Road tax increases

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buttinhams

Be seeing you!
Apr 24, 2008
It's just another stealth tax, simple as that. He's quite good at those you know. It's a wonder he can walk with all those bullet holes in his feet!

Motoring 'cheaper than in 1988'
The cost of motoring has fallen by 18% in real terms over the past 20 years, despite the price of fuel rising by 210% in that time, an RAC report says.

The motoring group takes inflation into account and says cars are now cheaper overall and need less money spent on them than they did two decades ago.

But 60% of 1,116 people surveyed actually thought higher costs were the biggest change in motoring since 1988.

The RAC's 20th Report on Motoring also reflects on the "menace" of road rage.

'Downright dangerous'

The report says roads have become more crowded and drivers angrier since 1988.

This worrying behaviour becomes downright dangerous when you consider they are behind the wheel of a tonne-and-a-half of metal
Adrian Tink, RAC

Nearly a third of those surveyed said they had been victims of road rage which had left them feeling physically threatened.

Half of them also admitted having sworn, gestured rudely and shouted at other drivers.

The RAC said motorists who did not control their tempers were a "menace" to others on the road.

RAC motoring strategist Adrian Tink said: "It is worrying that millions of motorists are victims of a driving behaviour [road rage] that didn't even have a name 20 years ago.

"This worrying behaviour becomes downright dangerous when you consider they are behind the wheel of a tonne-and-a-half of metal."

ROAD SURVEY DATA
Some 92% believe we are more reliant on our cars than in 1988
Of all households, 75% have a car, while seven out of 10 British adults carry a licence
The number of households with a car has gone from 14m in 1988 to 19.5m - an increase of 39%
Local speed limits of 30mph are accepted by 66% of drivers, but over half want to see motorway limits raised from 70mph to 80mph
The number of women drivers on UK roads has gone from 10.2m to 15.3m
Source: RAC Report on Motoring

The RAC report suggests that road rage and inconsiderate driving are seen as more of a nuisance by motorists than congestion.

Even so, more than half of drivers think Britain's roads will be gridlocked in the next 20 years - despite the average annual mileage of British drivers dropping from 10,200 in 1988 to 9,070 in 2008.

The vast majority (92%) of those surveyed said Britain was a car-dependent society, and more than seven out of 10 drivers said they would find it very difficult to cope without a car.

A third of motorists said they went on shorter journeys than they did 20 years ago, but 9% of drivers said they never walked anywhere.

The report also discloses that three in four of those surveyed want the legal drink-drive limit to be cut.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | UK | Motoring 'cheaper than in 1988'

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
PUBLIC TRANSPORT SHOULD BE TOTALLY RENATIONALISED

It costs 4 TIMES as much during peak time to travel from Crawley to Brighton return than it does in a car (bus-train-bus)
1 1/2 hour trip compared to 35mins in a car

WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE???:rant:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It costs 4 TIMES as much during peak time to travel from Crawley to Brighton return than it does in a car (bus-train-bus)

What public transport needs is £billions spent on it to bring it up to the level now required but I cant see the sort of investment needed being provided whether it stays private or renationalised.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
About time, top work Labour:)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Agreed but on in earth do you do Crawley to Brighton, during rush hour, in 35 minutes ? It takes me 45 on a good day !!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About time, top work Labour:)

Hmmm .... I'm hoping the next thing they back date is student fees. Say a £500 increase per year back dated to 2003 - would you be so keen on that ?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
This is just a revenue raising measure dressed up as a green tax, when there is really nothing greeen about it. Car tax is about taxing people on ownership of cars. How does it matter if you have a gaz guzzler if it only does 2000 miles a year? For once I find myself agreeing in principle with the cock that represents Lewes. The best way to make it 'pay as you drive' is to abolish car tax altogether and put it on petrol and diesel - that way foreign drivers also pay for our roads and polluting our air. And the more petrol you use, the more CO2 you put into the atmosphere.

But if you want to make it green then use the extra revenue to cut the cost of bus and train travel. Then a few more (me included) might get out of their cars in the morning and onto public transport

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Hmmm .... I'm hoping the next thing they back date is student fees. Say a £500 increase per year back dated to 2003 - would you be so keen on that ?

No, but then again being a student isn't destroying the environment.

My point is, if you want to drive a gas guzzler then so be it, but you should pay the price. Whether people like it or not, global warming is happening and everyone has to do their bit. Rising the tax on the gas guzzlers can only be a good thing, and may encourage drivers to switch to more environmentally friendly vehicles.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This Government have to pay for their cock-ups with the abolition of the 10% band so what better way than to "Go green" and clobber the motorist?

The beauty of this scheme is that most of those who lost out re the 10% band will not suffer this tax rise as it will hit the richer owners of the gas guzzlers.

I've never seen such ignorance of tax and economic matters from a Goverment in my whole adult life. Brown and his team are a complete SHOWER.

This is just a revenue raising measure dressed up as a green tax, when there is really nothing greeen about it. Car tax is about taxing people on ownership of cars. How does it matter if you have a gaz guzzler if it only does 2000 miles a year? For once I find myself agreeing in principle with the cock that represents Lewes. The best way to make it 'pay as you drive' is to abolish car tax altogether and put it on petrol and diesel - that way foreign drivers also pay for our roads and polluting our air. And the more petrol you use, the more CO2 you put into the atmosphere.

But if you want to make it green then use the extra revenue to cut the cost of bus and train travel. Then a few more (me included) might get out of their cars in the morning and onto public transport

the weakness (and the one weakness) with that scheme ;)is its politically a hote potatoe, there is enough complaint at the momentconcern fuel duties, and it inputs cost onto all products travelling by road.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Surely if you do away with road tax and put it on to petrol and diesel that will increase the cost of deliveries to shops thus putting up prices of goods? If that happened then your going to start penalising people who dont even drive.

Why the f*** do we even need road tax? The 'gas guzzling' cars will pay more through the petrol pumps as they get less miles for their fuel. It's bad enough that we even have road tax, let alone road tax that's getting more expensive. This country would tax walking if it could.

Therotically we don't, but what party is going to abolish that chest of riches?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Surely if you do away with road tax and put it on to petrol and diesel that will increase the cost of deliveries to shops thus putting up prices of goods? If that happened then your going to start penalising people who dont even drive.
Not necessarily. In some countries (Spain and France, I think?) they give hauliers a rebate on some of the tax they pay at the pump. you could allow samll independent hauliers to claim some of the tax back the way some businesses claim back VAT.

Also this 'delivery to shops' thing alwys makes me laugh. It's the big supermarkets who go on about this because they move their goods all over the country to and from their big distribution depots. If you buy eggs from Tesco in Shoreham that were laid in Sussex what you don't know is that those eggs have been to a distribution depot in central England and then all the way back down south again. Perhaps if the rising cost of fuel made them think twice about sending stuff up and down motorways all the time then maybe it's not such a bad thing after all....

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
mine goes up form 210 a year to 455
i only do about 2000 miles a year in it. f***ing ****s, ive always voted labour , think that may end now.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Public transport is not an option for me to get to work - I live in Eastbourne and start work in Haywards Heath at 7am. There is no feasible public transport at the time of the morning so I have to drive.

But to do my bit for the environment, I sold my 2.0 car and got a small 1.25 Fiesta, I car share with a work collegue and our work has agreed to let us do four 10 hour days a week instead of five seven hour days, so we travel less, save fule and clog up the roads less as well.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not necessarily. In some countries (Spain and France, I think?) they give hauliers a rebate on some of the tax they pay at the pump. you could allow samll independent hauliers to claim some of the tax back the way some businesses claim back VAT.....

If it can be done in a way that does'nt lead to an increase in the cost of consumer goods then it sounds a good idea, but experience teaches you never to trust any changes made by a government when it comes to taxation because it's rarely to our benefit in the long run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports