Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what was the name of the pub in Bevendean, just up from the Avenue.

That was rough as hell

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
the maytree portslade when it was their,esp in the late 80s,the local chelsea headhunters used to plot up in their friday nites,one of their main lads used to live nearbye

That was my local when I lived around that way in the seventies. Vince an Arsenal fan had it then and I worked behind the bar to get my spending cash for the summer hols. The Irish fellas in the public could teach anyone a bit about boozing..... my worst nightmare when it came to chucking out time at 10.30pm :ohmy::ohmy:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The Bosun

This was the place to go....

West Street. If you wanted steak and bubble that was it!!!!!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
The one that has been The Office for about eight years or so...?

Before it was The Office it used to be called The Green Dragon and was a favourite haunt of string-doggers. We played their footie team at Buckingham Park in the 90's and they had a player rightly nicknamed Smelly :rolleyes:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
World's End is a weird one.

There are the London Road drinkers outside, making a mess of the place, but I dared to venture inside last week for a gig and it was much better than I thought it would be. It's not that bad a place, and they look after their ales quite well.

It's a student friendly type of place. I watched the Belarus game in there the other night and it was a great atmosphere. Lots of screens/TVs. Don't think many headers get in there :shootself

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Before it was The Office it used to be called The Green Dragon and was a favourite haunt of string-doggers. We played their footie team at Buckingham Park in the 90's and they had a player rightly nicknamed Smelly :rolleyes:

We all know Smelly!

Goes by the name of Hugh, and is actually a pretty decent footballer.

I think he still works in Sydney Street in one of the comic book shops.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Defo the Eclipse in Montgommery street, during the early 80's. Opened at 12 then, always had a great group there. Left the pub at 2.50 for the game.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton

Hugh's also an Albion supporter, and (for obvious reasons) was getting a bit fed up of the smelly tag when I last saw him. Which is actually some time ago now - wonder what happened to him? Used to see him in the Star, but I only get in there occasionally these days, so maybe that's it.

Incidentally, the Star is definitely not a rough pub!

When it was called the Green Dragon didn't a drug addict die in the bogs due to an overdose?

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I was in the Napier last night and saw these people it looked like the fourteen year old lad was in charge of a pisshead, a two year old and another scrote plus the dog! Some people are unbelievable!

Why was the Spread closed any idea?

The rumour is that there was some drug dealing...only a rumour but there also used to be a lot of shoes slung over nearby telephone wires by their laces, again I heard from "bloke down the pub" that that was a sign to other dealers to stay away.

My daughter came home very scared after witnessing a pissed up brawl outside there and I've seen obviously pissed blokes getting into their cars and driving off...twats.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
although the hikers can be a little rough and ready it's a good pub and absolutely solid Albion. Been there with my 9 yr old to ask for a glass of water and we couldn't have had a warmer reception (he was in his Albion top).

The franklin is IMO a shithole full of plastic Chelsea and man u fans. Martha gunn is rough butonce again a good local.

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of drinking at the walkabout? Also the pub opposite the Amex/law courts/benefit office and the one up the road are rough as.

Spread eagle was the worst Iv been in but the bat and ball must get a special mention if only for how desperate the clientele are. Been in the duke of beaufort(?) at the top of Hanover for an England game and that got a bit tasty.

Wellington is a bit basic but walked past it after the man city game and was chocka full of Albion so won't have a bad word said.

Always thought the social club at the lewes road/elm grove shops looked pikey too.

Buzzer

"Also the pub opposite the Amex/law courts/benefit office and the one up the road are rough as."

It was much rougher when it was the Thurlow!;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here