Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham fielded an ineligible player against Albion

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The FA can not do anything other than deduct the 3 points and give a fine, as they have done to other clubs in the past.
Hope this is what will happen, but unfortunately the rules do give the option of ordering the match to be played again. Logistically appalling at this stage of the season, so let's hope common sense prevails.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Hope this is what will happen, but unfortunately the rules do give the option of ordering the match to be played again. Logistically appalling at this stage of the season, so let's hope common sense prevails.

It's about setting presidents, they will have to deduct the 3 points as that is what they have done in the past. It's in Our best interest for the points to be deducted. Why play a game and maybe lose again, this way Rotherham lose 3 points pulling them into the fight at the bottom.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's about setting presidents, they will have to deduct the 3 points as that is what they have done in the past. It's in Our best interest for the points to be deducted. Why play a game and maybe lose again, this way Rotherham lose 3 points pulling them into the fight at the bottom.
There's no law that says they HAVE to follow their precedent - I just hope they do, though!

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Then Millwall and Wigan would complain. The FA can not do anything other than deduct the 3 points and give a fine, as they have done to other clubs in the past.
But Rotherham have fielded an extra squad member. Thus giving the manager greater choice on the pitch. We cannot prove it altered the result, but equally it may have done. I understand that Wigan and Millwall may complain BUT how can it be fair that a match ends with both teams losing. If it doesnt affect the result or give Rotherham an unfair advantage fine them. If it does potentially change the result then reverse the result, as it is Albion who have been impacted most. All other teams are not involved in the match and expected a result. Either us or Rotherham could have won or a draw. Not both lose, that is no decision, it is avoiding a decision. BS

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But Rotherham have fielded an extra squad member. Thus giving the manager greater choice on the pitch. We cannot prove it altered the result, but equally it may have done. I understand that Wigan and Millwall may complain BUT how can it be fair that a match ends with both teams losing. If it doesnt affect the result or give Rotherham an unfair advantage fine them. If it does potentially change the result then reverse the result, as it is Albion who have been impacted most. All other teams are not involved in the match and expected a result. Either us or Rotherham could have won or a draw. Not both lose, that is no decision, it is avoiding a decision. BS

Points deduction and fine are already the punishments meted out in the past to winning teams. It's just a fine if the offending team lose the game. I can't see the Football League suddenly deciding to do it differently this time.
Hartlepool April 2010, AFC Wimbledon a year ago are examples of winning teams losing three points, with nothing awarded to their opposition.
Blackpool just got a fine for their team because they lost the game.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Points deduction and fine are already the punishments meted out in the past to winning teams. It's just a fine if the offending team lose the game. I can't see the Football League suddenly deciding to do it differently this time.
Hartlepool April 2010, AFC Wimbledon a year ago are examples of winning teams losing three points, with nothing awarded to their opposition.
Blackpool just got a fine for their team because they lost the game.
I know that will be the outcome, i dont expect common sense here, but it doesnt make it right. And if this had happened to Wigan at Borough as mentioned earlier, then yes result should be overturned, it makes no sense as the losing team have been cheated more than the chasing teams..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's in Our best interest for the points to be deducted. Why play a game and maybe lose again, this way Rotherham lose 3 points pulling them into the fight at the bottom.
I'd think playing the game again would reduce our chances of relegation the most, as it gives us the chance to pick up points. We'll only be relegated if Milwall or Wigan overtake us, and for that to happen we'd have to lose a lot, meaning that Rotherham could easily overtake us anyway (ie, even if they're deducted the points).

However, it's been the 3 points in the past, so that's what it should be IMO.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know that will be the outcome, i dont expect common sense here, but it doesnt make it right. And if this had happened to Wigan at Borough as mentioned earlier, then yes result should be overturned, it makes no sense as the losing team have been cheated more than the chasing teams..

In a league competition every point has to be earned on the field of play.

There is absolutely no common sense in suggesting a team should be awarded points for a game they lost but 'might have won'.

We are the victims of an injustice, maybe intentionally, maybe purely by a letter missing the post. That injustice is no different to a poor refereeing decision, a wrong red card that might cost you the game. We lost, and that is that. We cannot be given anything for what might have been. All you can do is punish the team who have breached the rules.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They take the points gained by the offending team but we still gained no points from the game in the first place so it would be wrong to gjve us any we couldnt get on the field against the same number of players irrespective of which players.

I just hope the FL act quickly to clear it up ASAP and by Friday before the last 3 games of the season as it will affect relegation placed clubs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not both lose, that is no decision, it is avoiding a decision. BS
Is the correct decision. Both teams haven't lost - we've already lost (the score was 1-0) and Rotherham won, but will have the rewards for winning (three points) taken away; it will still be recorded as a win in the league table, which will also show three points deducted as a footnote.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Disciplinary matters are usually dealt with fairly promptly.

They haven't dealt with Malky Mackay yet & he's been sacked, appointed & sacked again :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Is the correct decision. Both teams haven't lost - we've already lost (the score was 1-0) and Rotherham won, but will have the rewards for winning (three points) taken away; it will still be recorded as a win in the league table, which will also show three points deducted as a footnote.
Yes we lost but my point remains we lost to a team who fielded amplayer that wasnt available. Say we fielded a goalkeeper who we shouldnt have and he saved a penalty, is that still the right result for the team he denied a win too? Just because the impact may not be as obvious it still has to have had an effect on the game.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm minded of a Milton Jones sketch where he built a palace for a foreign dictator but on the opening day, the dictator fell into a pit of concrete. He was worried he had set a dangerous president.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes we lost but my point remains we lost to a team who fielded amplayer that wasnt available. Say we fielded a goalkeeper who we shouldnt have and he saved a penalty, is that still the right result for the team he denied a win too? Just because the impact may not be as obvious it still has to have had an effect on the game.

You don't get any points for losing. We lost. That's the rules. End of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here