Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham fielded an ineligible player against Albion

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The rules are there in black and white. If you field an ineligible player, unless you are West Ham*, you have the points obtained in that match taken away.

*West Ham, deservedly, have exemption as they won the World Cup.

I have written to the FA to have the FA cup awarded tho BHAFC in perpetuity because Tevez was their best player by a country mile in that game and I still get cold sweats remembering how terrified butters looked whenever Carlos came tearing down the pitch at him.
Obviously, without him, we would have owned West Ham and gone on to win the competition with panache.
..... I don't expect a reply.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
I was loaned to a sister company once, I didn't really have any choice in the matter. My parent company told me it would be good for my career. But one thing was sure, I new my parent company manager new and the sister company manager new exactly what day I would be returning to my original position! I can't believe they all were not aware of this at Rotherham.
For what it's worth I don't want the points, we should succeed or fail by our own endeavours, not by some oversight some where else!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
they will wait until nearly the end of the season before making any comment, just to see if either of us are about to go down as they will not want a court case, certainly not from us.
if we both look like staying up then they will get a fine ......................probably a very small one

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is probably true but when you bring a player in, surely the manager has a list of the fixtures ahead. if he cant work out in his mind what games that loan period will be covering him for then you shouldn't be managing a football team. perhaps if the Match v brightton was a re-arranged game he might be off the hook but I don't think it was.

It will be the club secretary's fault. He should know what players are or are not available.

As for the penalty, I appreciate that they are only likely to deduct the points and fine Rotherham but wouldn't it make sense that the losing team are awarded one point for the draw, ie on the basis that the offending team have now been denied the victory.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rotherham should lose the points. As already pointed out, we won't get them.

How would we feel if Watford played an ineligibleplayer against Millwall on Saturday? Watford would rightly have the points deducted.. but Millwall being awarded them!!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Haven't we been fielding players who should have been ineligible* all season? Mostly up front.

*mostly because they're crap

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
They also fielded an ineligible referee or was it incompetent

Judging by the free kick debacle instead of playing an ineligible player Rotherham should have sent some extra men onto the pitch, he would have been none the wiser.

Apr 12, 2015
In all fairness shorley that's a points deduction. Remember the polish team (forget the name) who was booted out of the Europa league for subbing on an eligible player for the last 3 minutes or so of the second leg when they were like 5 .0 up on aggregate.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Doubtless this will be decided two weeks after the season has ended, and the obvious 1 1/2 points deducted from Rotherham and given to us?!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
they will wait until nearly the end of the season before making any comment, just to see if either of us are about to go down as they will not want a court case, certainly not from us.
if we both look like staying up then they will get a fine ......................probably a very small one
We have no chance of going down.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I
I like the idea of a committee of stuffed suits at the FA discussing this in a smoke filled office.

Stuffed suit one - "Well I'm afraid we have no recourse other than to remove three points from Rotherham United effectual forthwith."

Stuffed suit two - "I'm sorry gentlemen but I think we can all agree that Brighton and Hove Albion are completely f**king sh*thouse this season and would not have won the game if Rotherham had fielded Ferne Cotton at centre half."

Stuffed suite three - "Agreed Mr Cholmondly.... overruled."

Fearne Cotton would probably have been ineligible, too. Would that have been 6 points deducted?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
If we lose to Huddersfield and Wigan beat Millwall (both very reasonable claims), and then Wigan beat us at their place (they will let's face it!)... they will be 3 points behind us with two games to play. Squeaky bum time.

Agreed. It's all ifs and bums

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rotherham should lose the points. As already pointed out, we won't get them.

How would we feel if Watford played an ineligibleplayer against Millwall on Saturday? Watford would rightly have the points deducted.. but Millwall being awarded them!!!

I agree but also see a differrnt side. If the probable happens, there are 3 points just randomly missing from the league. I'm not just saying it because it's us but I'm this circumstance I really do feel the losing team should get the points as that player changed the outcome of the game in theory - potentially changed the result...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here