Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Revisionist claptrap..... GET A GRIP

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Year 1 Saved from League one relegation
Year 2 PROMOTED
Year 3 stayed in the championship (had to be our initial goal). New stadium
Year 4 aiming for playoffs. Increased capacity of stadium.

To me, personally, that's going in the right direction.

I'm a bit confused about how the capacity of the stadium is down to Gus?

I don't want Gus out, but am I concerned that his tactics are not winning us enough games? Yes.

He has totally his own team now, so there are no excuses. Last season we finished 10th, we are currently 8th with a vastly improved squad, so yes it's progress, but I'd like a little bit more, maybe I'm being impatient, but we are now the biggest crowd outside the Premier, so obviously expectations are going to be high - and rightly so

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Another thread about this.. Gus is great, are you happy now?

It is allowed to be disappointed with his management style and still be a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter you know?

Some people think he is too negative in his footballing philosophy (I am one) but I don't for one minute enjoy losing and there is only one thing I want to happen - Brighton success. I'm just not convinced it's going in the right direction at the moment. I hope I'm proved wrong

Re-read my post and try again.

I didn't say I don't have frustrations with Gus at present.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Well said. It is also worth noting that there are a lot more people actively following Brighton now. In the early days of Gus 6000 or so turned out week after week to see the amazing work he was doing on a shoestring budget, now there are another 15K or so on top of that who didn't see it. Maybe they just don't know, or understand the history, and maybe they can't understand why it might be quite difficult for Gus, or any manager for that matter, to adapt to the enormous changes we went through basically overnight.

This is an extremely good point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Year 1 Saved from League one relegation
Year 2 PROMOTED
Year 3 stayed in the championship (had to be our initial goal). New stadium
Year 4 aiming for playoffs. Increased capacity of stadium.

To me, personally, that's going in the right direction.

I don't see how so many can look at the above FACTS and still not be delighted with how things at the club are.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm a bit confused about how the capacity of the stadium is down to Gus?

I don't want Gus out, but am I concerned that his tactics are not winning us enough games? Yes.

He has totally his own team now, so there are no excuses. Last season we finished 10th, we are currently 8th with a vastly improved squad, so yes it's progress, but I'd like a little bit more, maybe I'm being impatient, but we are now the biggest crowd outside the Premier, so obviously expectations are going to be high - and rightly so

The point about the stadium was that this club is GROWING. The capacity would not have been increased if we wern't getting the demand. If you ask people in England to name teams who play good football they are now likely to name us as one of them along with the likes of Arsenal and Swansea. We have an identity and I, for one, love it.

Look at some of the teams we're above and you realise that 4 of any 14 or so teams would have targeted playoffs. Birmingham have a striker on £60k. Blackburn spent £8m on a striker. Wolves got £24m from selling 2 players and re-invested in a squad which still contained premier league regulars. Bolton also kept a lot of their prem players. Blackpool were a lot of peoples choice for promotion. Forest are backed by mega-rich owners.

We are in a ridiculously competeive league. The fact we are 8th with 5 wins in 20 demonstrates that. Gus has now found our missing link that we all agreed on, a striker. I can't wait to see us push on. Maybe we wont make it this season but so what. I'm watching a club that I sat getting rained on at an athletics stadium for 10 years now playing a passing brand of football, with VICENTE and exciting Argentinian strikers. The development is huge and I find no reason to complain.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm pretty sure no team can do both at the same time - you're either on the attack or defending, never both at the same time :thumbsup:

Attack is the best form of defence so you're wrong

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Attack is the best form of defence so your wrong

Really ???

Reading, Champions; scored 69 goals - lowest of the top 5, conceded 41 lowest of the entire division

QPR, Champions; scored 71 goals - lowest of the top 5, conceded 32 lowest of the entire division

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Really ???

Reading, Champions; scored 69 goals - lowest of the top 5, conceded 41 lowest of the entire division

QPR, Champions; scored 71 goals - lowest of the top 5, conceded 32 lowest of the entire division

Its a f***ing saying in sport, never mind. Thanks for running off and getting the stats. Grombleton said I'm pretty sure no team can do both at the same time. I replied with an old saying...whoosh.......................

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its a f***ing saying in sport, never mind. Thanks for running off and getting the stats. Grombleton said I'm pretty sure no team can do both at the same time. I replied with an old saying...whoosh.......................

Nice attempt at covering up. You've said as much about attacking and playing 2 up front in another thread you berk!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice attempt at covering up. You've said as much about attacking and playing 2 up front in another thread you berk!

I'm hardly covering up anything. The point does stand though, if you are attacking you aren't conceding. We can be so negative at times that we hardly have a shot on goal. That's not the forwards fault but the way the team is set up. If you're happy watching us play tippy tappy football in front of the opposition all game without threatening to break them down fine. Pundits have said on telly, opposition managers have said the're happy for us to do it even Wednesday fans on Saturday said to me in their local club post match, we passed them of the park but apart from 15 mins in the second half we were toothless. When we go 1-0 down in a game we continue to play our steady game. Why do you think we have conceded late goals this year? Its due to the opposition changing their tactics added to which Poyet suddenly substituting the forward players with 15mins or so to go and losing the outlets.

I want Poyet to succeed but he really does need to adjust his tactics according to the needs on the pitch. He is not currently getting the best out of his very impressive squad.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Plus Gus turned down jobs at clubs like Blackburn and Wolves (big budgets) to stay with us. Is struggling to attract lots of high quality players at once on a budget that will be in fair play rules, so it takes time, not trying to do it overnight. Has a brilliant vision for all levels of the club and how it should play football.

I love the fact he is in the top ten of longest serving managers already, shows how fickle a lot of fans have become in wanting instant success, I'm on the GUS BUS and taking the longer term view which will make us a stronger club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I get pissed off by the comment about 74 games where we haven't won a game after going 1-0 down. No consideration of the games in that sequence where we have won , drawn or taken the lead first and then lost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have noticed an increasing trend on NSC recently for re-writing history with regards to Gus’ achievements with the club. This is just revisionist drivel, intended to perpetuate an agenda against Gus.

1. “Gus got the job at the right time.”

Bollocks. Gus took over a side that had been struggling in the lower reaches of the 3rd tier for several seasons. If it was such a “good time” to take on the job, why were we in the relegation when he took over? Surely we would have been at least mid-table. Was Slade so clueless? Whilst barely spending a penny in his first season (Painter, Calderon, Holroyd and Barnesy), Gus took us from near dead-certs for relegation to a comfortable mid-table side.

2. “Gus spent a lot of money”

Bollocks. If anyone would be happy to tell me our “big money signings” at the start of the 2010/11 season, then I am all ears. Apart from £250,000 on Gordon Greer and around £200,000 on Craig Noone, Gus did not spend a SINGLE penny on transfer fees during that season.

Southampton, on the other hand, signed Frazier Richardson for a reported £450,000 (officially undisclosed), Ryan Dickson for £125,000, Jack Stephens for £150,000, Richard Chaplow (undisclosed, but believed to somewhere around £800,000) + Jonathan Forte and Du Prado on undisclosed. Even a low estimate would suggest that they probably Forte and Du Prado cost 1 million between them (and it wouldn’t surprise me if Du Prado cost considerably more). That’s an estimated £2.5million compared to less than half a million by Gus. Even allowing for slight speculation on the undisclosed fees that is a HUGE difference. They had also signed Rickie Lambert for 1million the season before.

Southampton were not the only team who spent more than us that season, yet we absolutely romped to the title, and if it wasn’t for end of season complacency once the title had already been wrapped up, we would have comfortably reached 100 points. To achieve this, having taken over an absolute shambles the season before, was nothing short of a f*cking miracle, and anyone who can’t see that is a dribbling imbecile.

Whatever is happening now, and I am quite frustrated with Gus at the moment (whilst believing he is still 100% the man for the job), this re-writing of his achievements is pathetic and complete drivel. I’m actually annoyed that I have just spent half an hour googling “Southampton transfer fees” so can we just put this nonsense to bed now and actually recognise the incredible things Gus has done for this club, regardless of how we might feel about him now?

Excellent post. Of course there are things that Gus could do better, but he is still making progress as pointed out by TLO's post #20.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Closest to fourth from last than we are to fifth, 3 points behind where we were last season in an arguably worse league with a better squad. We are now leaking goals to add to the fact we don't score enough. 2 wins in 10.

No ones arguing Poyet hasn't done a good job for us but people are questioning why our results aren't improving which is fair enough.

We can't seem to defend and attack at the same time we either keep it tight at the back and don't score or go on the attack and concede.

100% This. My biggest gripe is with the lack of physicality in our team. Petulance from Barnes, but nobody other than DibDab and Calderon have an ounce of fight in them. We need to get more players with the size, speed and ability of Will Buckley, and some more nasty fuckers with fight. Where is Danny Cullip these days?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
100% This. My biggest gripe is with the lack of physicality in our team. Petulance from Barnes, but nobody other than DibDab and Calderon have an ounce of fight in them. We need to get more players with the size, speed and ability of Will Buckley, and some more nasty fuckers with fight. Where is Danny Cullip these days?

You're right. Given our EXEMPLARY disciplinary record over the last couple of seasons, what we really need is more angry thugs to get sent off. Cullip is a dinosaur. No place in the modern game for a player like him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I'm sorry but you just don't get many talented 'nasty fuckers'. The reason they've taken the niche of a nasty bastard is because they are lacking in something else.

Danny Cullip was a lower league defender. He could get away with being overly aggressive. Michael Brown is this leagues nasty fucker, Would I want him anywhere near our team based on his ability? Nope.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm sorry but you just don't get many talented 'nasty fuckers'. The reason they've taken the niche of a nasty bastard is because they are lacking in something else.

Danny Cullip was a lower league defender. He could get away with being overly aggressive. Michael Brown is this leagues nasty fucker, Would I want him anywhere near our team based on his ability? Nope.

I share your views about Brown. An odious player with a very short fuse. I'd be horrified if we signed anyone of that ilk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here