Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
The roughest pub in Brighton has to be the Hikers. Next comes the World's End, London Road. Just full of nutters.
I will drink in most places in Brighton but these 2 pubs are just as avoidable as the Bulldog, St James Street.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
im surprised nobody has mentioned the sea house ? i had a ruck with a certain mad jock there in circa 1981 , i was only sixteen and the scottish twat wouldnt leave it alone until i had to have a row with him.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
What was the Round Georges on Sutherland Road formerly known as?

That used to be my local at one point and the first landlord I knew there said before they took it over it was an absolute dive of the shittest order.

QUOTE]

Used to be the Sutherland Arms - had a few reincarnations, each fairly manky, in it's journey from reasonable (but always shite beer) street-corner local to its current status as a harmless Sunday lunch pub-lite. Used to have a Manc landlord and the once-obligatory fat son who spent his life at the pool table or otherwise showing off, as I recall. Been my nearest pub for 13 years or so, but I pretty much only go in for the occasional Sunday roast now - which are excellent, it has to be said.

The Cuthbert was OK in summer, as it's got a big garden which gets the sun; otherwise it always felt as if tumbleweed should be blowing through it. And the beer was no better there than in the Sutherland.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
although the hikers can be a little rough and ready it's a good pub and absolutely solid Albion. Been there with my 9 yr old to ask for a glass of water and we couldn't have had a warmer reception (he was in his Albion top).

The franklin is IMO a shithole full of plastic Chelsea and man u fans. Martha gunn is rough butonce again a good local.

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of drinking at the walkabout? Also the pub opposite the Amex/law courts/benefit office and the one up the road are rough as.

Spread eagle was the worst Iv been in but the bat and ball must get a special mention if only for how desperate the clientele are. Been in the duke of beaufort(?) at the top of Hanover for an England game and that got a bit tasty.

Wellington is a bit basic but walked past it after the man city game and was chocka full of Albion so won't have a bad word said.

Always thought the social club at the lewes road/elm grove shops looked pikey too.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Hennekys was a fab boozer..and was called Henrys for a time before Berlin Bar.

Mr Spanish, your social path might have crossed mine again in the past, as Smugger's and Night Fever were correctly great places to go back on the days.

Would like to throw the 'Downs Hotel' into the mix. The first night i worked there (circa '87) an almightly fight from two recently 'released' goons who proceeded to smash the place and manager up...
As a chancer 17 year old, thought i'd join help the manager and try to 'knock his block off..'

Promptly missed, hit a wall, then ran away being chased by Goon 1 with a smashed Lime Corona Bottle in his hand..
Charmin.. :D

If you are from Woodingdean mate we were probably down these places together!

The Downs. Good Shout. Loads of unstable people in there.

jrmeag1

Sep 22, 2008
Fazz62 think his name was Jimmy Anigan, rumour was he was in the TA, remember every home game he would stand on the railings shouting it was his birthday, good old days.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
A bloke I work with is from Woodingdean and he told me that someone once took a horse into The Toby there. Apparently they also dragged a fruit machine out into the car park as it was a nice day and they wanted to carry on playing it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
although the hikers can be a little rough and ready it's a good pub and absolutely solid Albion. Been there with my 9 yr old to ask for a glass of water and we couldn't have had a warmer reception (he was in his Albion top).

The franklin is IMO a shithole full of plastic Chelsea and man u fans. Martha gunn is rough butonce again a good local.

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of drinking at the walkabout? Also the pub opposite the Amex/law courts/benefit office and the one up the road are rough as.

Spread eagle was the worst Iv been in but the bat and ball must get a special mention if only for how desperate the clientele are. Been in the duke of beaufort(?) at the top of Hanover for an England game and that got a bit tasty.

Wellington is a bit basic but walked past it after the man city game and was chocka full of Albion so won't have a bad word said.

Always thought the social club at the lewes road/elm grove shops looked pikey too.

Oh f***! I forgot about the Leconfield Arms. I was in a sherbert once up Edward Street and suddenly about 10 police cars screamed passed and loads of coppers were running up there from John Street. There was a proper punters v police ruck kicking off. Well funny to watch.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
last time i was in the beaufort was for the 2000 cup final and they had been touting pound a pint before the first goal is scored from about 11. lo and behold in the first minute chelsea score and they have a pub full of really f***ed off pissed people. its not a rough house though.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That one in the North Laine.. the Dragon? f***ing dive in there.

D

Deleted User X18H

last time i was in the beaufort was for the 2000 cup final and they had been touting pound a pint before the first goal is scored from about 11. lo and behold in the first minute chelsea score and they have a pub full of really f***ed off pissed people. its not a rough house though.
I do beleive that was the 1997 FA CUP FINAL Di Mateo v Ben Roberts I believe Di matteo scored again in 2000 final though in the 73 or 75 minute now that would have been fun!!!!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The roughest pub in Brighton has to be the Hikers. Next comes the World's End, London Road. Just full of nutters.
I will drink in most places in Brighton but these 2 pubs are just as avoidable as the Bulldog, St James Street.

World's End is a weird one.

There are the London Road drinkers outside, making a mess of the place, but I dared to venture inside last week for a gig and it was much better than I thought it would be. It's not that bad a place, and they look after their ales quite well.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Oh f***! I forgot about the Leconfield Arms. I was in a sherbert once up Edward Street and suddenly about 10 police cars screamed passed and loads of coppers were running up there from John Street. There was a proper punters v police ruck kicking off. Well funny to watch.

the leccy aint bad at all was my local last year never once kicked off, just full of a load of weirdos

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
A bloke I work with is from Woodingdean and he told me that someone once took a horse into The Toby there. Apparently they also dragged a fruit machine out into the car park as it was a nice day and they wanted to carry on playing it.

Think it was the Pool Table actually -made it down the hill too..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here