Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Revisionist claptrap..... GET A GRIP

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Have noticed an increasing trend on NSC recently for re-writing history with regards to Gus’ achievements with the club. This is just revisionist drivel, intended to perpetuate an agenda against Gus.

1. “Gus got the job at the right time.”

Bollocks. Gus took over a side that had been struggling in the lower reaches of the 3rd tier for several seasons. If it was such a “good time” to take on the job, why were we in the relegation when he took over? Surely we would have been at least mid-table. Was Slade so clueless? Whilst barely spending a penny in his first season (Painter, Calderon, Holroyd and Barnesy), Gus took us from near dead-certs for relegation to a comfortable mid-table side.

2. “Gus spent a lot of money”

Bollocks. If anyone would be happy to tell me our “big money signings” at the start of the 2010/11 season, then I am all ears. Apart from £250,000 on Gordon Greer and around £200,000 on Craig Noone, Gus did not spend a SINGLE penny on transfer fees during that season.

Southampton, on the other hand, signed Frazier Richardson for a reported £450,000 (officially undisclosed), Ryan Dickson for £125,000, Jack Stephens for £150,000, Richard Chaplow (undisclosed, but believed to somewhere around £800,000) + Jonathan Forte and Du Prado on undisclosed. Even a low estimate would suggest that they probably Forte and Du Prado cost 1 million between them (and it wouldn’t surprise me if Du Prado cost considerably more). That’s an estimated £2.5million compared to less than half a million by Gus. Even allowing for slight speculation on the undisclosed fees that is a HUGE difference. They had also signed Rickie Lambert for 1million the season before.

Southampton were not the only team who spent more than us that season, yet we absolutely romped to the title, and if it wasn’t for end of season complacency once the title had already been wrapped up, we would have comfortably reached 100 points. To achieve this, having taken over an absolute shambles the season before, was nothing short of a f*cking miracle, and anyone who can’t see that is a dribbling imbecile.

Whatever is happening now, and I am quite frustrated with Gus at the moment (whilst believing he is still 100% the man for the job), this re-writing of his achievements is pathetic and complete drivel. I’m actually annoyed that I have just spent half an hour googling “Southampton transfer fees” so can we just put this nonsense to bed now and actually recognise the incredible things Gus has done for this club, regardless of how we might feel about him now?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Very well put. Plus, I think you can safely be in a position to think that Gus is the right man for the job AND be frustrated by some of his decisions.

Didn't Huddersfield spend an absolute bucket load of cash at that time too?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Very well put. Plus, I think you can safely be in a position to think that Gus is the right man for the job AND be frustrated by some of his decisions.

Didn't Huddersfield spend an absolute bucket load of cash at that time too?

Well I'm pretty certain they spent more than us (along with several other teams).

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Have noticed an increasing trend on NSC recently for re-writing history with regards to Gus’ achievements with the club. This is just revisionist drivel, intended to perpetuate an agenda against Gus.

Bollocks. Gus took over a side that had been struggling in the lower reaches of the 3rd tier for several seasons. If it was such a “good time” to take on the job, why were we in the relegation when he took over? Surely we would have been at least mid-table. Was Slade so clueless? Whilst barely spending a penny in his first season (Painter, Calderon, Holroyd and Barnesy), Gus took us from near dead-certs for relegation to a comfortable mid-table side.

Bollocks. If anyone would be happy to tell me our “big money signings” at the start of the 2010/11 season, then I am all ears. Apart from £250,000 on Gordon Greer and around £200,000 on Craig Noone, Gus did not spend a SINGLE penny on transfer fees during that season.

Southampton, on the other hand, signed Frazier Richardson for a reported £450,000 (officially undisclosed), Ryan Dickson for £125,000, Jack Stephens for £150,000, Richard Chaplow (undisclosed, but believed to somewhere around £800,000) + Jonathan Forte and Du Prado on undisclosed. Even a low estimate would suggest that they probably Forte and Du Prado cost 1 million between them (and it wouldn’t surprise me if Du Prado cost considerably more). That’s an estimated £2.5million compared to less than half a million by Gus. Even allowing for slight speculation on the undisclosed fees that is a HUGE difference. They had also signed Rickie Lambert for 1million the season before.

Southampton were not the only team who spent more than us that season, yet we absolutely romped to the title, and if it wasn’t for end of season complacency once the title had already been wrapped up, we would have comfortably reached 100 points. To achieve this, having taken over an absolute shambles the season before, was nothing short of a f*cking miracle, and anyone who can’t see that is a dribbling imbecile.

Whatever is happening now, and I am quite frustrated with Gus at the moment (whilst believing he is still 100% the man for the job), this re-writing of his achievements is pathetic and complete drivel. I’m actually annoyed that I have just spent half an hour googling “Southampton transfer fees” so can we just put this nonsense to bed now and actually recognise the incredible things Gus has done for this club, regardless of how we might feel about him now?

:thumbsup:

Hate this site after we lose. It's like people are genuinely pleased to see us fail.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Closest to fourth from last than we are to fifth, 3 points behind where we were last season in an arguably worse league with a better squad. We are now leaking goals to add to the fact we don't score enough. 2 wins in 10.

No ones arguing Poyet hasn't done a good job for us but people are questioning why our results aren't improving which is fair enough.

We can't seem to defend and attack at the same time we either keep it tight at the back and don't score or go on the attack and concede.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Hate this site after we lose. It's like people are genuinely pleased to see us fail.

People are absolutely ecstatic when we've lost, it's pretty sad if we're being polite about it...

Another fantastic post [MENTION=943]Chesney Christ[/MENTION] and I completely agree. It's so easy to look back and say it's been easy for Gus to achieve what he has. But it really hasn't been, he has done a fantastic job and if anything he's made it easier on himself by not being a dribbling idiot. He's done a fantastic job here and you only need to look at some other managers in other jobs for examples of failures.

Gus' biggest problem is that through his own success he has raised the bar massively for himself and all of a sudden top 10 in the Championship would be a failure! Or, in the eyes of the minority anyway. More people than not recognise that you can't reasonably go from crap league 1 to Premier League in the space of a couple of years. Southampton had finished 7th the season before promotion, Norwich bounced back from relegation into that league to do what they've done. There's absolutely no shame at all in the way we've adapted at this level.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Closest to fourth from last than we are to fifth, 3 points behind where we were last season in an arguably worse league with a better squad. We are now leaking goals to add to the fact we don't score enough. 2 wins in 10.

No ones arguing Poyet hasn't done a good job for us but people are questioning why our results aren't improving which is fair enough.

We can't seem to defence and attack at the same time we either keep it tight at the back and don't score or go on the attach and concede.

Exhibit A

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think people are annoyed with Gus because he's not QUITE as good as perhaps we built him up in our heads to be after that league-winning season.

He is STILL a very good young manager with a lot to learn.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

We can't seem to defend and attack at the same time we either keep it tight at the back and don't score or go on the attack and concede.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with any of that.....

I am saying that regardless of anything that is happening now, turning us from a bunch of lower-league cloggers into the best team in League One was nothing short of incredible. That would still be true even if we were now sat at the bottom of the Championship on 10 points.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You can also add the revisionist perspective that Gus was 'lucky' to have won the Third Division, by (at the moment of winning it) 16 points.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Exactly. I actually ignore ANY football thread on here after we lose. It's not hiding from the truth. I know if we've played well or not. However I can't stand how worked up I get when I read some of over-reactionary nonsense put online.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Another thread about this.. Gus is great, are you happy now?

It is allowed to be disappointed with his management style and still be a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter you know?

Some people think he is too negative in his footballing philosophy (I am one) but I don't for one minute enjoy losing and there is only one thing I want to happen - Brighton success. I'm just not convinced it's going in the right direction at the moment. I hope I'm proved wrong

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We can't seem to defend and attack at the same time

I'm pretty sure no team can do both at the same time - you're either on the attack or defending, never both at the same time :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. I'm just not convinced it's going in the right direction at the moment. I hope I'm proved wrong

Year 1 Saved from League one relegation
Year 2 PROMOTED
Year 3 stayed in the championship (had to be our initial goal). New stadium
Year 4 aiming for playoffs. Increased capacity of stadium.

To me, personally, that's going in the right direction.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another thread about this.. Gus is great, are you happy now?

It is allowed to be disappointed with his management style and still be a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter you know?

Some people think he is too negative in his footballing philosophy (I am one) but I don't for one minute enjoy losing and there is only one thing I want to happen - Brighton success. I'm just not convinced it's going in the right direction at the moment. I hope I'm proved wrong

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting better and bigger for the club (i'm sure no-one would want us back in league 1 and back at the Withdean) but i think it's that the opinions are always polar - either "we'll walk this league" or "Gus has no clue, we're relegation fodder at this rate" - both sides are guilty of sensationalism. Both sides need to realise different things - we're not favourite for this league now and we won't be next season either - we're also not going down anytime soon.

If we could amalgamate both sides, it'd be one (admittedly really fat) good group, but human nature means that subjectivity rules. As long as people keep it rational...or avoid this place after a defeat :wink:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Well said. It is also worth noting that there are a lot more people actively following Brighton now. In the early days of Gus 6000 or so turned out week after week to see the amazing work he was doing on a shoestring budget, now there are another 15K or so on top of that who didn't see it. Maybe they just don't know, or understand the history, and maybe they can't understand why it might be quite difficult for Gus, or any manager for that matter, to adapt to the enormous changes we went through basically overnight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly. I actually ignore ANY football thread on here after we lose. It's not hiding from the truth. I know if we've played well or not. However I can't stand how worked up I get when I read some of over-reactionary nonsense put online.

I try to avoid it. The amount of utter BOLLOCKS that is spouted on this site increases tenfold shortly after a loss/draw.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Year 1 Saved from League one relegation
Year 2 PROMOTED
Year 3 stayed in the championship (had to be our initial goal). New stadium
Year 4 aiming for playoffs. Increased capacity of stadium.

To me, personally, that's going in the right direction.

Year 2 - CHAMPIONS
Year 3 - best positional finish in 21 seasons
Year 4 - on course for best positional finish for 22 seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here