Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road tax increases

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Putting it bluntly I'm f***ing furious and I've no idea if I'm affected ! I'm all for green taxes BUT they need to be fair so should only apply to all cars purchased after it becomes law. It can even apply to second hand cars as you have to send the log book when you buy one.

I really can't wait to see the end of this government and will vote for whoever I think will remove them. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Mine will be going up £100/year.

Agree with Westdene - should apply to new cars purchased AFTER the new laws, so people can make an informed decision based on these factors before they decide to buy a car.

Also makes cars with bigger engines much harder to sell on for those people that can't afford to tax them.

Another own goal by Labour.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have a theory that Labour are trying to make themselves unelectable, so that the tories get in next time and have to bear the brunt of the global financial downturn, paving way for Labour to regain power next time when things are on the up.

Well, I would believe that if I also didn't beleive that these career politicians wouldn't give up any power out of choice once they've got it.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I drive a gas guzzling, polluting, car with about 300 horsepower and more than that CO2.

Mines going up a fiver.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My weekly bus pass went up 50p to £8 , expecting another increase in October when Stagecoach announce another fare increase due to the rising cost of fuel and wages.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im all for using the tax stick to encourageuse of lower polluting cars, but when increases catch sub-2.0l family cars, you know thats its a sham being used to increase general taxation.

this also caught the eye from the member for Lewes:

"Eventually we should cut car taxes and introduce road charges on a pay-as-you-go basis that will not penalise those with no option but to drive,"

so hows that possibly going to work then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Eventually we should cut car taxes and introduce road charges on a pay-as-you-go basis that will not penalise those with no option but to drive,"

so hows that possibly going to work then?

I saw the plans for this in a leaked memo.

You will have to pull up at a kiosk rather like the ones they have at the Dartford crossing. There, you will have to confirm your destination and the reason for your journey to a council-appointed official. He or she will then decide whether or not your journey is entirely necessary by car, and charge you according to the following tariff.

ESSENTIAL journies: 5p per mile
QUITE USEFUL journies: 15p per mile
POINTLESS journies: 30p per mile
FOOTBALL journies: £4.50 per mile

Its going to be piloted in Spring 2009 along the A27, A23, A24 and A264 apparently.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm going up £30 next year, and then another £5 the year after. Thankfully, my Wife's car doesn't change!! Mine's only a 1.4, but it's CO2 emissions are 171g..!! Gutted after I bought it!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I saw the plans for this in a leaked memo.

You will have to pull up at a kiosk rather like the ones they have at the Dartford crossing. There, you will have to confirm your destination and the reason for your journey to a council-appointed official. He or she will then decide whether or not your journey is entirely necessary by car, and charge you according to the following tariff.

ESSENTIAL journies: 5p per mile
QUITE USEFUL journies: 15p per mile
POINTLESS journies: 30p per mile
FOOTBALL journies: £4.50 per mile

Its going to be piloted in Spring 2009 along the A27, A23, A24 and A264 apparently.

For f*** sake - don't give Gordon Brown ideas !!!! It's rather obvious he currently gets his policies from NSCs expert posters ! :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
£ 90 more next year - £ 220 more the year after - still it's only money eh ????

( I think i'll check out the wife's car another day)

Putting it bluntly I'm f***ing furious and I've no idea if I'm affected ! I'm all for green taxes BUT they need to be fair so should only apply to all cars purchased after it becomes law. It can even apply to second hand cars as you have to send the log book when you buy one.

I really can't wait to see the end of this government and will vote for whoever I think will remove them. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

Don't drive. Agree with the principle.

Ultimately the Government has got to be strong, in making people make responsible decisions or pay the consequences.

But it has to apply to new purchases. Darling really is incompetant, nearly all of Labour's media disasters have come from that man!

Government has got to be seen to take the revenue raised and redistribute to green initiatives or public transport.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Don't drive. Agree with the principle.

Ultimately the Government has got to be strong, in making people make responsible decisions or pay the consequences.

But it has to apply to new purchases. Darling really is incompetant, nearly all of Labour's media disasters have come from that man!

Government has got to be seen to take the revenue raised and redistribute to green initiatives or public transport.

I agree - you can't back date new laws and taxes. I'm all for the principle but the application in this case is at best bizarre and at worst incompetent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here