Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham fielded an ineligible player against Albion

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Evans fuming............Thats a laugh, he was the stupid man that played the player. They should do it like the old rowing boats in the local park. ''Come in number 16'' yer 28 day loan period is up then the silly people like Evans wouldn't make such basic mistakes

Even if they parked an old park rowing boat in CD, it would not have made any difference to the result.

That's not what happened to Chesterfield when they beat MK Dons after fielding an ineligible player: the game was ordered to be replayed
You're not suggesting shirley that Albion fans be expected to make another trip to Rotherham? That would be a clear breach of our human rights.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think they will wait until after Tuesday. If we lose and slip a little into the mire, I reckon a replay can't be ruled out.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Blatant cheating if ANY club does this !!
3pts should go to the opposition, and 6pts deducted to offending side plus £10k fine IMHO

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The stance on this is also at odds with that taken if it is a cup game. If a club is found to have have fielded an illegible player in a cup win, they are thrown out, and the team they beat go through. They don't say that the victors are disqualified, but the opposition lost so are still out, too.

I see the logic in this, but does it really happen? When we were knocked out of the Cup by West Ham they fielded an ineligible player (Tevez?) who actually scored. What happened? As I recall, not a lot, but perhaps those with better memories can put me right here.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Blatant cheating if ANY club does this !!
3pts should go to the opposition, and 6pts deducted to offending side plus £10k fine IMHO

This could never happen. If the opposition were to benefit from points just because a team cheated on them, who can that be fair on everyone else in the competition? You could have title winners and relegation escapee's purely on the fact a single team cheated against them. A replay maybe, never an awarding of points though.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
This could never happen. If the opposition were to benefit from points just because a team cheated on them, who can that be fair on everyone else in the competition? You could have title winners and relegation escapee's purely on the fact a single team cheated against them. A replay maybe, never an awarding of points though.

I can see where your coming from, but if you cheat a team out of a win why shouldn't that team deserve the 3pts though its not cheating other teams out of anything ?
If we replayed it , it could end up worse for us so why should we ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ability off the offending player or his duration on the pitch is totally immaterial. He is either eligible to play or he isnt whether it be for 1 minute or 90 minutes whether he be a good player or have an absolute shocker. Rotherham should be deducted the points they gained and receive a fine that should be the end of it. No points awarded to us or goals or anything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see where your coming from, but if you cheat a team out of a win why shouldn't that team deserve the 3pts though its not cheating other teams out of anything ?
If we replayed it , it could end up worse for us so why should we ?

Mainly because you can't know you would have won if they didn't cheat, therefore awarding 3pts on the assumption of them winning would completely undermine a league competition. You can deduct points for wrong doing as that specifically only punishes the guilty team, but every point earned has to be because of what has happened on the pitch, not because a disciplinary committee has awarded them.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I don't see what the big deal is with one ineligible player. We've fielded countless ineffectual players this season and got away with it - other than frustration, boredom and wasted time and money we've all endured.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Did it affect the result ? No we would still have been crap no matter who played for them, I hate it when points are given or taken away for administerial errors like this

The rules are there in black and white. If you field an ineligible player, unless you are West Ham*, you have the points obtained in that match taken away.

*West Ham, deservedly, have exemption as they won the World Cup.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The ability off the offending player or his duration on the pitch is totally immaterial. He is either eligible to play or he isnt whether it be for 1 minute or 90 minutes whether he be a good player or have an absolute shocker. Rotherham should be deducted the points they gained and receive a fine that should be the end of it. No points awarded to us or goals or anything.

Absolutely agree.. giving us any points simply disadvantages other teams as well, unfairly. Deducting points from Rotherham dishes out a penalty to them and benefits all other teams in equal measure.. circumstances outside of Rotherham's control that prevented the relevant extension are the only way that I can see a game being replayed, but just dont think that is likely either, escpecially as the impact it has on other Clubs in the relegation scrap would be signififcant if we won.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Fair enough

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I have just emailed Rotherham FC asking for a refund for my match ticket, transport costs, pie and pints. If not, I shall ask TB.

Luckily we don't need the points, would have been interesting if we did.

You watched the game had your pie and pints.Why do you think you may be entitled to refund ??

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I like the idea of a committee of stuffed suits at the FA discussing this in a smoke filled office.

Stuffed suit one - "Well I'm afraid we have no recourse other than to remove three points from Rotherham United effectual forthwith."

Stuffed suit two - "I'm sorry gentlemen but I think we can all agree that Brighton and Hove Albion are completely f**king sh*thouse this season and would not have won the game if Rotherham had fielded Ferne Cotton at centre half."

Stuffed suite three - "Agreed Mr Cholmondly.... overruled."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did it affect the result ? No we would still have been crap no matter who played for them, I hate it when points are given or taken away for administerial errors like this

It did insomuch that player blocked a shot from Bennett that could have resulted in the game being a draw.

It will probably be the same as when Hartlepool beat us whilst fielding an ineligble player. They had 3 points deducted and we got nothing. Which is as it should be.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Stuffed suit two - "I'm sorry gentlemen but I think we can all agree that Brighton and Hove Albion are completely f**king sh*thouse this season and would not have won the game if Rotherham had fielded Ferne Cotton at centre half."

Albion representative - "Sorry to interrupt but do you happen to know if Ferne Cotton can play up front?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here