Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road tax increases

Public transport is not an option for me to get to work - I live in Eastbourne and start work in Haywards Heath at 7am. There is no feasible public transport at the time of the morning so I have to drive.

But to do my bit for the environment, I sold my 2.0 car and got a small 1.25 Fiesta, I car share with a work collegue and our work has agreed to let us do four 10 hour days a week instead of five seven hour days, so we travel less, save fule and clog up the roads less as well.

Alternatively, move closer to where you work or move to a feasible public transport node closer to work?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, this government has well and truley slit its own throat since Brown took over. They are, without a shadow of a doubt, going to get the biggest kicking in history at the next General Election.

Good grief!

People are getting worked up about NOTHING. Or to be more precise ... people are being flooded with propaganda to try to get them worked up.

If you run a 2005 Landrover Discovery 2.7 TdV6 5d and do 12,000 miles a year ...

Current road tax:- £210 a year / 1.75p a mile
Fuel costs (@30mpg / 119.2p a litre / £5.42 per gallon):- £2,168 a year / 18.1p per mile
Add the two together:- £2,378 per year / 19.85p per mile

Road tax from 2010:- £430 a year / 3.58p a mile
Fuel costs (@30mpg / 119.2p a litre / £5.42 per gallon):- £2,168 a year / 18.1p per mile
Add the two together:- £2,598 per year / 21.68p per mile

These proposals hit the gas guzzling four wheel drive freaks by less than 1.83p a mile. If they don't like it, they can drive 1,000 miles a year less and end up SPENDING LESS THAN THEY DO NOW.

Am I bovvered? No.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Don't know any other way to put this but..

The Labour government are complete and utter fuc*ers, they have lost the plot completely and don't know what they are doing !!!!!!!

Brown, walk away now, you are a total thunderc*nt.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good grief!

People are getting worked up about NOTHING. Or to be more precise ... people are being flooded with propaganda to try to get them worked up.

If you run a 2005 Landrover Discovery 2.7 TdV6 5d and do 12,000 miles a year ...

Current road tax:- £210 a year / 1.75p a mile
Add the two together:- £2,378 per year / 19.85p per mile

Road tax from 2010:- £430 a year / 3.58p a mile
Add the two together:- £2,598 per year / 21.68p per mile

These proposals hit the gas guzzling four wheel drive freaks by less than 1.83p a mile. If they don't like it, they can drive 1,000 miles a year less and end up SPENDING LESS THAN THEY DO NOW.

Am I bovvered? No.

You've missed the point LB - it's not the rise in tax that people object to - it's the fact that it applies to more than just new purchases ( note I don't say new cars ). My carrrent car has a £50 rise per year and I've purchased it on a three year deal. When I come to replace it the level of tax applicable to the new car WILL play a part in my decision BUT currently I have no choice but to pay the higher tax. Nothing short of unfair. Common sense dictates you make the change to alter peoples FUTURE actions NOT decisions they took in the past. GB and Darling are completely clueless and I for one, despite having voted for Tony in the past, will not forgive them over recent happenings and will vote Tory just to rid this country of the fools.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Public transport is not an option for me to get to work - I live in Eastbourne and start work in Haywards Heath at 7am. There is no feasible public transport at the time of the morning so I have to drive.

Yes there is. There's a train.

this demonstrates perfectly the problem for those working out side regular hours. have a look at the train times for 7am and, accounting for 15 minutes to get from station to workplace the other end, you are going to be either half an hour early or late. add time to get to the station, you need to account for 1h10m for a train journey door to door verses 40min in the car. which is almost certainly cheaper than the train. still feasible, but not entirely reasonable.

until either the cost of car travel is massivly increased or there is massive investment in rail/bus to effectivly subsidise those whose business hours arent btween 8am-6pm.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that this decision is portrayed in the media as

"43% will pay more road tax"

instead of

"57% will pay the same or less road tax"

...no?

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
What annoys me is that they have acutally changed the tax bands for cars between 100 and 120g/CO2! (or whatever it is)

I live in central Winchester, and my flat hasn't got a car parking space. I nearly bought a low-CO2 car with 119g/CO2 to be eligable for Winchester City Councils' Green Travel Plan - half price car parking in Winchester... The moving of the goal posts by the government would have been really bad for me, as the council would have made my new car ineligable for the discount. Car Parking in Winchester is something like £1200/year to park in a central car park, so a £600 discount would have gone a long way!

you need to account for 1h10m for a train journey door to door verses 40min in the car. which is almost certainly cheaper than the train. .
Yes. NAIL ON HEAD.

Car travel is still CHEAP. Even after this tax increase.

Incidentally ... Box of Frogs has already said that his firm "has agreed to let us do four 10 hour days a week instead of five seven hour days, so we travel less, save fuel and clog up the roads less as well".

Why can't his firm make similar adjustments to encourage people to use the train, so that clogging up the roads is eliminated altogether, rather than just reduced? Or maybe his previous working hours DID suit the train timetable, but no-one in the company ever thought it worthwhile to think about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here