Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham fielded an ineligible player against Albion

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
You don't get any points for losing. We lost. That's the rules. End of.
We will not agree on this and I respect your view. The precident is clear and defacto that is what will be implemented, but my opinion is the precident was set and it is wrong. My point is not what 'will' happen, but what I think should happen.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
In a league competition every point has to be earned on the field of play.

There is absolutely no common sense in suggesting a team should be awarded points for a game they lost but 'might have won'.

We are the victims of an injustice, maybe intentionally, maybe purely by a letter missing the post. That injustice is no different to a poor refereeing decision, a wrong red card that might cost you the game. We lost, and that is that. We cannot be given anything for what might have been. All you can do is punish the team who have breached the rules.
A red card or a bad refereeing decision happens during the game and is subjective to the refs view. An ineligible player should be known before the game.

I still believe if it does not affect the outcome then they should not lose the points, just a fine. If it is believed that this offense does affect the outcome of games where it happens then either replay the game or reverse the result. I dont expect everyone to agree with me, but it is my opinion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A red card or a bad refereeing decision happens during the game and is subjective to the refs view. An ineligible player should be known before the game.

I still believe if it does not affect the outcome then they should not lose the points, just a fine. If it is believed that this offense does affect the outcome of games where it happens then either replay the game or reverse the result. I dont expect everyone to agree with me, but it is my opinion.

You cannot reverse the scoreline. If this particular player hadn't been on the pitch, the result might have been a draw.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

But how do you know if it affected the outcome? What if they had no other centre back available, which possibly they didn't as they have recalled Richard Wood from Crawley. What if they had to play an inexperienced youngster or someone out of position? Inept as we are, the incoming player might have scored an own goal, delivered a poor back pass, conceded a penalty. The point is surely that we have no idea if it affected the outcome, but a slap on the wrist and a fine surely cannot be the fairest answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can in a cup comp. If what you say is correct, then you should not imo dock Rotherham any points as they may have won anyway. Just fine them.

A cup competition is very different from a league situation. The offending team is disqualified from that competition.

Rotherham gained an advantage by playing an ineligible player so that advantage must be cancelled out.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Anyone know if we're eligble for a refund? The game we saw is in effect being voided. I didn't travel to see that shower of shite for it to just pretend it never happened. We must have a case shirley

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone know if we're eligble for a refund? The game we saw is in effect being voided. I didn't travel to see that shower of shite for it to just pretend it never happened. We must have a case shirley

Good idea. I'll put in a request for the April 2010 game at Hartlepool whilst I'm at it.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
A cup competition is very different from a league situation. The offending team is disqualified from that competition.

Rotherham gained an advantage by playing an ineligible player so that advantage must be cancelled out.
My whole point is that if they gained an advantage, they gained it over us. If points are adjusted, you shouldnt do half a job by removing some. Either change the whole result or fine them, not expunge the match.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My whole point is that if they gained an advantage, they gained it over us. If points are adjusted, you shouldnt do half a job by removing some. Either change the whole result or fine them, not expunge the match.

The whole result is changed. The three points gained is wiped out.
You cannot award three points to us as we may have got a draw. You cannot award 1 point to us as we may have won it. That's not fair to the other teams in the bottom 6.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The match would not be voided.
Rotherham would still show as a win, and us a loss.
The goal would still count in the table.

Rotherham would just be "fined" the 3 points (and likely financially)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
The whole result is changed. The three points gained is wiped out.
You cannot award three points to us as we may have got a draw. You cannot award 1 point to us as we may have won it. That's not fair to the other teams in the bottom 6.
Rotherhams point are removed, but the result has changed for everyone EXCEPT us. In this scenario, both us and Rotherham have been punished. I know we cant assume the result would have been different, in fact if he hadnt have played, his replacement may have scored a hatrick. So should the rule be
a) point deduction (applied even if you lose) and fine. That is easy to administer.
b) fine and no point deduction
c) reverse the result (and fine)

I just think the result either matters i.e. c or it doesnt and a standard approach irrelevant of result is applied, i.e a or b.

What we have is a mix of a and c imo

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either change the whole result or fine them, not expunge the match.
The match won't be expunged. In 20 years time the record books will still show the result as Rotherham 1, Brighton 0, and the league table in terms of matches p. w. d. l, and goals for and against will look exactly the same, except that Rotherham will have been deducted three points.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rotherhams point are removed, but the result has changed for everyone EXCEPT us. In this scenario, both us and Rotherham have been punished. I know we cant assume the result would have been different, in fact if he hadnt have played, his replacement may have scored a hatrick. So should the rule be
a) point deduction (applied even if you lose) and fine. That is easy to administer.
b) fine and no point deduction
c) reverse the result (and fine)

I just think the result either matters i.e. c or it doesnt and a standard approach irrelevant of result is applied, i.e a or b.

What we have is a mix of a and c imo

Sorry but that is not right. If Rotherham had lost why should they get points deducted? They hadn't gained an advantage by playing him. That scenario is covered by a fine only.
They did get an advantage so therefore that advantage is wiped out.

To me it's as simple as that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You just couldn't have someone winning the league or escaping relegation because they are gifted points because someone else fielded an ineligible player.

In a cup replay, the punishment is that they thought they were through, but now they need to replay the game, but still have a chance to go through.

How would you replay a league game? Presumably the guilty team would still be deducted the points, so what is the point of them playing? If they get to keep the points following a replay, what is the punishment?

I realise what you're saying, but every point in a league competition has to have been earned through events on the field, not the paperwork off it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No chance money back as you've paid and seen a game , game still happened just the points won't be awarded .

As we are likely safe then not worth worrying about to much . Pretty sure even without that player we would of lost .

Makes millwall v Wigan tonight even bigger

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are the FL waiting until we are safe, so they don't have to consider replaying this match ?

I imagine we'll be taking legal action if we go down and arn't given the chance to replay this one ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here