Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
He was at Liverpool when they had boardroom troubles, they had an ownership battle raging so they were not providing transfer funds (who would if you could be forced out the next day and someone else gets the benefit of your money) They had their best players out injured.

Who would succeed in that circumstance? - If they had given him more time and once things had sort themselves out off the pitch, he could have proved a decent manager for Liverpool but when he joined it was a bit of a poisoned chalice and i think he would have been better off turning it down (the only reason to join during that period was because of their history / level of support and not their immediate potential)

I was just giving the backdrop to Hodgson's appointment - however you view the Liverpool period (and losing at home to Northampton is pretty miserable whichever way you slice it) you can't argue that his stock was so high that he needed to be tempted with £3.5 million per year. An utter joke.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was just giving the backdrop to Hodgson's appointment - however you view the Liverpool period (and losing at home to Northampton is pretty miserable whichever way you slice it) you can't argue that his stock was so high that he needed to be tempted with £3.5 million per year. An utter joke.

Depends what he was on at West Brom. Maybe £3.5M was actually a pay cut... ... ... ...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dunno, it seems each player turns up with the DNA of some previous influential coach from the players dim and distant past and the incumbent English manager either picks him or not, they then win or not and the manager is the guy who gets the credit or not.

Tactical nuance is again measured purely on the end result, we have enough top class players to muddle through the group stages, I doubt whether it really matters who is in charge .....................

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I dunno, it seems each player turns up with the DNA of some previous influential coach from the players dim and distant past and the incumbent English manager either picks him or not, they then win or not and the manager is the guy who gets the credit or not.

Tactical nuance is again measured purely on the end result, we have enough top class players to muddle through the group stages, I doubt whether it really matters who is in charge .....................

I don't think it matters particularly until you have to beat a team that is of similar ability to yours or there is real pressure to win. Walking the qualifiers is one thing, winning in the knockout phase of a major tournament is another. We obviously should beat Iceland, Roy doesn't need to do anything smart there.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't think it matters particularly until you have to beat a team that is of similar ability to yours or there is real pressure to win. Walking the qualifiers is one thing, winning in the knockout phase of a major tournament is another. We obviously should beat Iceland, Roy doesn't need to do anything smart there.

It was a little tongue in cheek, but you watch, you will see games which are won on luck, brilliance or mistakes, there will be one or two that seem a seamless winning performance and the coach will be lauded for it, but if you analyse closely the result of even those games were dictated by a miss, great save, a fluff or a forced selection change.

The managers just need to offer some guidance, perhaps draw a few crosses on a white board and rally the troops 5 minutes before heading out to play but beyond that mostly deal with the press and the inevitable fall out of an unsuccessful tournament.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It was a little tongue in cheek, but you watch, you will see games which are won on luck, brilliance or mistakes, there will be one or two that seem a seamless winning performance and the coach will be lauded for it, but if you analyse closely the result of even those games were dictated by a miss, great save, a fluff or a forced selection change.

The managers just need to offer some guidance, perhaps draw a few crosses on a white board and rally the troops 5 minutes before heading out to play but beyond that mostly deal with the press and the inevitable fall out of an unsuccessful tournament.

I agree to a large extent tbh. It's also very often a refereeing decision that goes a long way to determining an outcome (which I think is why Alex Ferguson behaved the way he did towards referees to mitigate the randomness as much as possible.) There is definitely motivation as a factor but I also believe tactical awareness plays a more significant part than you perhaps, especially when it comes to making changes after kick off, and this is where plenty of managers fall short.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I've watched England for more than 40 years and seen a succession of successful club managers turn into clueless buffoons in that job. We have had old ones ,young ones, foreign and homegrown...

Managers, coaches, change - England remain the same

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm. All I keep thinking of when I see Roy Hodgson is that he is a modern day Bobby Robson - certainly too many mistakes but never-the-less an honest, decent man who could be a lot worse. Retrospectively Robson was considered in high regard, but some of us are old enough to remember him getting absolutely SLAUGHTERED by the press and public alike in 1986 - until he stumbled on the Beardsley/Lineker partnership. In hindsight, I think I will have far more time for RH than Sven or Capello. Sven stifled our best team in recent memory, Capello was clueless on how to get the best out of his players.

But let's just see how RH does in this tournament before judging him. I haven't anything from any other team that makes me think we'll get battered. Or at least, they've all proved to be fallible at some point...

Hodgson has matched other managers who had considerably more talent at their disposal. If you do a composite side of 2006 and 2016 then - other than Rooney who is still around - only maybe Joe Hart of the 2016 crop would get in:

1. Hart (Robinson?) 2. G Neville. 3. A. Cole, 4. Rio. 5. Terry. 6. Gerrard. 7. Becks. 8. Lampard. 9. Owen. 10. Rooney. 11. J Cole.

Other than talent, the other big factor is public expectation - it's non-existent, and the effect of that on today's players mean performance and capability are much more evenly-matched than the days of the Golden Generation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hodgson has matched other managers who had considerably more talent at their disposal. If you do a composite side of 2006 and 2016 then - other than Rooney who is still around - only maybe Joe Hart of the 2016 crop would get in:

1. Hart (Robinson?) 2. G Neville. 3. A. Cole, 4. Rio. 5. Terry. 6. Gerrard. 7. Becks. 8. Lampard. 9. Owen. 10. Rooney. 11. J Cole.

Other than talent, the other big factor is public expectation - it's non-existent, and the effect of that on today's players mean performance and capability are much more evenly-matched than the days of the Golden Generation.

That defence doesn't even include the likes of King/Dawson/Carragher/Bridge/campbell etc who would certainly be in, or close to being in this squad

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That defence doesn't even include the likes of King/Dawson/Carragher/Bridge/campbell etc who would certainly be in, or close to being in this squad

Indeed. It's debatable whether our 2016 1st XI is any better than the 2006 second string of:

1. D James. 2. Carragher. 3. Bridge. 4. Campbell. 5. King. 6. Carrick. 7. Hargreaves 8. Lennon. 9. Crouch. 10. Walcott. 11. Downing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Look at those higher rated managers which you clearly would prefer, like Sven or Capello.

Managers who took unfit players, or could have selected the best possible available players (like Kevin Phillips, who had won the PL Golden Boot) but chose to take a youngster with about 5 minutes experience in the league instead and never play him. Rashford played during the Wales game so has been take to the Euros and used.

We arn't sitting back and hoping for a draw but pushing forward to try to win the games. It's difficult to break down a team that has all 11 behind the ball (as we saw many a time last season when Brighton tried and failed)

BTW - the last team to rest 5 or more players for a group match? - Spain at Euro 2008, how did it work out for them? (hint they finished higher than 2nd)

Kane is the PL golden boot winner, Vardy scored a hatful too in the league last season. Do you seriously think that a national manager has to teach them how to put the ball into the net?

:lolol: :lolol:

Clueless from both of us. Hodgson isn't average. He's SHIT.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What the actual f*** were we doing tonight? What the actual f*** have we been practicing over the last week? Netball? Drink ordering in alphabetical order? How to be a useless c***? Right now I'm hearing ITV pundits - ITV the channel that brought you Chiles - saying our players can't cope with pressure. Woy has had a week to get them to cope with that sort of pressure and they can't even cope with a throw in. He HAS made excellent players average -or worse. I'd rather have Allerdyce.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What the actual f*** were we doing tonight? What the actual f*** have we been practicing over the last week? Netball? Drink ordering in alphabetical order? How to be a useless c***? Right now I'm hearing ITV pundits - ITV the channel that brought you Chiles - saying our players can't cope with pressure. Woy has had a week to get them to cope with that sort of pressure and they can't even cope with a throw in. He HAS made excellent players average -or worse. I'd rather have Allerdyce.

Pressure, we were playing Iceland, that was an absolute steal of a game, lucky we didn't play France if they can't handle the pressure against Iceland. All the useless lot will be on their holidays tomorrow not giving a toss just trousering their obscene wages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here