Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Everything I said is 100% TRUE, why change a winning team when it was all still to pay FOR ? No point having the BEST strikers if you play shite like WILTSHIRE and Henderson creating the chances.

Sack Hodgson NOW.
When WHAT was all still to play for? England are through to the next round, you doughnut.

I'm not expecting England to go on and win the thing, but let's see what happens in the next round...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When WHAT was all still to play for? England are through to the next round, you doughnut.

I'm not expecting England to go on and win the thing, but let's see what happens in the next round...

We've stumbled through. Yes we're in the next round, but you want to see a team evolving into a tournament. We did that (to an extent out of desperation) against the Welsh. Then Roy scatters it all to the wind again, 6 changes, treating this game like a 2nd round League Cup tie against lower division opposition, and the result is...well, we all saw.

We now could well end up with Portugal, and are in the same side of the QF draw as France, Germany and Italy. Once again we've made it doubly hard for ourselves by not being ruthless. You reap what you sow, and we've just sowed a big steaming turd in our allotment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We've stumbled through. Yes we're in the next round, but you want to see a team evolving into a tournament. We did that (to an extent out of desperation) against the Welsh. Then Roy scatters it all to the wind again, 6 changes, treating this game like a 2nd round League Cup tie against lower division opposition, and the result is...well, we all saw.

We now could well end up with Portugal, and are in the same side of the QF draw as France, Germany and Italy. Once again we've made it doubly hard for ourselves by not being ruthless. You reap what you sow, and we've just sowed a big steaming turd in our allotment.

Portugal – that team who had a lot of possession but couldn't get the ball in the net? Perfect match-up then...

I thought expectations were meant to be low for this tournament anyway? But, regardless of that – Germany? England beat them in March :lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

How can Roy be at fault for players missing sitters?

Making 6 changes changes was not the reason we didn't win last night.

D

Deleted member 2719

Everything I said is 100% TRUE, why change a winning team when it was all still to pay FOR ? No point having the BEST strikers if you play shite like WILTSHIRE and Henderson creating the chances.

Sack Hodgson NOW.

I agree SIR ELF would have never DUN this, we also had MOORE about the team in 66.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
when we play against better teams wanting to win our strikers will do ok. what does worry me is our so far untested defence.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Highly unlikely we'll get Portugal, if they win their last game they'll win the group and if they draw they'll almost certainly finish 3rd. That group is the weakest in the tournament and I think we'll end up with an easier game than Wales in the Round of 16. That said we'll probably end up with a tougher QF with France and if we do our inevitable brave defeat there it's got to be the end for Roy.

From a selfish point of view I am just fuming we've gone from a Sat game and Fri QF to a ruddy Monday night game and a Sunday QF, for that alone Roy should be considering his future this morning.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
load of old bollox the whole lot of it ....bumped into second place , " resting" best players.....they have been playing twice a week for most of the season and just had a month off....it's once every two years that a major tournament comes around.....what would the likes of chile do to the team that hodgson picked last night.....wipe the feckin floor with it that's what......henderson ....strewth. drinkwater and simpson should both be in france as should andy carroll imho.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I said this on my Facebook last night but Hodgson is the most average manager we've ever had. He's like a Volvo or the Daily Mail or a "C" in a Maths exam. Perfectly acceptable and makes you feel like a snob if you sneer, yet you desire a Ferrari, great literature and an A*.

Why bother taking Rashford if you're not going to use him? Why stick to the formation we went back to in order to fit in Rooney and then drop him? Why change the fullbacks who were excellent? Why not change Hart who's been shit? Because the set up we had was perfect for dominating ball and territory without doing much with it again. And why not work on finishing in training? Or, if we are why not work on it a bit longer? Push ourselves.

Sooner or later - probably sooner - we'll draw a knockout match (again), lose on penalties (again) and Roy will spend weeks telling anyone who'll listen that we were unlucky just because he set the side up not to lose (again).

ARGH.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if Roy goes who takes his place?

Depends if he has to be English. If he does we might as well stick with Roy.

You only have to look at the leaps and bounds that our cricket and rugby union teams have come on by replacing a very average Englishman with knowledgeable, risk taking Aussies. Should we limit ourselves as such should he leave at the end of the tournament?

I couldn't tell you one English manager better than Roy but I could fill the page with better foreign ones. You know the names but I doubt anything would tempt them away from club management, which is a shame.

We are stuck with Roy or someone equally as uninspiring. To be honest I doubt I'll even watch the World Cups in Russia and Qatar so my main frustration is that we're stuck with Mr Average in the last decent tournament I'll watch for 4 years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Depends if he has to be English. If he does we might as well stick with Roy.

You only have to look at the leaps and bounds that our cricket and rugby union teams have come on by replacing a very average Englishman with knowledgeable, risk taking Aussies though to know that we shouldn't limit ourselves as such should he leave at the end of the tournament. I couldn't tell you one English manager better than Roy but I could fill the page with better foreign ones. You know the names but I doubt anything would tempt them away from club management, which is a shame.

We are stuck with Roy or someone equally as uninspiring. To be honest I doubt I'll even watch the World Cups in Russia and Qatar so my main frustration is that we're stuck with Mr Average in the last decent tournament I'll watch for 4 years.

I have no issue with employing an overseas manager, as long as they are the correct one - we have gone for successful managers in the the past which was measured by what they had won.

We would be better off assessing who the best player development manager we can get is and going for him

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I said this on my Facebook last night but Hodgson is the most average manager we've ever had. He's like a Volvo or the Daily Mail or a "C" in a Maths exam. Perfectly acceptable and makes you feel like a snob if you sneer, yet you desire a Ferrari, great literature and an A*.

Why bother taking Rashford if you're not going to use him? Why stick to the formation we went back to in order to fit in Rooney and then drop him? Why change the fullbacks who were excellent? Why not change Hart who's been shit? Because the set up we had was perfect for dominating ball and territory without doing much with it again. And why not work on finishing in training? Or, if we are why not work on it a bit longer? Push ourselves.

Sooner or later - probably sooner - we'll draw a knockout match (again), lose on penalties (again) and Roy will spend weeks telling anyone who'll listen that we were unlucky just because he set the side up not to lose (again).

ARGH.

Look at those higher rated managers which you clearly would prefer, like Sven or Capello.

Managers who took unfit players, or could have selected the best possible available players (like Kevin Phillips, who had won the PL Golden Boot) but chose to take a youngster with about 5 minutes experience in the league instead and never play him. Rashford played during the Wales game so has been take to the Euros and used.

We arn't sitting back and hoping for a draw but pushing forward to try to win the games. It's difficult to break down a team that has all 11 behind the ball (as we saw many a time last season when Brighton tried and failed)

BTW - the last team to rest 5 or more players for a group match? - Spain at Euro 2008, how did it work out for them? (hint they finished higher than 2nd)

Kane is the PL golden boot winner, Vardy scored a hatful too in the league last season. Do you seriously think that a national manager has to teach them how to put the ball into the net?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think after Hodgson we'll almost certainly end up with a foreign manager but one who has managed in the PL and has some understanding of English football.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Kane is the PL golden boot winner, Vardy scored a hatful too in the league last season. Do you seriously think that a national manager has to teach them how to put the ball into the net?

Don't think Kane won the PL golden boot for his corner taking abilities tho eh? How on earth can that be passed off as anything other than a senior moment by the manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here