Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

Bat and ball, jolly brewers and the northern tavern (before it was done up) all had there moments down the years.
The seafield inn in hove aint too clever either.

Which Northern are you talking about? The Big Northern or the Little Northern?

I used to frequent the Little Northern years ago before it was done up.

Anyone use the Dover Castle in the late 80s?

I knew the landlords son, my old man had the pub up the road The Sir Charles Napier.
It was a roughish pub in the eighties, I don't think the people were that rough or that fights took place all the time it's just the pub needed a lot of attention to it!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Which Northern are you talking about? The Big Northern or the Little Northern?

I used to frequent the Little Northern years ago before it was done up.

assuming its the northern at the bottom of Ditchling Road, i used to live right opposite. On the day it reopened there was alot of trouble and they semed to bar the whole pub from returning. they tried to do it up and at the time they had a quality chef (neil i think) who did a quality sunday roast. moved away and not been in there for a year/18months now tho

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Many years ago the Half Moon in Boyce's St (off West St) was seriously rough. The Ship, Lewes Rd, and the Bosun were also quite lively.
Everywhere seems so gentrified now but I suppose I've just become boring in my pub choices.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Cracking thread, from those mentioned

White Admirald -dump run for & by half a dozen locals. Shame we couldn't have a decent pub instead of the Gdansk style slum that is there now.

The Ship - great memories of the strippers who would, having passed the glass, go all the way. different world to all the fuss these days about topless clubs. I was in there one Xmas when the Albion players were there and a player was helped from most of his clothes. Didn't seem so funny when we lost at Pompey a few days later.

Royal hussar?cock & Bottle?lecturen - RH was old peeps pub, C&B was jazzed up & fun place, Lecturn tried to go all student but i think some locals 'had a word'. Crap beer, also hosts the Celtic fan club.

The Franklin (Lewes rd Inn) - rough old place always wary. landlady, although small, seems to run a tight ship for her clientel.

Bugle - lovely pub but you have to be 'accepted'. my lad has been a regular from when he lived next door and still pops in. because of him, i always get a warm welcome.

Bat & ball - obvios trouble potential but I've always been ok.

Northern - went there once, dump.

Branch - as above. hopefully improved since smoking ban because it was awful before. Rough looking punters.

Snipe - went there once, finished in fight with locals.

Sherry's - ah, paradise. When it kicked off it was like the Wild West.

Hikers Rest - born in coldean it's my local even though I might only visit every year or 2. Am always amazed, and grateful, that I am remembered and made most welcome. Good guys, the Manthorpes, but then i taught young Kevin a thing or 2 on the footie field with those games that went on for hours at the swing park! Went to THAT Hereford game with the Hikers, top day out.

Seafield - not a regular by any means, but was on the 'Beakey's tour' bus to Plymouth......Remember Dorchester! fooking mental!

And, although no longer with us, no post on rough pubs could be complete without a mention of the good old Bo'sun, gauranteed closing time Fri/sat ruck.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
every scrote in brighton used to pitch up in there. was THE place for a time late eighties/early nineties after it changed from hennnekys. that or smugglers for lads of a certain age. a kind of honey club of that time, if you youngsters need a comparison.

Hennekys was a fab boozer..and was called Henrys for a time before Berlin Bar.

Mr Spanish, your social path might have crossed mine again in the past, as Smugger's and Night Fever were correctly great places to go back on the days.

Would like to throw the 'Downs Hotel' into the mix. The first night i worked there (circa '87) an almightly fight from two recently 'released' goons who proceeded to smash the place and manager up...
As a chancer 17 year old, thought i'd join help the manager and try to 'knock his block off..'

Promptly missed, hit a wall, then ran away being chased by Goon 1 with a smashed Lime Corona Bottle in his hand..
Charmin.. :D

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As were on the subject of the good ole days and this thread appears to be populated by lots of blokes my age who now drink 2 pints then piss their pants,anybody remember the chap in the north stand who used to sing that Go left go left song?? Fookin mental he was lol Quality:cool:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
As were on the subject of the good ole days and this thread appears to be populated by lots of blokes my age who now drink 2 pints then piss their pants,anybody remember the chap in the north stand who used to sing that Go left go left song?? Fookin mental he was lol Quality:cool:

Taybha

anybody remember the chap in the north stand who used to sing that Go left go left song??

and also ask if anyone wanted a knees up? ???

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Thats the fella aye!! never knew his name but was a blast when he was there

Taybha

What the chap who balanced on a crash barrier pis@ed up?
Explained it was his birthday and then got his todger out to show the North Stand?
Then lead a big "knees up brighton town..."?
That fella???

Last edited:

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
The spread was shut because of drug abuse and unteenth warnings. Only pub ive ever had trouble in was the geese of southover street.

Used to go into the bat and ball alot as my mates aunt worked behind the bar, never really felt safe though!

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Surprised at the exclusion of the Lamb and Flag. Played darts for the County Oak there one night c1977 ish, couldn't get out of there quick enough.
Shame about the Branch, used to be a decent pub in the 70's and early to mid 80's when run by Ernie and Pat Baker and then their son Graham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here