. Would you rather pass an exam or smash it out of the park? Arrive in comfort and safety with your family or slide your sports car in sideways and start in on the coke and hookers. Your choice. What I've seen just lacks ambition. It's like watching his West Brom side.

Do you win a tournament by winning heavily in the group stage or by conserving energy for the later games when, if your opponent is tired, you can use that extra freshness to your advantage (fine margins, etc)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Even more of a mistake now, Spain losing means all the big shots are in our half now whereas we could have had a free ride in the other half

Free ride for either Belguim Croatia Wales etc
Unbelievable to think ENGLAND ITALY SPAIN GERMANY FRANCE are all gonna meet each other now to get to final
What an opportunity missed, well done Roy well worth those 6 changes

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Funny, because i think Roy is doing a decent job.

He inherited a team with a lot of aging players who were getting past their prime, he had the choice, stick with the tried and tested (and repeatedly failed) old guard, or try to rebuild and start anew with a much younger group and build for the future? we have one of the youngest if not the youngest squad in the competition. (a higher profile manager may have been more selfish and looked at the short term and their own glory rather than long term (like Roy has done) for the benefit of the team for years to come)

We have weaknesses, yes. But that's hardly surprising when the available choices for him to pick from are lacking in certain areas (a bit weak in central defence) but look elsewhere for the explanation rather than blame someone who has no control in how English players are brought through and developed at their own league clubs (a place where most clubs will rather buy foreign imports than show patience and develop their own talent, and if they do, they arn't necessarily English players due to clubs scouring the World looking for youngsters with potential)

I think that's all very rational. My one big gripe with Hodgson isn't that he's done these things, it's that he's come into a tournament not knowing what system or players he wants to play. He's picked a squad that suits the diamond in midfield and two up front, yet we've pretty much not played that system. So as positive as he's appeared to be in his squad selection, he's shot himself in the foot with the way he's set the team up. Sometimes football is a very simple game - round pegs in round holes and all that jazz.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Russia could still qualify by beating Wales so were attacking them and still trying to get a result when 2-0 down, not sitting with 11 behind the ball from the kick-off knowing a draw should see them through, completely different scenario

But by far our worst game was against Russia. Had they been sitting back against us they wouldn't have equalised would they? A second goal would have put them away. We dominated the game without our centre forward looking like scoring, nicked one from a set piece and then set back.

Either you want changes to the line up or you don't ? (Kane started yet you questioned why change it so the point was relevant) I think dropping him was a good move but i'm not the one saying that Roy should go for making decisions like that now am i?

I'd like to see the diamond with 2 up top. That would give is the best chance of playing our best players, Kane, Rashford, Sturridge and Vardy included (two starting and two from the bench. I don't understand why we've suddenly dropped it but I suspect it's because he's bottled it at the sight of a major tournament. But if you think I'm saying Roy should go then you haven't read the thread properly. I said he was AVERAGE. He'll do. He's ok. He's the "satisfactory" mark in a work appraisal. I actually said just before you quoted me that there isn't a better English manager, which is a sad indictment on our game and the FA's supposed development of it. Would Allerdyce be better? No. Would Klopp, Ranieri or Guardiola? Of course, but I even acknowledged you wouldn't tempt them from club football. We just have to accept that the current squad with the current manager is around about an out at the quarter final stage team.

Do you win a tournament by winning heavily in the group stage or by conserving energy for the later games when, if your opponent is tired, you can use that extra freshness to your advantage (fine margins, etc)

Your best chance of winning knock out football is to be in the easiest part of the draw against the weaker sides from the group stage.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don't think it helps team morale when you pick the likes of Wilshire, who hadn't played all season and has been awful and lacking match practice.

What must the likes of Drinkwater think when his played pretty much every game in a Premiership winning side?

Rooney was our best player in the first two games and Roy drops him and Alli for Henderson and Wilshire who have had no recent club form at all.

I could understand this if it was Ronaldo or something but it isn't......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I think the Henderson and Wilshere selection will ultimately cost Roy his job.

Henderson is another defensive midfielder like Dier, two defensive midfielders in a game where Slovakia were never coming over the halfway line. Then getting Henderson to attack which is not his forte. Then Wilshere who while he can pick a pass, cannot run or tackle without falling apart.

Meanwhile Rooney who for all the stick I've given him up front, has just had two of his career greatest major tournament games in his new found position, together with Ali who we know is aggressive and would stand up to Skertel and co, and who can unpick a defender or score a long range effort. None of which Henderson or Wilshere are renowned for.

It's a moronic and job defining move from Roy.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
and if it was not for Sturidge and his 92min goal we would be back now.

No, we wouldn't. We would be one of the best third place teams, almost certainly playing Germany in the next round.

I apologise for the pedantry.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think what we can deduce is that its not a very good idea having Rooney off the pitch. Roy took him off v Russia, we lose control of a game we were cruising in, and end up conceding. Then Roy binned him for the Group decider, and with a badly (and predictably) misfiring Wilshire and a pedestrian Henderson, we fail to break down a limited Slovakia side. Even when he brought Rooney on, he pushed him too far forward out of desperation, right into the space Alli would usually occupy which forced him wide, and it all went to shit.

That's 4 points dropped, and its cost us the group. I'm not saying its ALL down to Rooney being off the field, but IMO it was definitely a large contributing factor in us losing those points. He had been one of our best players, and had settled into that deeper role extremely well. He was dictating play for us. Roy binned that off twice, and look whats happened. It wasn't broke, but he couldn't resist "fixing it".

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
load of old bollox the whole lot of it ....bumped into second place , " resting" best players.....they have been playing twice a week for most of the season and just had a month off....it's once every two years that a major tournament comes around.....what would the likes of chile do to the team that hodgson picked last night.....wipe the feckin floor with it that's what......henderson ....strewth. drinkwater and simpson should both be in france as should andy carroll imho.

This is where I started to laugh at you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here